Static DNS entry

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

Static DNS entry

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
Static DNS entry
Static DNS entry
2023-10-19 02:49:42 - last edited 2023-11-10 06:20:35
Model: TL-R480T+  
Hardware Version: V9
Firmware Version: 9.0.3

New router to us. We are replacing a Peplink Balance 30, which allows for a local static DNS entry (not DDNS). This is mission critical for us. Not seeing a way to add a similar entry in the TP link. Before retuning the router I wanted to check with the community to see if I'm missing something.

Thank you!

Options
7 Reply
Re:Static DNS entry
2023-10-19 05:36:35 - last edited 2023-11-10 06:20:25

@Coastal_Cruiser 

it does not support creating local DNS entries. none of them, omada or old router, support.

ScReW yOu gUyS. I aM GOinG hoMe. —————————————————————— For heaven's sake, can you write and describe your issue based on plain fact, common logic and a methodologic approach? Appreciate it.
Options
2023-10-19 05:40:45 - last edited 2023-11-10 06:20:25

@Coastal_Cruiser 

Do you mean TL-R480+? Not seeing any product named TL-R480. I haven't heard about TP-Link router supporting this feature. If you are still unsure just go ask official support. Emails or live chat. But likely this feature is unsupported.

"SY" is a 22-year old boy presenting to the tp-link community with brain empty. Take care of yourself, and be well. Loycechan030
Options
2023-10-19 06:03:28 - last edited 2023-11-10 06:20:25

@Coastal_Cruiser Yes. I dropped the "+" when I pasted in the model number.

In any case, I found a workaround which will let us continue testing this unit. I was able to add a static DNS entry to a software based DHCP service we have running on a Windows machine. Had to repoint the DNS entry in the DHCP config and a couple of other tweaks to our network, but all is well.

Rather than create a separate thread I'm going to venture another question here. The manual for the TL-480T+ is about as helpful as most hardware manuals I've read; a simple explanation of the config option that replicates what you could have already learned from going through the interface option. But no real explanation of hwo things work. For example, I was looking at load balancing and failover options. Since there is a dedicated section for configuring a link as a backup, it leads me to wonder if basic failover is built in. In other words, by default, if a WAN link fails does the OS automatically inhibit traffic through the link and instead route traffic through the WAN links that are up.

And if failover is automatic, why the option to configure a back up? Perhaps for those wanting a specific link used as backup?

Options
2023-10-19 06:24:33 - last edited 2023-11-10 06:20:25

@Coastal_Cruiser 

Sure, the link backup will only run as the user configures, they may set a queue or preference or something like that on this part, not just to find another avail link and go.

"SY" is a 22-year old boy presenting to the tp-link community with brain empty. Take care of yourself, and be well. Loycechan030
Options
2023-10-19 14:39:17 - last edited 2023-11-10 06:20:25

@Loycelover- So if you don't configure a back up, any WAN port that goes down will auto failover. Which makes sense.

When I tried to configure a backup I ran into this:

We have two "fast" WAN links (WAN 1 and 2), and one "slow" WAN link (WAN 3). When I saw the back up feature I thought of configuring the slow link to back up the two fast links. Soon learned that you cannot configure WAN 3 as a back up to WAN1, and then configure WAN3 as a back up to WAN2 as well. It throws an error. Oh well. 

I really don't want the slow link in play unless both fast links go down. So it almost looks like the best config for us is to stick with mostly defaults, which seems to be Load Balancing enabled, Application Optimized Routing enabled, and simply have WAN 3 manually disabled, and enable it if needed. ??

Options
2023-10-19 19:59:46 - last edited 2023-11-10 06:20:25

I might add this as well. The onscreen instructions on the load balance page refer to setting the "bandwidth ratio", presumably on the main WAN page. There is no such setting in there, and the manual makes no reference to the term.

Leaving me wondering exactly how you do allocate a % of traffic over one WAN link compared to another.

Options
2023-10-20 02:53:08 - last edited 2023-11-10 06:20:25

@Coastal_Cruiser 

Just go to WAN--WAN1 or  WAN2 and you can input the bandwidth of your WAN, then if you enable load balancing, it will allocate the traffic to different WAN base on the bandwidth you have input.   Also, you can set WAN1 and 2 as primary and WAN3 as secondary. Don't clearly understand what you mean but you can attach some screenshots.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 526

Replies: 7

Related Articles