Deco P9 defaults to wi-fi connection instead of powerline

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2023-10-29 22:50:51 - last edited 2023-10-30 03:27:15
Tags: #Powerline
Model: Deco P9  
Hardware Version: V2
Firmware Version: 1.1.3 build 20201228 rel 55057

My three new deco P9 powerline units connect to the faintest of wifi signal from my M9 plus. I bought the powerline P9s to remove the poor wifi. Is there a way I can tell the P9s not to look at wifi

Options
1 Accepted Solution
Re:Deco P9 defaults to wi-fi connection instead of powerline-Solution
2023-10-30 00:43:01 - last edited 2023-10-30 03:27:15

@AndrewF 

Start with this FAQ document from TP-Link: General Questions about the Powerline or PLC Backhaul Feature of Deco

Recommended Solution
Options
3 Reply
Re:Deco P9 defaults to wi-fi connection instead of powerline-Solution
2023-10-30 00:43:01 - last edited 2023-10-30 03:27:15

@AndrewF 

Start with this FAQ document from TP-Link: General Questions about the Powerline or PLC Backhaul Feature of Deco

Recommended Solution
Options
Re:Deco P9 defaults to wi-fi connection instead of powerline
2023-10-30 18:44:42
Thanks, I had already followed the advice in this doc before posting. I think i might have to send them back and drill hole for a cable sadly
Options
Re:Deco P9 defaults to wi-fi connection instead of powerline
2023-10-30 20:18:49 - last edited 2023-10-30 20:29:13

@AndrewF 

AndrewF wrote

Thanks, I had already followed the advice in this doc before posting. I think i might have to send them back and drill hole for a cable sadly

If you have read that document you should have seen "Powerline Backhaul doesn't need to be turned on by any hardware or software switch, and it takes effect automatically" in it.

Powerline link takes priority over WiFi, which means: if P9s could connect over powerline they would.

Powerline technology is very sensitive to electrical wiring and what else is plugged. I was in the same situation: tried powerline adapters and they wouldn't work reliably at my house. Ended drilling holes in the walls and ceilings to bring Ethernet cable where I needed it to be. Spent time doing that, but have no regrets.

Just make sure you tested Ethernet cable before you pull it through the walls, especially if it is the long one.

By the way, you could still use P9s with Ethernet cables, Ethernet link takes priority over powerline.

Before you sent P9s back (if you decided to), TP-Link also recommends make P9 Main Deco. Chances are slim it'll change anything, but why not to try that? Changing the Main Unit for your Mesh Network

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 290

Replies: 3

Tags

Powerline
Related Articles