Unable to access previously managed tp-link devices and cannot re-adopt

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2023-08-18 13:57:59 - last edited 2023-08-18 14:00:48
Model: OC300  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: 1.17.0 Build 20230328 Rel.52369

Longish story. I have 12 tp-link devices (Switches and APs), 6 managed by an OC300 and 6 by an OC200. All living on a 10.132.40.x network.

During an upstream centrally managed switch swap (24 port to 48 port) the OC200 was plugged back into a port with the Wrong VLAN. The effect was that it picked up some other IP address and had internet access but could no long see any of the devices it was managing. But the OC300 could then *could* see the devices, but all tagged as "Managed by Others". Attempting to adopt them into the OC300 pops up the request to enter device's username and password. However entering what i *know* to be the correct credentials returns "Adopt Failed" .. with a message that either the username or password is incorrect. I also cannot login to the local interface of the devices using the known correct credentials.

admin,admin also does not work?

What's going on? Am I really gonig to have to hard reset all of the devices to get them adopted again? Or is there some combo of username and password required for devices in this state?

Thanks!

Options
4 Reply
Re:Unable to access previously managed tp-link devices and cannot re-adopt
2023-08-18 21:56:36

@patmolloy-fnl 

I think if you were to just reconnect the OC200 to the correct port/VLAN and bring it back up it would start to manage its devices again.  Once that happens, you can just do a Site migration from the OC200 to the OC300.  You could then decommission the OC200.  If you wanted all of your devices in the same site/same controller, you'd either have to push each device to a new site, or default them and start from scratch.

<< Paying it forward, one juicy problem at a time... >>
Options
2023-08-19 09:26:25

@d0ugmac1 Thanks! Having been told definitively by the IT folks that the ports on the new switch were exactly the same and everything had been plugged into the right ports, in an epic act of stupidity and self-sabotage I decided the OC200 must have had a whoopsie, so I decided to factory reset it. Of course that did nothing and it was only then that I dug further and eventually discovered what had happened. So it *is* now in the right port and correctly configured on the 10.132.40.x subnet, but has been reset in the meantime.

I factory reset *one* of the APs and got it correctly managed by the OC200.

So the question remains, am I sunk now for the other devices and the only route is to factor reset all of them? I assume this is a security thing .. but have they all been given some new 'default' credential that I could try?? (not admin, admin which you get on factory reset).

Sorry. Calamity somewhat of my own making!

Options
2023-08-19 21:51:35

@patmolloy-fnl 

Yes, if you reset the controller and have no backup to restore, you must default the orphaned devices.  FML is correct.

<< Paying it forward, one juicy problem at a time... >>
Options
2023-08-20 10:24:27

@d0ugmac1 Thanks for confirmation of my sinking feeling. Sigh. Measure twice and cut once and all that!

Options

Information

Helpful: 1

Views: 472

Replies: 4

Related Articles