Absolutley frustrated with TPlink Omada updates and factory reset following

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2023-10-20 18:09:16 - last edited 2023-10-20 18:11:51
Model: ER605 (TL-R605)  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: 1.3.0 Build 20230511 Rel.51317

Updated my router today and woudn't you know it failed to adopt and I have to factory reset and re-adopt / reconfigure it AGAIN.
This happens every single time I upgrade the router or switch. Support seems to jump right to factory reset like it is no big deal.

Anyone else have this issue? This frequently? Do the other Omada routers do this? V2 any better?

Thinking about going back to Mikrotik... it is more complicated to manage, but VERY reliable after updates.

Options
4 Reply
Re:Absolutley frustrated with TPlink Omada updates and factory reset following
2023-10-23 06:50:02

Hello @BobBrown2283,

Thanks for reporting this issue to our Business Community!

Did you notice the specific error message when the ER605 failed to be adopted by the controller? You can refer to this FAQ for some examples of error messages.

What is the firmware version of your controller?

Did the ER605 still communicate with the controller after the firmware upgrades? Have you tried a ping test to check the connectivity at that moment?

If the error message showed"the username or password is incorrect", have you tried the Device account you set on the controller?

Best Regards! >> Omada EAP Firmware Trial Available Here << >> Get the Latest Omada SDN Controller Releases Here << *Try filtering posts on each forum by Label of [Early Access]*
Options
2023-10-23 14:21:45

@BobBrown2283 

Sounds like you're borking something... Are you using V1 firmware against the V1 router?  AND confirming you're not using V2 firmware against a V1?

I've done that before and it borked.  

Are you unzipping the file?  

You have to give us more details on what you are doing for us to help.  

I can not teach anyone anything - I can only make them think - Socrates
Options
2023-10-24 01:07:21

@KimcheeGUN - no hardware should blindly accept an arbitrary firmware file (esp. in a user-facing GUI!) - .zip or wrong model shouldn't even be allowed to attempt, there should absolutely be some sanity checking built-in. (I do of course appreciate the option to allow a custom file to be force-applied, with sufficient safeguards/warnings in place).

The OP stated they are able to upgrade, but that a reset is required first, and that seems to be supports' go-to step. Plus, the fact they are coming from Mikrotik tells me they're unlikely to be making a rookie mistake.

Options
2023-10-24 02:01:14

Hi @YATechMonkey 

YATechMonkey wrote

@KimcheeGUN - no hardware should blindly accept an arbitrary firmware file (esp. in a user-facing GUI!) - .zip or wrong model shouldn't even be allowed to attempt, there should absolutely be some sanity checking built-in. (I do of course appreciate the option to allow a custom file to be force-applied, with sufficient safeguards/warnings in place).

The OP stated they are able to upgrade, but that a reset is required first, and that seems to be supports' go-to step. Plus, the fact they are coming from Mikrotik tells me they're unlikely to be making a rookie mistake.

Don't think you understand the mechanism behind this. So, we do the file verification when you click "Upload" the firmware. And if you choose the wrong format, we will also notify you with a pop-up banner.

Best Regards! If you are new to the forum, please read: Howto - A Guide to Use Forum Effectively. Read Before You Post. Look for a model? Search your model NOW Beta firmware got some NEW features! Subscribe for the latest update!Download Beta Here☚ ☛ ★ Configuration Guide ★ ☚ ☛ ★ Knowledge Base ★ ☚ ☛ ★ Troubleshooting Manual ★ ☚ (Disclaimer: Short links are used above solely for guidance to TP-Link subdomains and are safe and tracker-free. Exercise caution with short links from non-official members on forums. We are not liable for external content or damage from non-official members' link use.)
Options

Information

Helpful: 2

Views: 429

Replies: 4

Related Articles