Wirelessly extend a wired network

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

Wirelessly extend a wired network

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
16 Reply
Re:Wirelessly extend a wired network
2023-09-26 11:46:23 - last edited 2023-09-26 12:17:21

@Nuss  As stated I am doing virtually the same thing and not in just one location. I have 11 additional cameras in the system.

If you can connect to the AP in question wirelessly and get connectivity, then the issue is likely at the switch out, whether it be configuration error or a compatability issue. 

There are a few things you can try.

1. Temporarily power the AP with its own POE adapter.

• Connect a cable from the POE adapters LAN Port to Port 5 on the POE switch. Leave Cam connected to POE Switch.

2. Temporarily remove the POE Switch.

• Power the AP with its own POE adapter.
  • Power the Camera with its own AC adapter or POE adapter.
  • Connect the camera to the LAN Port on the AP POE adapter

Options
2023-09-26 12:57:16
Please try the POE injector approach, that will remove the layer2 issue from the equation that is introduced by having an active device like a switch or router inbetween the EAP and the camera. Replacing a switch with a router will not help if this is the problem. If you don't have one, try connecting a laptop directly to the EAP, and then try to ping/traceroute it from another node in your network. If that works, re-insert the POE switch between the EAP and the laptop and re-test. Does your router have the ability to add static ARP entries?
<< Paying it forward, one juicy problem at a time... >>
Options
Re:Wirelessly extend a wired network-Solution
2023-09-26 20:22:41 - last edited 2023-09-27 06:03:54

So I'm replying to my original post before the high jack.

Got all of this setup onsite today.  I did the original setup in my office, then took all the hardware onsite for setup.  Everythnig went smoothly, adapter to the new and different network environment.  Checked speedtest.net at the main router and had 49 MBps, at the remote site go 40MBps. Everyone is happy!  I like this setup with the Omada Hardware controller.  Very simple, just adopted the "Root" EAP, then powered on the second EAP, the software saw it and adopted it.  Done.

Thanks for the help from everyone.

Ray

Recommended Solution
Options
2023-09-26 20:28:50
Ray, thanks for the checkback. Glad to hear things worked out for you in the end. I've been running controller based Meshes for a couple of years now and when the signal is good, they really seem rock solid.
<< Paying it forward, one juicy problem at a time... >>
Options
2023-09-26 21:37:54

@d0ugmac1 

Yeah I'm very happy with this.  Another tech friend of mine said he was going to experiment with this.  So I saved him some time by doing this, so he'll be happy with my report.

Thanks again to everyone who had input on this.

Options
2023-09-29 06:37:14
thx a lot....for your help.
Options
Related Articles