L2TP VPN idle timeout

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

L2TP VPN idle timeout

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
L2TP VPN idle timeout
L2TP VPN idle timeout
2023-09-27 13:58:06
Tags: #VPN
Model: ER7212PC  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

Hello. I was testing the length of time an L2TP VPN session would stay connected on my ER7212PC device. The connection lasted just over 7.5 hours before disconnecting. In Event Viewer the message was "The reason code returned on termination is 828.".  This relates to an idle timeout setting. The VPN connection on my Windows 10 PC is set to stay alive (Idle time before hanging up is set to never).

Just curious if anyone has experienced this and if it's a Windows setting or if there's somewhere in the ER7212PC device which I have yet to find that can control this.

I am going to try my OpenVPN connection today (from another computer) to see how it behaves.

Regards, Dave

Options
2 Reply
Re:L2TP VPN idle timeout
2023-09-28 03:15:01

@daveydoom 

Hi, are you usingL2TP over IPsec or just pure L2TP? And I find out code 828 may not be related to idle, could be the Internet issue, you can check this:

https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/answers/questions/183957/windows-10-always-on-vpn-clients-regularly-drop-vp

@Gary Nebbett  answered on Dec 12, 2020, he encountered code 828 by switching to another wifi which cannot connect to vpn server.

So maybe you can double check is there a Internet unstable happened during your session.

"SY" is a 22-year old boy presenting to the tp-link community with brain empty. Take care of yourself, and be well. Loycechan030
Options
Re:L2TP VPN idle timeout
2023-09-28 15:50:34

@Loycelover- Thank you for the response. It is L2TP/IPsec and I'm thinking it was likely an internet drop. I can't anything else that would cause this.

Options