Get the list of most visited domains and monitoring of internet bandwidth consumption per VLAN

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

Get the list of most visited domains and monitoring of internet bandwidth consumption per VLAN

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2023-09-22 19:49:16 - last edited 2023-09-22 19:50:33
Model: OC200  
Hardware Version: V2
Firmware Version: 1.24.0 Build 20230328 Rel.52384

Hi.

I am interested in obtaining some specific information regarding my network setup managed by the Omada hardware controller. Here is a breakdown of the equipment I have:

• 01 - ER605 v2.0 (Router)
  • 01 - TL-SG2428P v4.0 (Switch)
  • 10 - EAP245(US) v3.0 (EAP)

Currently, I have nearly 100 clients connected via Wi-Fi, and they are distributed across different VLANs for network segmentation. I am looking to gather the following data:

1. A list of the most frequently visited domains over specified timeframes (daily and weekly).
  2. Real-time monitoring of internet bandwidth consumption per VLAN.

Is it possible to achieve these objectives with this setup?

Thanks!

Options
4 Reply
Re:Get the list of most visited domains and monitoring of internet bandwidth consumption per VLAN
2023-09-23 15:07:08

@blindox 

1. No, but it wouldn't take much to add a pihole to your setup.  That might give you the level of detail you seek.

2. Add an Omada controller, that will keep BW stats per SSID, and typically SSIDs map to unique VLANs.

I built a USD55 Raspberry Pi clone which runs both PiHole and Omada.

<< Paying it forward, one juicy problem at a time... >>
Options
Re:Get the list of most visited domains and monitoring of internet bandwidth consumption per VLAN
2023-09-23 16:13:05

@d0ugmac1 
Thanks for your reply!

I've the pihole configured on a AWS and configured on my omada as the primary DNS Server:

But, as you know, Pihole is tool focus on AdBlock so, as the network monitoring it even delivers some features, however, all focused on its main function. For example, if I want to see which device is having high consumption, Example: accessing Akamai to perform Windows updates, I cannot understand that access to the Akamai domain is draining all the bandwidth of the specific VLAN. On my previous Router (Fortiwifi 60D), I have real-time access to the most consulted domains and, in my opinion, the Tplink have a better report than this commented device from Fortinet. 
I believe that omada will introduce this report in future updates, since the router is the device that is in the midst of all this demand generated by clients.

Options
2023-09-23 19:15:06

@blindox 

I'd suggest running an SNMP server, Observium is a good server to use.  

It's not live stats from all your devices, but it updates every few seconds.  

It will give you good stats of previous days results.  

I can not teach anyone anything - I can only make them think - Socrates
Options
2023-09-23 20:58:03

@KimcheeGUN , thanks for your reply.

I am researching about this mentioned tool and for sure I will give it a try! Thanks! yes

Options

Information

Helpful: 1

Views: 329

Replies: 4

Related Articles