Deco X20 low wifi speed

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

Deco X20 low wifi speed

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
Deco X20 low wifi speed
Deco X20 low wifi speed
2023-10-26 20:40:25
Model: Deco X20  
Hardware Version: V2
Firmware Version: 1.2.3 Build 20230906 Rel. 41655

Hello everyone! 

I bought recently a kit of 3 X20 Mesh routers. I have at home a 1gb internet connection (the router of the ISP is Wifi 6 too) and I was hoping to have some similar speed via Wifi using the decos. To my surprise, the main deco is connected via cable utp cat 6 (1000 Mb) and I'm using my laptop 2 metres from it (no obstacles, in the same room). I can, on a good try get 480 - 500 mb of download speed from my laptop connected with 5Ghz. 
If I connected a cable from the main X20 in the same room I receve the desired speed (900- 1 gb). Is this expected? What can I do to get some more speed from the WIFI? I read the technical specifications from the deco X20 and in theory wifi bandwith should be enough. Im quite dessapointed .

Thank you,
Martin. 

Options
6 Reply
Re:Deco X20 low wifi speed
2023-10-26 21:15:53 - last edited 2023-10-26 21:37:23

@MartinBG 

500Mbps sounds too low for WiFi6. I am getting such speeds on WiFi5.

Try this, in that exact order:

1. Switch Deco mesh to Access Point mode: Switching a Deco to Access Point (AP) Mode

2. Disable 2.4GHz on Deco Main Network:

3. Power off all Satellite Decos, leave just Main Deco running;

4. Check link speed for laptop connected to Main Deco: How to check the associated/link speed on a wireless client

5. If link speed exceeds gigabit, run speed tests again. You won't be getting speeds faster than the link speed, so if it is way less than gigabit something is going on there that may need additional investigation.

Options
2023-10-26 21:42:08

Hi  @Alexandre. 

Thank you for your reply. 

i did the tests you mentioned and is quite confusing now, I don't really know what could be going on. Between 340 -500 mbs is the top speed I can get.

I already checked eveything in the app. I'm connected to the main router that is literally on my back, I'm lost.
Can you think of something that could be wrong?

Thank you.

Options
2023-10-27 00:26:18

@MartinBG 

1.2Gbps link speed is what should be for X20 on WiFi6. Running Deco mesh in Access Point mode removes all possibilities of traffic throttling by Deco settings. Powering off Satellite Decos makes sure laptop is connected to Main Deco. Disabling 2.4GHz ensures laptop is not accidentally connects on slower WiFi protocol.

If everything were right, you should expect to see speeds about 70% to 80% of link speed. Meaning, you should see at least 800Mbps, but you don't.

I noticed on your screenshot that upload speed is 670Mbps. While not 800+ Mbps, still better than 300-500. Also, that means speed you are getting is asymmetrical.

1. So, do you by any chance have VPN enabled on laptop? This could explain asymmetrical speeds with upload faster than download. If you do, you should disable VPN when doing speed tests.

2. Install OOkla speedtest app on laptop and try with that app. It provides more reliable speed test results. 

3. Do you have something else to run speed tests on, such as smartphone which supports WiFi 6? If you do, install OOkla speedtest app on it and run speed tests there. It'll answer the question, if X20 can't deliver good speeds at all in your place or if it is just laptop that has issues with X20s.

Also, one more thing: see in WiFi network driver properties if it will allow to change 160MHz channel width to 80MHz. If it does, try that. 

Options
2023-10-27 07:30:33

Hi @Alexandre. Thank you for your time.

I'm not using any VPN or proxy.

This is my personal laptop after a restart connected to the main router.

And this my work laptop also connected to the main router.

If I test on my phone (Iphone 11 connected with 5 Ghz) I can reach around 400 MB.

Should I try changing the other decos as main in case one of them is failing ?

Options
2023-10-27 14:25:44 - last edited 2023-10-27 14:27:32

@MartinBG 

You could try making other X20 Main Deco, but I am out of ideas. Everything seem to be setup properly, yet speeds are not what one would expect from WiFi6 WiFi mesh. Deco X20 is budget model of TP-Link Deco WiFi6 series, but still I expected it to do better than an average WiFi5 Deco.

I think you will end returning X20s. If you want to give TP-Link another chance, I would suggest more capable (and expensive) set of Deco X55. This model is mid-range in Deco X-series by price and performance. It also gets more love from TP-Link software development comparing to X20: Deco X55 gets more frequent firmware updates with new features.

If not Deco, you should try different brand of WiFi mesh. Your ISP router shows that there is no substantial WiFi interference, if you are able to get decent speeds out of it on WiFi6. 

Options
2023-10-27 18:40:11

Hi  @Alexandre. 

appreciate all the suggestions and help here. 
I will ended return x20s and most likely go for x50 or x55 and give it a try. 
I don't want to break the bank account at the moment 😅

take care

martin

Options

Information

Helpful: 1

Views: 1194

Replies: 6

Related Articles