EAP620 HD WiFi connection issues on some devices (Clients)

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2023-08-28 12:27:16 - last edited 2023-08-28 12:42:14
Model: EAP620 HD  
Hardware Version: V2
Firmware Version: 1.0.3 Build 20220325 Rel. 58174(5553)

Hi,

Problem Definition:

All of my wireless clients can see the SSID associated to my EAP620 Accesspoint. However, only a few clients (that are configured to static IP) able to access internet through this SSID. For the rest of the clients like our office laptops where DHCP is only the option, can see the SSID but unable to connect to the internet.

Initially, all the clients in our home are DHCP enabled. Over a period of time, I see the clients like our TV's when tried to connect to the SSID, is showing "acquiring IP address" status for a long time. So, I changed the configuration of the TV from DHCT to Static IP and it worked. 

But for our office laptops, we dont have an option to set them to static IP and most of the times, I had to reboot the Accesspoint for the laptop to get the internet. Also, sometimes I see internet drops from the accesspoint all of sudden.

Need your expert advice here.

One more thing is in the logs I see

I see multiple clients faied to connect to AP due to "WPA Authentication times out/failed".

Device Model  : EAP620 HD

Firmware Version : 1.0.3 Build 20220325 Rel. 58174(5553)

Hardware Version : 2.0

Thanks

DS

Options
2 Reply
Re:EAP620 HD WiFi connection issues on some devices (Clients)
2023-08-28 16:38:51

@darksmile79 

Hey

I see multiple clients faied to connect to AP due to "WPA Authentication times out/failed".

This is simply a device that is out of range / too weak a signal to establish a conenction / or gone offline and therefore failed to complete the connection successfully.  You will get these, its not unexpected.

In terms of the DHCP, if you are not getting a DHCP its not the Access Point, likely your router that is the issue.   Especially if you can manually set a DHCP and it works.   I would check your router first, make sure the DHCP scope is large enough to cover you devices.   DHCP is not anything to do with the Access Point

Options
Re:EAP620 HD WiFi connection issues on some devices (Clients)
2023-09-10 06:48:28

@Philbert I think the "WPA Authentication times out/failed" might be an error that is indicative of the overall issue, whatever that might be.  I have the same thing happen on an EAP670 on the latest firmware.  Devices start to be unable to connect, it seems predominantly to 2.4GHz channels.  Rebooting the AP fixes it for a little bit, maybe a day or two.  Completely factory defaulting and re-adding it seems to fix it for longer often a month or two.  Every time I can tell it is starting to be a widespread outage and not just a random single device because the logs will be full of the "WPA Authentication times out/failed" events for a bunch of devices.  And this is for things like, TVs, chromecasts, my robot vacuum base station, my bed.  Stuff that isn't moving around.  So I will forget the AP and let if factory reset and then re-adopt it to kick the issue down the line for another month or two.

I will then have zero of the "WPA Authentication times out/failed" events for a month or two until I start noticing stuff not connecting again and I check the logs and the errors are back starting when the wireless connectivity issues started.  No new devices added, no changes to the network.  In my case, my pihole is acting as a DHCP server separate from my router and has plenty of room in the ip pool.  And if it was an issue with either the router or DHCP server then factory resetting the AP would not fix the issue.

Maybe this guys issue is different, but it sounds like the exact same one I've been dealing with for the last 6 months or so.  No clue what the solution is though, hence why I search for anyone running into the same issue every month or two in case someone has managed to fix it so... if anyone has any idea's I'm up to try them.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 609

Replies: 2

Related Articles