VoWifi / WLAN Calling not working most of the time.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2023-10-26 11:08:12 - last edited 2023-10-27 01:08:53
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version: latest

Hello everyone,

I am facing serious problems using VoWiFi (Voice over WiFi) / WLAN Calling with my setup. The service provider is vodafone (Germany).

1) Connecting to the Service

After entering the network, my phone connects to the service which either takes about 15 to 30 seconds or fails completely.

On other networks the connection is asteblished within a couple of seconds after connecting to the WiFi.

2) Reliability

The phone shows the VoWifi icon in the status bar most of the time. Sometimes it just disappears and the only way to reconnect the service is to reconnect to the WiFi or even reboot the phone.

On other networks the VoWifi service will stay connected or reconnect automatically when the connection is lost.

3) Receiving Calls

When someone calls me while the VoWifi service is "active", my phone won't even ring most of the time. If it does, I cannot hear the caller or he/she cannot hear me.

On other networks my phone rings as usual and I can talk to the caller perfectly.

4) Calling someone

When I try to call someone while the VoWifi service is "active", one of two situations may be the result:

- The phone tries to connect the call for several seconds and then decides to use the normal cell network instead of VoWifi. If there is no cell service available, the call is canceled. Sometimes the phone becomes disconnected from the VoWifi service, if this happens (the icon disappears).

- The phone is able to establish a connection over VoWiFi but the called person cannot hear me or I cannot hear him/her.

On other networks, calling someone works just fine.

How is this possible? I there a way to make sure VoWifi traffic is handled as intended?

Thanks in advance!

Best,

GaRv3

Options
6 Reply
Re:VoWifi / WLAN Calling not working most of the time.
2023-10-27 02:30:26

Hi @GaRv3 

Thanks for posting in our business forum.

1 3 and 4: Have you followed the guide from the manufacturer of your phone system? Is there anything you can share with us?

2: Is your WIFI signal good enough? Have you checked the signal strength on the phone or from the Omada EAP?

Best Regards! If you are new to the forum, please read: Howto - A Guide to Use Forum Effectively. Read Before You Post. Look for a model? Search your model NOW Official and Beta firmware. NEW features! Subscribe for the latest update!Download Beta Here☚ ☛ ★ Configuration Guide ★ ☚ ☛ ★ Knowledge Base ★ ☚ ☛ ★ Troubleshooting Manual ★ ☚ (Disclaimer: Short links are used above solely for guidance to TP-Link subdomains and are safe and tracker-free. Exercise caution with short links from non-official members on forums. We are not liable for external content or damage from non-official members' link use.)
Options
2023-10-27 08:13:17

Hi @Clive_Hi 

Thanks for your answer.

1, 3 and 4: Hehe, you must be joking. I know how VoWiFi works on my phone and it works on any other network. It's just this omada network where it won't work.

2: Sure. I am next to one of my 660 HDs. Signal strength is about -63 dBm.

Options
2023-10-27 08:21:41

Hi @GaRv3

GaRv3 wrote

Hi @Clive_Hi 

Thanks for your answer.

1, 3 and 4: Hehe, you must be joking. I know how VoWiFi works on my phone and it works on any other network. It's just this omada network where it won't work.

2: Sure. I am next to one of my 660 HDs. Signal strength is about -63 dBm.

NVM if you don't want to provide that. If you can make sure everything is fine, then it should work. I cannot determine which is not working. Sorry that my hands are tied.

Basically, we need to make sure your config is right. Possibly requiring to use of Wireshark and analyzing why the voice call stopped.

If you Wireshark and find out that it is like this when a call is initiated, then it means the 172.17.19.9 is not responding. Traffic flows in and to the 172.17.19.9, but it does not respond.

Good luck.

Best Regards! If you are new to the forum, please read: Howto - A Guide to Use Forum Effectively. Read Before You Post. Look for a model? Search your model NOW Official and Beta firmware. NEW features! Subscribe for the latest update!Download Beta Here☚ ☛ ★ Configuration Guide ★ ☚ ☛ ★ Knowledge Base ★ ☚ ☛ ★ Troubleshooting Manual ★ ☚ (Disclaimer: Short links are used above solely for guidance to TP-Link subdomains and are safe and tracker-free. Exercise caution with short links from non-official members on forums. We are not liable for external content or damage from non-official members' link use.)
Options
2023-10-27 10:19:50 - last edited 2023-10-27 10:26:42

OMG, you are talking about VoIP (Voice over IP) using SIP. This has nothing to do with VoWiFi / WiFi Calling / WLAN Calling. These are two compeletely different topics. VoWiFi does NOT use plain SIP but IPSec!

Options
2023-10-27 11:22:46

@Clive_A 

To make it clear: There is no phone system I could tell you anything about. VoWiFi is a feature used by a mobile phone / cell phone / smartphone.

Options
2023-10-30 07:37:29

Hi @GaRv3 

Thanks for posting in our business forum.

My bad. I think I did not read it carefully before making the conclusion. This is WIFI calling, right?

It could be the ISP limits it. You can try to use the ISP router and connect ER605 after it.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 358

Replies: 6

Related Articles