How can I disable WiFi during selected time periods using the UI and/or using the API ?

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

How can I disable WiFi during selected time periods using the UI and/or using the API ?

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2023-10-14 20:01:40
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version:

Hello,

I have deployed Omada Software Controller on a Linux VM and have multiple EAP660 HD and EAP650-Wall. Until now I was using the time range profiles to "disable" some SSIDs during selected time periods. Unfortunately I realized quite fast that the time range profiles to not "turn off" the wireless network, but just forbids devices to connect to it during selected time frames. This results in useless power usage which I want to avoid. So I need to find a way to turn them off.

First question: is it a way with Omada Software controller UI to really "turn off" a wireless network based on an AP on a time range profile (i.e. same as pressing the "on/off" toggle in the config UI of an AP)? If yes could you please explain how to do it ?

As an alternative, I would like to use the Omada API to turn on/off a wireless network based on a time period (from cron or from a remote server). I found the API document for 5.9.9 but could not find it for my version (5.12.7) on the download page.

Second question: where can I find the API documentation for Omada Software Controller API v.5.12.7 ?

Meantime, I read the API for 5.9.9 and saw that there is a "modify AP" api "/{omadacId}/api/v2/sites/{siteId}/eaps/{apMac}" with PATCH verb. However I'm not sure how to turn on/off the SSID (it's not clear enough, the page display is a bit messy).

Third question: How can I turn on/off a given SSID on a selected AP using the "/{omadacId}/api/v2/sites/{siteId}/eaps/{apMac}" API ?

Fourth (bonus) question: How can I change Tx power of a selected AP using the "/{omadacId}/api/v2/sites/{siteId}/eaps/{apMac}" API ?

Thanks a lot for your help!

Michel

Options
5 Reply
Re:How can I disable WiFi during selected time periods using the UI and/or using the API ?
2023-10-16 07:54:04

@kraal 

1.Are you using the Wifi Schedule function? After selecting radio off, the EAP should no longer transmit signals.

2.It seems like there is no API documentation for 5.12, I suggest you use OpenAPI to achieve your needs.You need change site to Global view and select Setting->Platform Intergration->Open api.You canrefer to online API Document.

Options
Re:How can I disable WiFi during selected time periods using the UI and/or using the API ?
2023-10-16 09:01:36

@dulu 

1. I'm using it but not the "radio off", but the "radio on" instead (with a "week days" / "6:00-20:00" time frame). As a result the outside "radio on" times (i.e. during week end or between 22:01 and 05:59) I cannot "connect" to the wireless network (connection is rejected) but the network is visible (ssid visible, detected by linssid with same power). Am I doing something "wrong" ?

2. I checked the openAPI, but I don't see what I need. I however checked what APIs the UI is calling and should be able to achieve what I want.

Thanks

Options
2023-10-16 09:19:21

@kraal To achieve your requirements, you may need to use "Radio off" and set the time to turn off Wifi.

Options
2023-10-16 11:42:02 - last edited 2023-10-16 11:43:31

Hi,

From my understanding, "radio on" is the inverse of "radio off" (i.e. for instance "on during working hours" is the same than "off during non-working hours". So I don't think it would change anything.

That being said I don't even know how to configure some time ranges with "radio off". For instance the following "radio on" sentence "working hours are Monday through Friday between 6am and 8pm" a sa "radio off" sentence would be "0am to 6am and 8pm to 0am every Monday-Friday + whole day Saturday and Sunday".

The problem is that even with "custom" I cannot set such multiple times-ranges  (I guess that's why "they added "radio on" mode)

Maybe someone from TP-Link could help ?

Options
2023-10-16 12:18:42 - last edited 2023-10-16 21:51:40

Ok so I did a simple test with a new wireless network (ssid "test") and a simple time range from 2:00pm to 2:15pm "every day" and set the "radio on" option. At 1:59pm the ssid was not visible using linssid. At 2:00pm the ssid appeared (82 quality / -56 dB signal) and at 2:16 the network is not visible anymore...

So in other words something must be wrong in my previous configuration... will check again at 8pm.

Edit: I checked at 23:30: the network was not visible then I opened omada controller ui and AP config (just read it didn't save), and the culprit network is visible again (while it should be off until 6 am)... After having digged a bit I see that the network is only visible on a single EAP650-Wall. After having turned off then on the culprit ssid through the UI, after a few minutes the network disappeared again at 23:41...

I really don't understand what is happening

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 404

Replies: 5

Related Articles