Does ER8411 have the ability to assign static WAN IPs per VLAN (Outbound NAT)

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2023-08-21 22:21:48
Model: ER8411  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: 1.1.0

Currently use a PFsense firewall but looking to see if we can use an ER8411 instead.

We have a block of 13 static public IP addresses from our ISP. With PFSense, I have the ability to assign each subnet/network its own static public IP to use for outbound connections (PFSense refers to this as "Outbound NAT"). This is in addition to 1:1 NAT where a static public IP can be dedicated to a single host.

Is there any way to do this on the ER8411 (adopted to Omada controller, not standalone)? Would setting up a 1:1 NAT entry to the gateway address for each network (192.168.1.1 for VLAN 1, 192.168.2.1 for VLAN 2, etc.) work to accomplish the same thing?

Tried a search and haven't been able to find any previous discussion about this feature. Appreciate any info.

Options
4 Reply
Re:Does ER8411 have the ability to assign static WAN IPs per VLAN (Outbound NAT)
2023-08-22 09:37:35

@gfc have you tried to use policy routing? something would be similar to what you described. 

ScReW yOu gUyS. I aM GOinG hoMe. —————————————————————— For heaven's sake, can you write and describe your issue based on plain fact, common logic and a methodologic approach? Appreciate it.
Options
Re:Does ER8411 have the ability to assign static WAN IPs per VLAN (Outbound NAT)
2023-08-23 00:35:25

+1 on policy routing:

Options
2023-08-23 00:59:25

@Tedd404 @Bonesoul

Thank you for the suggestion. However, I think I just found a bigger issue--apparently the ER8411 can't (yet?) set multiple static IPs on the same WAN link. I say this after looking at the release notes for the controller 5.12.x, which says:

• WAN IP Alias

Added support for WAN IP Alias in Site view > Settings > Wired Networks > Internet. This feature allows you to configure multiple IP addresses on a single WAN port and use these IP addresses for port forwarding.

Also, the latest beta firmware 2.1.4 for the ER605 v2 mentions in the release notes:

3.  Add support for configuring multiple IP addresses on the WAN port.

Even though the ER8411 just got new 1.1.0 firmware a couple of weeks ago, the release notes for it say nothing about multiple IPs per WAN connection, so I'm guessing that it isn't possible.

Can anyone who has an ER8411 confirm? Can anyone from TP-Link comment on whether this is a feature they plan to add to the ER8411?

Thank you.

Options
2023-08-23 01:47:58

@gfc 

so last year people were complaining about the "lack of features". so this year tp-link speeds it up and adds tons of new features. so if you find out a new feature on the controller, you should wait for the firmware comes later to adapt. 

if you expect a sync release of firmware and controller, you probably wait for a quarter or half year for a synced release. 

but it is there, on the controller, meaning it is supposed to be added in the future. basically you can sit back and wait for the firmware.

if you are looking for a specific feature, which is not listed in the release note, then there is not. you gotta wait for the firmware.

ScReW yOu gUyS. I aM GOinG hoMe. —————————————————————— For heaven's sake, can you write and describe your issue based on plain fact, common logic and a methodologic approach? Appreciate it.
Options

Information

Helpful: 1

Views: 824

Replies: 4

Related Articles