Open VPN router connection with PC

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

Open VPN router connection with PC

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
14 Reply
Re:Open VPN router connection with PC
2023-10-12 13:46:47 - last edited 2023-10-12 14:04:39

@Md-Ripon3 

I tried now like u said, with the public Ip, but still no luck!

Options
2023-10-13 06:38:19 - last edited 2023-10-13 06:39:39

Hi @Chris-Cross 

Thanks for posting in our business forum.

Chris-Cross wrote

Hello everyone,

I am trying to crate VPN acces from my ER8411 Router to my PC through open VPN. I am doing this in Omada. I tried to crate a VPN policy with open VPN as Server on the Router site (Client to site). Using UDP with Port 1194. in Local Network I choose "All" (only option). Wan I choose the WAN port of the incoming internet (WAN/LAN4 for me). IP pool I wasn't sure what to type in. I choose 192.168.0.200/ 24.

On the PC site I downloaded Open VPN and imported the VPN file, wich I exported from the Router. When I now what to connect, OpenVPN shows me: T Error: TSL key negotiation failed to occur within 60 seconds

and

TSL handshake failed.

what did I Do wrong?

I should also mention, that the TP-link Router is not the first device. It is getting its internet connection from a FritzBox where I activated port forwarding for the TP-link router.

I'd like to know more details about your config. Can you please illustrate this with several pictures?

1. WAN IP address shown on the router page or Detail page. You can mosaic the last two parts. I am not asking "whatmyip" IP from the Google.

2. Exported file from the OVPN, open it up with the notepad. What's the server IP address do you see? Screenshot or paste it here with the last two parts mosaiced.

3. Would appreciate it if you could draw a diagram of your network. Do you rule out the double-NAT issue?

4. What device did you import the OVPN? Did you try this from a device, not inside this ER8411 LAN? Like a cellphone?

Be sure that you have updated the firmware to the latest one to get the best performance and result from it. Download for ER8411 V1

So far, we have not received any reports that there is a bug in OVPN. I still think this might be an issue with the config.

Best Regards! If you are new to the forum, please read: Howto - A Guide to Use Forum Effectively. Read Before You Post. Look for a model? Search your model NOW Beta firmware got some NEW features! Subscribe for the latest update!Download Beta Here☚ ☛ ★ Configuration Guide ★ ☚ ☛ ★ Knowledge Base ★ ☚ ☛ ★ Troubleshooting Manual ★ ☚ (Disclaimer: Short links are used above solely for guidance to TP-Link subdomains and are safe and tracker-free. Exercise caution with short links from non-official members on forums. We are not liable for external content or damage from non-official members' link use.)
Options
2023-10-13 12:35:58 - last edited 2023-10-13 12:36:59

@Clive_A 

1. Here is a screenshot of the WAN adress shown in the FritzBox (the Router in frond of the ER8411 Router):

I am getting my internet connection from a coaxial cable right now, for wich i need the FritzBox as modem ahead of the ER8411 Router from TP-link.

2. The IP inside the OVPN file is 192.168.178.122. This is the IP under wich the ER8411 is shown inside the FritzBox. But i already tried to change the IP with the one i looked up at whatmyIP. Still no Luck

3. Here is a diagramm:

Also here is a Screenshot i took of the IPs of those devices shown in the Omada controler:

I do not exactly now, what u mean with double NAT issue?

4. I imported the OVPN from the ER8411 Router onto my Laptop, where OpenVPN Software is running on. It manages to esteblish a Connection when i am INSIDE the Network (meaning when i am connected to one of the APs shown in the diagramm). But when my Laptop is connected to an Outside Network (for eexample Hotspot on my smartphone or at a complety diffrent location like WIFI from my neighbor) it does not work anymore.

5. The divices all seem to be up to date.

Thanks very much that u try to help!!!

Options
2023-10-16 03:51:33

Hi @Chris-Cross 

Thanks for posting in our business forum.

Chris-Cross wrote

@Clive_A 

1. Here is a screenshot of the WAN adress shown in the FritzBox (the Router in frond of the ER8411 Router):

I am getting my internet connection from a coaxial cable right now, for wich i need the FritzBox as modem ahead of the ER8411 Router from TP-link.

2. The IP inside the OVPN file is 192.168.178.122. This is the IP under wich the ER8411 is shown inside the FritzBox. But i already tried to change the IP with the one i looked up at whatmyIP. Still no Luck

3. Here is a diagramm:

Also here is a Screenshot i took of the IPs of those devices shown in the Omada controler:

I do not exactly now, what u mean with double NAT issue?

4. I imported the OVPN from the ER8411 Router onto my Laptop, where OpenVPN Software is running on. It manages to esteblish a Connection when i am INSIDE the Network (meaning when i am connected to one of the APs shown in the diagramm). But when my Laptop is connected to an Outside Network (for eexample Hotspot on my smartphone or at a complety diffrent location like WIFI from my neighbor) it does not work anymore.

5. The divices all seem to be up to date.

Thanks very much that u try to help!!!

This time your information is helpful.

About step 2, the problem is that your IP might not be right. Everything is correct but this IP lookup might not be right. If you try multiple sites, you probably see different IP address as your public IP.

I think you should consult with your ISP and check if your dual-stack IPv4 IP is a public one. Dual-stack might offer a private IPv4 with an IPv6 as a public one. Or you can try out the IPv6 as the server IP. I think IPv6 should work with the OVPN, too.

Usually, we recommend you find the IP on the router Detail page and refer to that as your public IP. Now, it seems that you should check the IP on your modem, the exact IPv4 address should be used in the OVPN file as the server.

And your port forwarding entry should stay enabled as well.

Best Regards! If you are new to the forum, please read: Howto - A Guide to Use Forum Effectively. Read Before You Post. Look for a model? Search your model NOW Beta firmware got some NEW features! Subscribe for the latest update!Download Beta Here☚ ☛ ★ Configuration Guide ★ ☚ ☛ ★ Knowledge Base ★ ☚ ☛ ★ Troubleshooting Manual ★ ☚ (Disclaimer: Short links are used above solely for guidance to TP-Link subdomains and are safe and tracker-free. Exercise caution with short links from non-official members on forums. We are not liable for external content or damage from non-official members' link use.)
Options
Related Articles