Slow Wifi Speed with EAP230-Wall

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2023-08-29 18:55:39
Model: EAP230-Wall   OC200  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: 3.1.1 Build 20230414 Rel. 54637

Hello! At home I switched from a single wifi-router to an Omada-based setup featuring an OC200 Controller and two EAP230-Wall APs.

Ever since I installed the APs and switched off my routers wifi, I noticed much slower Wifi-Speeds than before. On my phone I measured between 80 and 100 Mbit/s before the installation. Afterwards it has been between 1 and 20 Mbit/s. My appartment is connected to a 100 Mbit/s line and I can get to 100 Mbit/s when connecting via Ethernet. All Wifi peripherals show full connection throughout the whole appartment, so I doubt, that reach is the issue.

I already took a good look at the Omada Web UI and tried optimizing the Wifi channels. After I switched auto-selection off and tried out other ones after analyzing my wireless neighborhood, it got even worse, so I went back to auto-channel-selection. Note that AI Wifi Optimization was also tried out but didn't provide any noticeable difference.

One oddity that I noticed, is that the 2.4 Ghz connections are running at nearly full capacity, while the 5 Ghz channels are basically unoccupied. When I switched off 2.4 Ghz the issues on the phone went away, but some smart home devices couldn't connect. So switching off 2.4 Ghz is not an option for me.

I plugged in an ethernet cable at the APs and got a consistent 90 Mbit/s of downstream (whereas it was a solid 100 Mbit/s on all Ethernet-only sockets). So I guess it's also not a problem of the cable connection.

Does that sound like a known problem? Any ideas what could have gone wrong?

Options
7 Reply
Re:Slow Wifi Speed with EAP230-Wall
2023-08-29 22:00:13

@tim-hilt 

Its totally common for 2.4ghz to be flooded, in fact i would be suprised more if it wasnt.   5ghz is your best answer and will offer the fastest speeds.

Have you set your SSID for both 2.4 and 5ghz frequencies on the same SSID?   If so have you enabled Band Steering and set preference to allow devices to move to the faster 5ghz?  This is all done via the controller

Options
2023-08-30 06:55:58

@Philbert Hello and thanks for your reply! I just checked and the SSIDs and passwords are the same for both APs. But I cant find the option to control Band Steering! Not in the controllers settings and not in the AP-device-settings. I also tried searching for the setting with the search-functionality but nothing was found. I also installed the iOS app, but didn't find the setting there.

How can I set Band Steering? Where do I have to look to find that setting?

Options
2023-08-30 13:00:04

@tim-hilt 

Working from memory here as i dont have a controller near me..  however its not an option on the App, you need to access the controller via the GUI

On the controller, its under   SETTINGS  >  SITE  >   tick ADVANCED FEATURES and it will be in there.. hopefully that is correct! 

Once enabled advanced features you will see more tick boxes for band steering, roaming etc..  personally i enable all these and select PREFERE 5/6ghz

That hopefully will do it for you

Options
2023-08-31 06:57:34

@Philbert Thanks for the reply! I found the settings exactly how you described. Now my advanced settings look like this (I do have clients that are 802.11k/v enabled, so enabling fast roaming makes sense for me too):

I haven't touched the beacon control yet, because I don't understand what the values are saying.

Now that band steering is enabled, I expected for example my iPhone to be connected to the 5 GHz band. But unfortunately this is not the case. I assume that I have to tweak one of the threshold-parameters, so that it switches to 5 GHz faster.

Can you explain how I could achieve this? Or is there maybe another mystery at stake?

Options
2023-08-31 16:53:15

@tim-hilt 

You dont need to worry about beacon control, really no need to adjust any of that stuff.   Airtime Fairness I do tend to enable on 2.4ghz only as its really congested and that helps with capacity and timings for IOT devices.

In terms of the thresholds, you shouldnt need to do anything as this should just work now..  However try rebooting your APs to get them to pull the updated policy.    Ive also found on Apple devices that you sometimes need to remove and re-add the WiFi to get it to work.

Options
2023-08-31 20:06:10

@Philbert I'm very thankful for all of your responses. However, I feel dumber and dumber the more stuff I try out. I'm sorry, but after doing exactly what you described (which I can really see how it should make a difference), my pie-chart for the clients used bands still looks like this:

Sometimes I see one client switching to 5 GHz, but after refreshing the webpage, it already went up to 100% 2.4GHz. Maybe it really is a hardware fault? I can't explain it to myself any other way. My devices always show 2 or 3 of 3 bars of signal strength.

Options
2023-09-03 15:22:45

@tim-hilt 

There will always be a delay of 30 secs or so on the controller webpage so dont take this as gospel, however if you have the same SSID set for both 2.4 and 5ghz enabled, band steering enabled then this should be all you need to get this working.

In terms of signal strength, dont be using the bars.. they lie.  Refer to the controller and get the clients -db strength as its much more accurate.   Apple devices are really bad in that respect and tend be inaccurate in the bars meter.

Options