Can I Wirelessly Mesh EAP225-Outdoor Access Points Together?

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2023-09-25 04:15:52
Tags: #Mesh

Hi,

I liked to know whether i can wirelessly mesh a few of the mentioned APs together to create a network without physical cable to a PoE switch?
If it can be done, then which router model shall i get?

Thanks in advance.

Options
4 Reply
Re:Can I Wirelessly Mesh EAP225-Outdoor Access Points Together?
2023-09-25 08:48:54

Hello @JesChia,

There is a compatibility list that contains EAP model numbers that support the Mesh feature currently.

You may choose an Omada router, the specific model number you can refer to this list.

Best Regards! >> Omada EAP Firmware Trial Available Here << >> Get the Latest Omada SDN Controller Releases Here << *Try filtering posts on each forum by Label of [Early Access]*
Options
2023-09-25 11:10:06 - last edited 2023-09-25 12:02:35

@JesChia the devices you mentioned use OMADA MESH.

OMADA MESH Requires

• At least two Omada Mesh Compatible APs
  • At least one of the two APs must be wired
  • One Software Controller (free) or Hardware Controller ($100)

So if you are asking if you can take, for example, three EAP225 Outdoor APs and create a MESH without having at least one of them wired, the short answer is NO. You need at least one Omada Mesh Compatible AP that is wired. 

There is away around this but it requires two more pieces of equipment and LINE OF SIGHT for those two devices. It also means getting POE power to two more devices. You can use two CPE710 or two CPE510.

Controller---Switch---CPE AP )))    ((( CPE CLIENT---EAP225Outdoor#1 )))     ((( 1 or more remote EAP225Outdoor

The topology I listed above does not show the POE adapters in place, so keep in mind you will have multiple POE adapters to deal with.  In this configuration, the EAP225Outdoor#1 is considered a wired EAP. The only reason to even use this is if your install environment has limitations that prevent you from having a cable from the switch to the ROOT AP. 

Options
2023-09-26 03:22:05

Hi @Hank21 ,

Thanks for the reply. I read that Omada Mesh requires the use of Omada Controllers. Must the Root AP be wired link to omada controller? Can it be wifi link?

My use case is that i do not require internet access, I'm setting up a local area network with a Laptop, can Omada controller acts as a router and be connected to the laptop?

Thanks & Regards.

Options
2023-09-27 05:45:35

Hi @JesChia,

Neither the EAP nor the Controller can do the DHCP Server, the EAP is just an access point and the controller is just a centralization management platform. And the ROOT AP needs to connect to your network wired, it is necessary. You can use them in the local LAN without Internet access, but a router/DHCP Server should be in the network.

Best Regards! >> Omada EAP Firmware Trial Available Here << >> Get the Latest Omada SDN Controller Releases Here << *Try filtering posts on each forum by Label of [Early Access]*
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 312

Replies: 4

Tags

Related Articles