TL SG-2428 V2 with deco and sg105

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2023-10-25 15:57:12 - last edited 2023-10-30 07:23:08
Tags: #Configuration #Port speed
Model: TL-SG2428P  
Hardware Version: V2
Firmware Version: 20210607

Just recently installed a home network and now that it's commissioned I am only getting 1000 speeds on 1 port of the switch.

My set up is:

EE router hard wired to deco M9 plus(main)

Cat 7 to the sg2428p. This connected port shows 1000.

I have multiple other deco M9 plus and Deco M5 connected to the switch all showing 100.

Tlsg105 for home office connected showing 100 at the sg2428p also. Need this one to be 1000 given the traffic from the office.

All cat 7 cable runs are from same batch and tested good. No long runs over 15m.

Deco is in router mode.  There are 2 decos still fully WiFi as I haven't ran cabling yet.

Any suggestions or changes to the set up to improve the speeds would be appreciated.

Home Caption

Options
2 Accepted Solutions
Re:TL SG-2428 V2 with deco and sg105-Solution
2023-10-26 02:32:54 - last edited 2023-10-30 07:23:32

Hi @Br14nxg 

Thanks for posting in our business forum.

TBH, there are no other options for this. Try some other shorter cables or pre-made cables.

If there is a bad soldering, leading to a bad connection, this might happen.

Don't get any other suggestions for this.

Best Regards! If you are new to the forum, please read: Howto - A Guide to Use Forum Effectively. Read Before You Post. Look for a model? Search your model NOW Official and Beta firmware. NEW features! Subscribe for the latest update!Download Beta Here☚ ☛ ★ Configuration Guide ★ ☚ ☛ ★ Knowledge Base ★ ☚ ☛ ★ Troubleshooting Manual ★ ☚ ● Be kind and nice. ● Stay on the topic. ● Post details. ● Search first. Don't be a lazy asker. ● Please don't take it for granted. ● No email confidentiality should be violated. ● S/N, MAC, and your true public IP should be mosaiced.
Recommended Solution
Options
2023-10-27 11:20:08 - last edited 2023-10-30 07:23:08

@Clive_A I've messed about with devices per your suggestion.  I was using a deco m5 which should support Gbit. The issue with them seems to be that I had added a poe splitter so I didn't have to run power to them but looks like this isn't Gbit. Direct connect and separate power now showing Gbit on the switch.  Might need to upgrade some of the decos to Poe compatible versions.

The office switch I put into a different port and is also now showing Gbit even though both ports test fine. Glad I don't have to pull the office cable as it's an 8m run.  Problem solved, thanks for your help.yes

Recommended Solution
Options
5 Reply
2023-10-26 02:32:54 - last edited 2023-10-30 07:23:32

Hi @Br14nxg 

TBH, there are no other options for this. Try some other shorter cables or pre-made cables.

If there is a bad soldering, leading to a bad connection, this might happen.

Don't get any other suggestions for this.

Best Regards! If you are new to the forum, please read: Howto - A Guide to Use Forum Effectively. Read Before You Post. Look for a model? Search your model NOW Official and Beta firmware. NEW features! Subscribe for the latest update!Download Beta Here☚ ☛ ★ Configuration Guide ★ ☚ ☛ ★ Knowledge Base ★ ☚ ☛ ★ Troubleshooting Manual ★ ☚ ● Be kind and nice. ● Stay on the topic. ● Post details. ● Search first. Don't be a lazy asker. ● Please don't take it for granted. ● No email confidentiality should be violated. ● S/N, MAC, and your true public IP should be mosaiced.
Recommended Solution
Options
Re:TL SG-2428 V2 with deco and sg105
2023-10-26 12:00:59

@Clive_A  thanks Clive, it does look to be a cabling or termination issue.  I ran cable diagnostics on the switch and the 100 ports are only showing 2 pairs, the 1000 port is showing all 4. All cable lengths are reporting true. I've tested some cables again separately and it's reporting all cores on my simple tester. Going to use a proper diagnostics tester this afternoon when I get it later and perhaps try re terminating one of the runs to see if it makes a difference... sad

Options
2023-10-26 21:50:34

Further follow up.  I disconnected one of the short cable runs and connected both ends to the switch and both ports show green 1000. But when one end connected to a device shows 100.  Surely if shows green both sides attached to switch the cable is ok?  Diagnostics on all runs show correct and clean, no breaks, shorts or anything else. Mapped correctly using 568b.

I've ruled out the patch panel as well by connecting direct to switch.  Still shows 100 and only 2 pairs in cable diagnostics on the switch but all fine diagnostics without the switch.  I'm stumped. 😕

Am I missing something config wise?  Will upgrading firmware make a difference?

Options
2023-10-27 01:13:46

Hi @Br14nxg 

Does your other device support 1000 speed?

Just think of it in another way, run this cable on both ends connected to the switch and check if it is green (1000), if yes, then the switch functions fine. If no, the cable is bad.

When you run this same cable to another device, it is not green. Then you should check if it supports gigabit Ethernet or not.

This is the most basic feature of a switch. The chance to have a bad controller of the Ethernet(switching) port is rare. You can upgrade or modify any port parameters but it's not gonna guarantee you there is problem free.

I think you should try other devices that are gigabit-capable. And see if all of them work well on the switch or not.

Options
2023-10-27 11:20:08 - last edited 2023-10-30 07:23:08

@Clive_A I've messed about with devices per your suggestion.  I was using a deco m5 which should support Gbit. The issue with them seems to be that I had added a poe splitter so I didn't have to run power to them but looks like this isn't Gbit. Direct connect and separate power now showing Gbit on the switch.  Might need to upgrade some of the decos to Poe compatible versions.

The office switch I put into a different port and is also now showing Gbit even though both ports test fine. Glad I don't have to pull the office cable as it's an 8m run.  Problem solved, thanks for your help.yes

Recommended Solution
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 395

Replies: 5

Tags

Configuration
Port speed
Related Articles