SOLVED - Voucher Rate Limit and Traffic Limit Not Working

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2023-08-17 15:04:23 - last edited 2023-08-21 09:25:42
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: 1.0.4

Hi All, this is my first post. I am new to Omada although not new to networking.

My issue is with the Rate Limit option in the Voucher Group Limit that is not being "respected".

I am using the following Omada Products:

Omada Cloud Controller 5.11.44 

TP-Link ER707-M2 (Omada Router) - ER707-M2 v1.0 Firmware: 1.1.0

TP-Link EAP650 Outdoor - EAP650-Outdoor(US) v1.0 Firmware: 1.0.4

In my Wireless Network Setup, i have set Client Rate Limit to Default (no limit) , SSID Rate Limit also to Default (no limit).

Now i have created a Voucher Group where I have set the limit for each individual voucher to 10mbps, I am expecting that all the customer who use the generated voucher will be limited to 10mbps. But whenever i run a speed test or download a sample file, the speed is over 500 to 800 mbps, I have a 1 Gbps connection.With the result of my speed test, I can conclude that there was no Rate Limit applied despite specifying the limit.

Please note that Limiting the Speed via the Client Rate Limit and SSID Rate Limit in the Wireless Network setup works very well with expected throttling being implemented.

It is only on the Rate limit in the Voucher that is not working. 

I own a restaurant / cafe / and a study hall where customer requirement for speed varies. Thus this particular option Rate Limit based on Voucher is very important in my line of business.

Thank you so much. Please let me know if you need any further pictures on my settings / etc.

Ian

Options
1 Accepted Solution
Solution - To Voucher Rate Limit and Traffic Limit Not Working-Solution
2023-08-21 09:23:26 - last edited 2023-08-21 09:23:33

Hi All, I am updating the community to let you know that I have resolved the issue. It could be a noob mistake.

Apparently when you create the Authentication Portal. In the portion where it asked for the SSID & Network, you should include both the SSID and LAN equivalent of the SSID.

After the addition of the LAN Network of the SSID i created, everything worked as designed with Throttle and Bandwidth Consumption detected.

Below illustrates the  download and upload traffic (consumption) being recorded real time. Previously when the LAN equivalent of the SSID network was not added, this portion here was blank.

I hope that this post can help people who are facing similar issues. 

Recommended Solution
Options
8 Reply
Re:HELP- Voucher Group Rate Limit - Not Working (Omada Cloud + EAP650
2023-08-18 07:40:45

In addition to the above, i made further tests. this time for Voucher Side "TRAFFIC LIMIT".

I tested a set limit of 100 mb for 1 voucher with validity of 8 minutes

After stress testing by watching, Youtube Live, Speed Test, browsing and other video sites, my connection was not terminated and in fact continued accordingly.

As you can see on the below DOWNLOAD, my 100 mb voucher limit, went as high as 284.0 MB DOWNLOAD and Upload of 25.7 MB.

I also tested where i set 100 mb limit on the voucher and 5 minutes validity.

I also went above 100 mb limit and browsed a total of 150 mb and continuing until the timer reached 5+ minutes.

So I can conclude that the TRAFFIC LIMIT does not work but the TIME Limit does. (although i noticed it's not on the dot, usually it kicks in after 2-3 minutes, but i'm okay with that)

It is also worthy to note that based on the below voucher information, the Remaining and TOTAL remains the same without any deduction.

I am not sure who is having issue, is it the OMADA CLOUD or the EAP?

I really need help as this feature is the reason why i went for OMADA.

Options
2023-08-18 07:41:23

@IanCC 

How do you test the speed? Are you sure the client device keeps connecting to the portal when you do the speedtest?

Tried to test it with multiple clients.

Just striving to develop myself while helping others.
Options
2023-08-18 08:12:01

Hello, thank you for the response.

When i do the speed test i use speedtest(dot)net. I also use testmy(dot)net, all the same result, it is significantly well above my limit of 5 or 10 mbps. Rather I'd get almost 800mbps.

The device i'm using are iphone, redmi and huawei phones, sim card removed and i "forgot" all the known networks to make sure i'm not connected to any of my home networks. I have also went to use my old but trusty iphone x, which has no simcard and have no history of connecting to any of my existing network. still the same speed result, all above the speed limit. And just recently, on my 2nd post, it also does not follow the TRAFFIC LIMIT set.

So i'm now wondering if it's a cloud controller or my EAP650 issue. My other EAP's are still on the way.

Options
2023-08-18 09:18:07

Continuing with my test....

I noticed that in the Controller Client List shows the session download and upload

while in the voucher management page the Authorized Client area shows 0 download and 0 upload.

The Remaining and USed Data also did not update. 

I think the EAP650 is having this bug

Options
Re:HELP- Voucher Group Rate Limit - Not Working (Omada Cloud + EAP650)
2023-08-18 17:08:12 - last edited 2023-08-18 17:08:28

I'm hoping someone can take notice on this issue, especially the admin/moderator/engineers. I am still to get hold of another EAP (EAP 225) and see if the feature works with another type of EAP. Right now i'm leaning on the possibility that this is an EAP650 specific issue. Another post in the EAP forum discusses almost similar scenario.

If this is really an EAP650/EAP670 issue then i'm in big trouble. I have 10 units coming next week together with the rest of my gears (OC300, Jetstream Switches etc). 

I may run down to the nearby shop tomorrow to get an EAP 225 just for the sake of checking if it's an EAP650 related issue. 

Options
Re:HELP- Voucher Group Rate Limit - Not Working (Omada Cloud + EAP650)
2023-08-21 06:14:05

Hello @IanCC,

May I double-check how many EAPs you currently have?

Are they all EAP650-Outdoor(US) v1 1.0.4? What is the firmware version of EAP670?

Could you re-adopt the APs (Reset it) and test whether you can reproduce the issue again?

Please share the Controller Inform URL with us via the "Messages" on the top right corner of the Forum page.

Best Regards! >> Omada EAP Firmware Trial Available Here << >> Get the Latest Omada SDN Controller Releases Here << *Try filtering posts on each forum by Label of [Early Access]*
Options
Solution - To Voucher Rate Limit and Traffic Limit Not Working-Solution
2023-08-21 09:23:26 - last edited 2023-08-21 09:23:33

Hi All, I am updating the community to let you know that I have resolved the issue. It could be a noob mistake.

Apparently when you create the Authentication Portal. In the portion where it asked for the SSID & Network, you should include both the SSID and LAN equivalent of the SSID.

After the addition of the LAN Network of the SSID i created, everything worked as designed with Throttle and Bandwidth Consumption detected.

Below illustrates the  download and upload traffic (consumption) being recorded real time. Previously when the LAN equivalent of the SSID network was not added, this portion here was blank.

I hope that this post can help people who are facing similar issues. 

Recommended Solution
Options
Solution - To Voucher Rate Limit and Traffic Limit Not Working
2023-08-22 01:53:23

Hi @IanCC,

Thank you for your valued feedback! Glad to hear that your concern was resolved finally.

Hope you enjoy the Internet with TP-Link products and have a great day!

Best Regards! >> Omada EAP Firmware Trial Available Here << >> Get the Latest Omada SDN Controller Releases Here << *Try filtering posts on each forum by Label of [Early Access]*
Options