DNS lookups for DHCP LAN clients

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2023-10-04 09:41:02 - last edited 2023-10-07 06:54:35
Tags: #DNS
Model: ER7212PC  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: 1.1.1

I have a home network running with a single 192.168.0.1/24 IPv4 LAN with my ER7212PC at 192.168.0.1

I use the DHCP server of my ER7212PC router/gateway, and have reserved some IP addresses for some devices, and the DNS for the network is configured to "Auto" which sets the ER7212PC (192.168.0.1) as the DNS server for all clients on the network.

I would like to be able to connect to some devices using friendly host names, for example my ER7212PC router as "gateway" or "gateway.local.", or my NAS as "nas1.local."

Is this supposed to be possible? It seems that the DNS on the ER7212PC doesn't serve any local host names and forwards all requests to my ISP via the WAN DNS.

Have I missed a configuration option, or is DNS lookup for local host names just not a feature of my Omada gateway?

Options
2 Accepted Solutions
Re:DNS lookups for DHCP LAN clients -Solution
2023-10-05 11:04:36 - last edited 2023-10-07 06:54:35

@RockPaper 

the router serves mostly like a dns relay.  Most do. Between any vendor.

if you want true dns resolution, you will need to host an interal dns server.  Adgaurd home and or pihole will suite.... google has tons of walk throughs.

I think Adgaurd home is a bit more user friendly myself.

I can not teach anyone anything - I can only make them think - Socrates
Recommended Solution
Options
2023-10-07 01:40:04 - last edited 2023-10-07 06:54:46

Hi @RockPaper 

Thanks for posting in our business forum.

RockPaper wrote

@KimcheeGUN yes, I want what dnsmasq does 

Because pihole is built on top of dnsmasq I chose to use pihole once in the past for DHCP+DNS because it seemed like an easy way to configure dnsmasq, plus it provides nice usage charts. I turned off the DHCP server on my tplink ax6000 home gateway and the pihole server took over DHCP and DNS jobs.

Now I have the Omada kit, and am setting up again.

You said that dnsmasq (DHCP+DNS) is not currently supported. Do you mean not supported built-in to the Omada router/gateway, or not supported running on the same network? 

None of the Omada routers support this. Local DNS server has been considered as a new feature but there is no ETA for its availability. There are existing threads in the Requests & Suggestions section. You may go there and vote for it. But now it seems to be either using the Pi-hole or AdGuard to implement the DNS you need.

The DNSmasq can be used in any network.

Best Regards! If you are new to the forum, please read: Howto - A Guide to Use Forum Effectively. Read Before You Post. Look for a model? Search your model NOW Beta firmware got some NEW features! Subscribe for the latest update!Download Beta Here☚ ☛ ★ Configuration Guide ★ ☚ ☛ ★ Knowledge Base ★ ☚ ☛ ★ Troubleshooting Manual ★ ☚ (Disclaimer: Short links are used above solely for guidance to TP-Link subdomains and are safe and tracker-free. Exercise caution with short links from non-official members on forums. We are not liable for external content or damage from non-official members' link use.)
Recommended Solution
Options
5 Reply
2023-10-05 11:04:36 - last edited 2023-10-07 06:54:35

@RockPaper 

the router serves mostly like a dns relay.  Most do. Between any vendor.

if you want true dns resolution, you will need to host an interal dns server.  Adgaurd home and or pihole will suite.... google has tons of walk throughs.

I think Adgaurd home is a bit more user friendly myself.

Recommended Solution
Options
Re:DNS lookups for DHCP LAN clients
2023-10-06 12:52:05 - last edited 2023-10-06 20:27:28

@KimcheeGUN Huh, OK thanks - I guess I was wrong to assume DNS [resolution for local clients] would be integrated with the DHCP addresses. tp-link, please consider it a feature request :)

Thanks for your recommendations for local DNS - I have got a little Home Assistant box on the network that could host adguard or pihole. Do you use that? Do you also have it offer DHCP? (Or, do you manually add in your important local IP addresses?)

Options
2023-10-06 20:00:08

@RockPaper 

I think you're maybe looking at / wanting is DNSmasq.  Which is not currently supported at this moment.  

Options
2023-10-06 20:56:17

Because pihole is built on top of dnsmasq I chose to use pihole once in the past for DHCP+DNS because it seemed like an easy way to configure dnsmasq, plus it provides nice usage charts. I turned off the DHCP server on my tplink ax6000 home gateway and the pihole server took over DHCP and DNS jobs.

You said that dnsmasq (DHCP+DNS) is not currently supported. Do you mean not supported built-in to the Omada router/gateway, or not supported running on the same network? 

Options
2023-10-07 01:40:04 - last edited 2023-10-07 06:54:46

Hi @RockPaper 

Thanks for posting in our business forum.

RockPaper wrote

None of the Omada routers support this. Local DNS server has been considered as a new feature but there is no ETA for its availability. There are existing threads in the Requests & Suggestions section. You may go there and vote for it. But now it seems to be either using the Pi-hole or AdGuard to implement the DNS you need.

The DNSmasq can be used in any network.

Best Regards! If you are new to the forum, please read: Howto - A Guide to Use Forum Effectively. Read Before You Post. Look for a model? Search your model NOW Beta firmware got some NEW features! Subscribe for the latest update!Download Beta Here☚ ☛ ★ Configuration Guide ★ ☚ ☛ ★ Knowledge Base ★ ☚ ☛ ★ Troubleshooting Manual ★ ☚ (Disclaimer: Short links are used above solely for guidance to TP-Link subdomains and are safe and tracker-free. Exercise caution with short links from non-official members on forums. We are not liable for external content or damage from non-official members' link use.)
Recommended Solution
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 498

Replies: 5

Tags

DNS
Related Articles