BT Smart Hub 2 & Deco M5 Router mode or Access Point Mode?m

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2023-08-18 23:33:09 - last edited 2023-08-21 03:50:26

Just signed up for BT Broadband after a house move. FTTC at about 35GB. Been sent a Smart Hub 2. Couple of areas of the house with poor Wi-fi coverage so was going to use some M5 Decos to assist. My question: With a Smart Hub 2 is it better to have Decos in router mode or in Access Point mode?

Options
1 Accepted Solution
Re:BT Smart Hub 2 & Deco M5 Router mode or Access Point Mode?m-Solution
2023-08-19 00:35:53 - last edited 2023-08-21 03:50:26

@Chilv 

In that setup, where you have ISP router (BT Smart Hub 2) it would be better to run Deco mesh in Access Point mode.

Also, if you can wire some or all Satellite Decos to the BT Smart Hub 2, then you definitely should do that and for that to work Deco mesh must run in Access Point mode.

Recommended Solution
Options
4 Reply
Re:BT Smart Hub 2 & Deco M5 Router mode or Access Point Mode?m-Solution
2023-08-19 00:35:53 - last edited 2023-08-21 03:50:26

@Chilv 

In that setup, where you have ISP router (BT Smart Hub 2) it would be better to run Deco mesh in Access Point mode.

Also, if you can wire some or all Satellite Decos to the BT Smart Hub 2, then you definitely should do that and for that to work Deco mesh must run in Access Point mode.

Recommended Solution
Options
Re:BT Smart Hub 2 & Deco M5 Router mode or Access Point Mode?m
2023-08-19 08:43:38

@Alexandre. Fantastic - thank you. 

Options
2023-08-19 17:19:23

So, follow up question. I have attached 1 Deco to Smart Hub 2 via Ethernet cable and set up Deco using the app. It made me set up a network name and it defaults to router mode. Used advanced settings to switch to Access Point mode.

But I'm still seeing 2 x wireless networks now on my devices - the original BT network and the network name I created via the app. I had assumed in access point mode there would just be the one original BT network in operation?

I don't want to have to switch between networks depending on whether I'm in range of Smart Hub or Deco. How do i resolve this?

Options
2023-08-19 19:27:00

@Chilv 

To have one WiFi network, you should turn off WiFi network from BT Smart Hub 2. Your Deco mesh will be providing WiFi signal.

Despite "Access Point" name, Deco mesh will not be extending BT Smart Hub 2 WiFi network. Deco mesh always runs its own WiFi network.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 485

Replies: 4

Related Articles