Recommend a DoH router please?

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2023-10-02 19:57:45 - last edited 2023-10-03 20:28:55
Model: Archer C5400  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

I'm hoping someone can give me a good recommendation for a home router that supports DoH. I am aware of the thread listing supported models here: https://community.tp-link.com/en/home/forum/topic/617138?sortDir=ASC&page=1, although it can be confusing that the model names listed don't necessarily correspond to their retail name but instead refer to the employed chipset? Maybe I've got that wrong, but in any case I could use some help.

I'm interested in replacing my existing Archer C5400 with one that can handle DoH and IoT. My C5400 works reasonably well, although the 5GHz signal does not extend to the farthest reaches of the house, so we have to resort to 2.4GHz for some devices. I would love to get a solid 5GHz signal everywhere if that is an option. I'm guessing I may need a mesh setup for that? Also, I have no particular need for WiFi 6, in case that's relevant.

Thank you in advance for any recommendations you can make. I really appreciate it.

Options
1 Accepted Solution
Re:Recommend a DoH router please?-Solution
2023-10-03 19:39:57 - last edited 2023-10-03 20:28:55

@BrendanH 

An optimal scenario considering the thread you mentioned would be two or more (depending on premises size) Archer C86 in Easymesh with ethernet backhaul between them.

If this was helpful click once on the arrow pointing upward. If this solves your issue, click once the star to mark it as a "Recommended Solution".
Recommended Solution
Options
4 Reply
Re:Recommend a DoH router please?-Solution
2023-10-03 19:39:57 - last edited 2023-10-03 20:28:55

@BrendanH 

An optimal scenario considering the thread you mentioned would be two or more (depending on premises size) Archer C86 in Easymesh with ethernet backhaul between them.

If this was helpful click once on the arrow pointing upward. If this solves your issue, click once the star to mark it as a "Recommended Solution".
Recommended Solution
Options
Re:Recommend a DoH router please?
2023-10-03 20:00:56

@terziyski 

Thanks for that! I think that might work. It is an old home with no ethernet runs, but I have been able to repurpose an outside coax cable run using MoCA adapters. I'm guessing that should suffice as an ethernet connection between the two c86 routers? I'm not at all familiar with Easymesh or using an ethernet backhaul, but I'm assuming that means using a wired ethernet connection between the routers to facilitate the whole home mesh setup?

Again, thanks for your input. For some reason I really get lost when it comes to network gear. Anything else in tech is fine, but my brain rejects network knowhow for some reason :-) 

Options
2023-10-03 20:20:01

@BrendanH 

You can build an Easymesh with wireless backhaul as well, but the ethernet backhaul will give you the best speeds and stability overall.

Click on the hyperlink (blue text) from my previous post to get to know more about Easymesh technology.

Options
2023-10-03 20:28:49

@terziyski 

Thank you! Yep - I've been going through that link and other info. I think I know enough to get started :-)

Cheers!

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 232

Replies: 4

Related Articles