Multiple ethernet wall points connected to seperate Decos but single Wifi Network

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

Multiple ethernet wall points connected to seperate Decos but single Wifi Network

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2023-08-16 11:09:08 - last edited 2023-08-17 07:23:56
Model: Deco M5  
Hardware Version: V3
Firmware Version: 1.7.1

I have a new apartment which is wired with CAT5 and has an ethernet wall point in every room.

Ideally I would like to connect a Deco (probably M5) to each wall point (so going back to the base router) but I would like to have a single Wifi network throughout the apartment.  I know I can connect Decos to each other using a cable but can I connect 2/3/4 Decos via ethernet to the same router and have a single Wifi Network.

Rough diagram below

Any help appreciated

Options
1 Accepted Solution
Re:Multiple ethernet wall points connected to seperate Decos but single Wifi Network-Solution
2023-08-16 13:34:59 - last edited 2023-08-17 07:23:56

@cjshunter 

You can connect multiple Satellite Deco by Ethernet cables directly to the router. For that to work, you will need to configure Deco mesh to run in Access Point mode, and usually that's it - as long as router is compatible with Deco mesh Ethernet backhaul. Most routers do.

The topic of Ethernet backhaul discussed here: General questions about Ethernet Backhaul feature on your Deco

After you've configured Main Deco, it'll run in Router mode by default. This is how to switch it (and Deco mesh) to Access Point mode: Switching a Deco to Access Point (AP) Mode

Recommended Solution
Options
3 Reply
Re:Multiple ethernet wall points connected to seperate Decos but single Wifi Network-Solution
2023-08-16 13:34:59 - last edited 2023-08-17 07:23:56

@cjshunter 

You can connect multiple Satellite Deco by Ethernet cables directly to the router. For that to work, you will need to configure Deco mesh to run in Access Point mode, and usually that's it - as long as router is compatible with Deco mesh Ethernet backhaul. Most routers do.

The topic of Ethernet backhaul discussed here: General questions about Ethernet Backhaul feature on your Deco

After you've configured Main Deco, it'll run in Router mode by default. This is how to switch it (and Deco mesh) to Access Point mode: Switching a Deco to Access Point (AP) Mode

Recommended Solution
Options
Re:Multiple ethernet wall points connected to seperate Decos but single Wifi Network
2023-08-16 13:39:51
Thanks Alexandre, I will post if I have any issues
Options
Re:Multiple ethernet wall points connected to seperate Decos but single Wifi Network
2023-08-16 13:50:45

@cjshunter 

One more thing. I have Deco M5s in my mesh. In my speed tests, under perfect testing conditions, wired Satellite M5 can deliver up to 475Mbps on WiFi 5. Which means, expect 300-400Mbps WiFi speeds from M5 in real life. If you are OK with these speeds, M5 is a great choice: from all Deco models it usually one of the first to get firmware updates with new useful features. 

In real life, most wireless devices (other than PC/laptop) do not require speeds faster than 100Mbps, so M5 is more than enough. If you have PCs/laptops that need WiFi speeds faster than what M5 can deliver and your Internet link from the router is 500Mbps or more, you may wish to consider different Deco model.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 263

Replies: 3

Related Articles