WAN Link Unstable

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

WAN Link Unstable

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
WAN Link Unstable
WAN Link Unstable
2023-08-23 10:01:16
Model: ER7206 (TL-ER7206)  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: 1.3.0

Hi,

i would like to reopen this topic... previous one(s) seem to have closed and I was unable to find any resolution.

Once, twice daily, at random times, my WAN fails for about 1-2 min due to;

[Failed]VPN-ROUTER failed to obtain the IP address for SFP WAN because no response from the server.

my WAN config is set to dynamic (as is required with my ISP)

the WAN interface is directly connected to the ISP modem.

this has been going on for about a year.

I did contact the ISP - they found nothing wrong on their end - modem connection is stable.

the modem does stay on, connected, during these events.

the modem is in bridge mode and the tp-link 7206 does receive the public IP on the WAN side.

it always has received the same public IP for the last year.

I did contact TP-Link support and followed their basic methods of troubleshooting, which led to nothing.

'Add DNS to WAN interface, clone MAC etc...'

As a test, I have placed another device, running OPNsense on my ISP modem; I cannot replicate the issue with that device, the uplink seems stable.

aside from migrating away from the TP-Link eco system, are there any other folks out here that have been successfully fixing this issue?

I do have the following devices in my network;TP-link 7206, TP-link 24-port POE switch, OC200 and 3 TP-link AP's.

all devices run the latest firmware.

thanks very much!

Options
9 Reply
Re:WAN Link Unstable
2023-08-23 18:28:18

@PeterAl 

Have you tried using the copper port as a WAN and see if it holds?

Just for a test.  

I can not teach anyone anything - I can only make them think - Socrates
Options
2023-08-23 19:51:21

@KimcheeGUN 

I actually have tried that but no luck, same issues continued.

As a matter of fact, that caused other problems... all my VPN configs tied to the SFP WAN were wiped and I had to rebuild those - L2TP never worked again after that...

even afterreverting back to a backup from the day before did not help me there either... I'm still without LT2P... (client to site)

Options
2023-08-23 19:57:42

@KimcheeGUN 

im now now trying different MTU settings... the 7206 defaults to 1500... perhaps there could be an issue with that?

I change to 1420 this morning to see how that goes... if it holds, I will increase again to test if the issue comes back.

Options
2023-08-24 02:49:16

Hi @PeterAl 

Thanks for posting in our business forum.

If it is an MTU issue, then it is your ISP's fault and they failed to notify you about changing it. MTU 1500 is the default.

Have you ever tried to use a computer to connect to the modem and test it? How often does it happen per day? How long did you test with that OPNsense?

If it is on and off every day, at random times, you should run a PC or OPNsense router for at least a day and try to reproduce it.

If you are capable of Wireshark to analyze it, that would be better. How to capture packets using Wireshark on SMB router or switch

Wireshark would be done at the same time. If your OPNsense works perfectly all the time, but ER7206 does not, you should compare the the Wireshark result and see what's missing or wrong.

BTW, who's your ISP?

Best Regards! If you are new to the forum, please read: Howto - A Guide to Use Forum Effectively. Read Before You Post. Look for a model? Search your model NOW Official and Beta firmware. NEW features! Subscribe for the latest update!Download Beta Here☚ ☛ ★ Configuration Guide ★ ☚ ☛ ★ Knowledge Base ★ ☚ ☛ ★ Troubleshooting Manual ★ ☚ (Disclaimer: Short links are used above solely for guidance to TP-Link subdomains and are safe and tracker-free. Exercise caution with short links from non-official members on forums. We are not liable for external content or damage from non-official members' link use.)
Options
2023-09-03 09:37:12

@Clive_A  sorry for the late reply. After some days last week with multiple daily WAN resets, and a few times the er7206 wouldn't even pass traffic after the WAN came back online (needed to power cycle the ER7206), I moved to an alternate test.

I decommissioned a v1.0 ER605 from one of my other locations and used it to replace the er7206. At least that allowed me to stay in the Omada Eco-system for now.

well, 48hrs later, the WAN has not flapped once. I'm convinced something is not right with the er7206 or the software it runs.

I will continue to explore my options (Omada versus others) as it is a major inconvenience to bring my LAN etc offline every time to troubleshoot.

I will post a further update a week or so from now to let you know if the ER605 remains stable.

ideally I want the ER7206 to function as designed, just not sure how much energy and time I want to spend to troubleshoot this further.

Options
2023-09-03 15:20:47 - last edited 2023-09-03 15:22:29

@PeterAl 

Something has to be quirky with your environment... I have er605 and er7206 in the wild with no issues with Dynamic WAN settings.  

OR by chance you got a faulty device.  

I can not teach anyone anything - I can only make them think - Socrates
Options
2023-09-04 01:27:17

Hi @PeterAl 

PeterAl wrote

@Clive_A  sorry for the late reply. After some days last week with multiple daily WAN resets, and a few times the er7206 wouldn't even pass traffic after the WAN came back online (needed to power cycle the ER7206), I moved to an alternate test.

I decommissioned a v1.0 ER605 from one of my other locations and used it to replace the er7206. At least that allowed me to stay in the Omada Eco-system for now.

well, 48hrs later, the WAN has not flapped once. I'm convinced something is not right with the er7206 or the software it runs.

I will continue to explore my options (Omada versus others) as it is a major inconvenience to bring my LAN etc offline every time to troubleshoot.

I will post a further update a week or so from now to let you know if the ER605 remains stable.

ideally I want the ER7206 to function as designed, just not sure how much energy and time I want to spend to troubleshoot this further.

Strange enough. So, now you are with MTU 1420 and ER605 V1 is stable. Right? You can test a few days and check it with ER7206 later to see if the issue occurs again.
Rare to see such an issue. Is everything up to date? If no, please update all of them to the latest.

It's hard to tell if there is a problem with the hardware but you can swap it with your retailer. And check again.

Best Regards! If you are new to the forum, please read: Howto - A Guide to Use Forum Effectively. Read Before You Post. Look for a model? Search your model NOW Official and Beta firmware. NEW features! Subscribe for the latest update!Download Beta Here☚ ☛ ★ Configuration Guide ★ ☚ ☛ ★ Knowledge Base ★ ☚ ☛ ★ Troubleshooting Manual ★ ☚ (Disclaimer: Short links are used above solely for guidance to TP-Link subdomains and are safe and tracker-free. Exercise caution with short links from non-official members on forums. We are not liable for external content or damage from non-official members' link use.)
Options
2023-09-12 01:00:53

@Clive_A 

the 605 was not all that stable at all, after a few days of no issues, it failed hard last Friday and was down for 3 hours after which it crashed, rebooted itself and came back online.

during this event, I spoke with my ISP and they told me that the modem was still live (they could reach it) and asked me to reboot the router. As I was out of town, I was planning to do that upon my return, however it had rebooted itself before I got back.

so on Saturday morning, I figured I will give the 7206 another shot.

'I reset it to standalone mode, downgraded to the previous firmware and re-upgraded to the latest to try and start with a clean slate.

it ran for 48 hours+ until today without not even 1 issue... then it lost connectivity. I reset the modem as that sometimes helps but no luck.

in my Omada dashboard the 7206 showed offline although it was on and all interfaces had the proper lights lit.

'I did a hard reboot (pulled plug and waited a minute) and then it rebooted, power led on but it took 5+ minutes for the lan/wan lights to come on.

it is up and running again stable (for the past 3 hours)... strange ...

im still not able to pinpoint if the issue is software/hardware and if it's the TP-link gear or modem...

I wish I could pull more detailed logs of the 7206 that shows me exactly what happens when it goes wrong!

Options
2023-09-12 01:54:53

Hi @PeterAl 

PeterAl wrote

@Clive_A 

the 605 was not all that stable at all, after a few days of no issues, it failed hard last Friday and was down for 3 hours after which it crashed, rebooted itself and came back online.

during this event, I spoke with my ISP and they told me that the modem was still live (they could reach it) and asked me to reboot the router. As I was out of town, I was planning to do that upon my return, however it had rebooted itself before I got back.

so on Saturday morning, I figured I will give the 7206 another shot.

'I reset it to standalone mode, downgraded to the previous firmware and re-upgraded to the latest to try and start with a clean slate.

it ran for 48 hours+ until today without not even 1 issue... then it lost connectivity. I reset the modem as that sometimes helps but no luck.

in my Omada dashboard the 7206 showed offline although it was on and all interfaces had the proper lights lit.

'I did a hard reboot (pulled plug and waited a minute) and then it rebooted, power led on but it took 5+ minutes for the lan/wan lights to come on.

it is up and running again stable (for the past 3 hours)... strange ...

im still not able to pinpoint if the issue is software/hardware and if it's the TP-link gear or modem...

I wish I could pull more detailed logs of the 7206 that shows me exactly what happens when it goes wrong!

Export the running log then. It gives a very detailed interaction between the controller and the devices. 

ER605 rebooted itself?? Is it true? Or your WAN simply recovers? Check the uptime. You should export the running log and check it. I am quite suspicious while I am running both ER605 V1 and ER605 V2 for tests. Our team hosted another ER605 in the lab and didn't face a lot of disconnection issues unless the cable was touched by someone else in the lab.

If you experience the same issue on the ER7206, then it's definitely your ISP or modem issue.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 322

Replies: 9

Related Articles