Possible to setup router remotely?

2023-10-29 23:28:34 - last edited 2023-11-03 06:11:10

Interested in setting up a router remotely. For example setting up all the settings for an er707-m2 offsite.

Have two er707-m2.

I setup a router locally with the correct wan wired static settings and IP.

could I technically restore a backup remotely and it would bring the router back online instead of defaulting to the 192.168.0.1 default lan IP and erasing all the settings.

I'm guessing it's possible, but if it doesn't work then I'd have to go onsite.

Just wondering if anybody has successfully pulled this off.

I have two router two sites which I have managed locally without omada sdn controller.

One I mistakenly adopted to a controller which defaulted everything. I had to go on site and reset the router and thankfully restore from a backup configuration file.

I am trying to avoid getting locked out remotely again.

Options
2 Accepted Solutions
Re:Possible to setup router remotely?-Solution
2023-10-30 02:58:17 - last edited 2023-11-03 06:11:18

Hi @FlameOtter 

Thanks for posting in our business forum.

Then buy the annual subscription Omada Cloud-based Controller. You got the feature of zero-touching provisioning. So you don't have to go to the site and manage it. Everything's on cloud.

Best Regards! If you are new to the forum, please read: Howto - A Guide to Use Forum Effectively. Read Before You Post. Look for a model? Search your model NOW Beta firmware got some NEW features! Subscribe for the latest update!Download Beta Here☚ ☛ ★ Configuration Guide ★ ☚ ☛ ★ Knowledge Base ★ ☚ ☛ ★ Troubleshooting Manual ★ ☚ (Disclaimer: Short links are used above solely for guidance to TP-Link subdomains and are safe and tracker-free. Exercise caution with short links from non-official members on forums. We are not liable for external content or damage from non-official members' link use.)
Recommended Solution
Options
2023-11-01 00:54:46 - last edited 2023-11-03 06:11:10

Hi @FlameOtter 

FlameOtter wrote

@Clive_A 

Wow thank you for providing this information.

The CBC method, is that the one which requires a cloud license to use?

I saw there was a trial or beta offer of some sorts to MSPs to use the service for a limited time.

The unit needs to be preconfigured before giving to a client is my understanding and uses the serial number to add or the inform address.

Does this allow the client's device to retain its configured settings already? or does it require a setup from default again?

Thank you so much.

I have a ER605 and a Er707-M2 already configured locally and running, but I'm seriously considering using the Omada SDN method.

At first I was going to replicate the Er707-M2 since both sites are similar, but couldn't restore an er707-m2 backup to er605.

I'd prefer to retain the settings, however I'm setting up an er707-m2 locally now on a controller and will try to backup and restore at the remote site eventually to limit downtime when we transition to a controller there also.

Thank you very much for providing this information.

If we use the CBC method, I'm guessing we lose control and management of the network devices if the internet connection is lost or changed. Correct?

What is the recommendation on how to recover from such an event?

Thanks.

Adopt will reset first and remove the config. Controller settings will replace the existing ones on the devices (in standalone). There is no way to retain the settings.

That's correct. If you lose Internet, the devices will disconnect from the CBC. The Software Controller or hardware controller is locally based which means you can access it from the local. Or you can bind it to the cloud and access it from the cloud. But if you lose Internet, you still lose the cloud access anyway.

Losing connection to the controller does not affect the network. Config on the devices will still work effectively. Just lose control to modify anything new. When devices are back online, and connected, the controller will distribute the modified config and sync with the managed devices.

If you have more questions about the Omada Controller or CBC, please call or email the support team. Or post it in the Omada SDN Controller.

Best Regards! If you are new to the forum, please read: Howto - A Guide to Use Forum Effectively. Read Before You Post. Look for a model? Search your model NOW Beta firmware got some NEW features! Subscribe for the latest update!Download Beta Here☚ ☛ ★ Configuration Guide ★ ☚ ☛ ★ Knowledge Base ★ ☚ ☛ ★ Troubleshooting Manual ★ ☚ (Disclaimer: Short links are used above solely for guidance to TP-Link subdomains and are safe and tracker-free. Exercise caution with short links from non-official members on forums. We are not liable for external content or damage from non-official members' link use.)
Recommended Solution
Options
12 Reply
2023-10-30 02:58:17 - last edited 2023-11-03 06:11:18

Hi @FlameOtter 

Then buy the annual subscription Omada Cloud-based Controller. You got the feature of zero-touching provisioning. So you don't have to go to the site and manage it. Everything's on cloud.

Recommended Solution
Options
Re:Possible to setup router remotely?
2023-10-30 23:06:46

@Clive_A 

Thank you Clive.

I was wondering if there was instructions somewhere.

Either way, I read about cloud hosting the controller which I just tested with a remote VPS.

Then I made a backup of the site and controller, restored it on the cloud hosted controller and migrated it over. Once I imported the backup and pointed the device to the cloud IP it showed up to be adopted.

I adopted it, got provisioned and now it shows connected.

I'm assuming something similar with Zero Touch.

However with an onsite, once the gateway gets adopted it will change the IP address. I'm guessing I should make the Omada SDN controller to DHCP or the OC200 will pickup the IP address change to reconnect once the gateway gets adopted. I'll have to find the new IP of the OC200 or Omada SDN Controller to configure it.

Witch the cloud hosted one. I think the best bet is log into the router, get connected to the internet, set the inform IP to the Cloud Hosted Omada SDN IP. Adopt and then I'll configure it from there.

Thank you for your help.

Options
2023-10-30 23:09:18

@Clive_A 

Without the need to send out an engineer,

what would you recommend a client do?

I guess I could setup the inform IP and the Internet WAN details before hand and then plug in. Even then some clients are not comfortable connecting things.

They probably wouldn't be able to log into the router and get connected to the internet on their own.

If they could do all that, then it would probably make the setup a lot easier.

I'm trying to do the setup remotely, then restore a backup and migrate on site to limit the time having to be on site if that makes any sense. Also limiting the possibility of resetting the configured IP address back to default.

Options
2023-10-30 23:25:03

@FlameOtter 

one method may be to adopt to the cloud first. Setup and then import into a local omada sdn or oc200 when available to be on site.

I made the mistake or remotely setting up a local omada controller but then get locked out when it adopted and changed all settings to default.

Options
2023-10-30 23:37:03

What happens if we lose the internet connection. 
We lose the ability to configure the network?

unless we have a backup and restore to a local controller or wait for the online connection to resume.

The last time we had an issue was because they upgraded their internet speed which prompted a new gateway.

Somehow the old router wouldn't work with the new gateway so we had to switch.

the static IP was the same, but if any of the settings changes such as the dns, gateway or ip then we'd would have to configure from scratch or restore on site to gain access to the network. I'm trying to think through all the scenarios.

Options
2023-10-31 03:50:53 - last edited 2023-10-31 03:52:10

Hi @FlameOtter 

FlameOtter wrote

@Clive_A 

Thank you Clive.

I was wondering if there was instructions somewhere.

Either way, I read about cloud hosting the controller which I just tested with a remote VPS.

Then I made a backup of the site and controller, restored it on the cloud hosted controller and migrated it over. Once I imported the backup and pointed the device to the cloud IP it showed up to be adopted.

I adopted it, got provisioned and now it shows connected.

I'm assuming something similar with Zero Touch.

However with an onsite, once the gateway gets adopted it will change the IP address. I'm guessing I should make the Omada SDN controller to DHCP or the OC200 will pickup the IP address change to reconnect once the gateway gets adopted. I'll have to find the new IP of the OC200 or Omada SDN Controller to configure it.

Witch the cloud hosted one. I think the best bet is log into the router, get connected to the internet, set the inform IP to the Cloud Hosted Omada SDN IP. Adopt and then I'll configure it from there.

Thank you for your help.

It's different from the CBC we offer. You can use that if you believe it can suit your network environment.

CBC is using the S/N to add the device. Client just places the device in production and waits for the manager to adopt it. Then the manager controls it.

Think you would find this helpful. Several links are provided for you to learn about the basic features of the CBC.

https://www.tp-link.com/en/search/?q=Omada+Cloud-Based+Controller&t=FAQ&p=1&sort=

Options
2023-10-31 13:49:04

@Clive_A 

I saw there was a trial or beta offer of some sorts to MSPs to use the service for a limited time.

The unit needs to be preconfigured before giving to a client is my understanding and uses the serial number to add or the inform address.

Does this allow the client's device to retain its configured settings already? or does it require a setup from default again?

Thank you so much.

I have a ER605 and a Er707-M2 already configured locally and running, but I'm seriously considering using the Omada SDN method.

At first I was going to replicate the Er707-M2 since both sites are similar, but couldn't restore an er707-m2 backup to er605.

I'd prefer to retain the settings, however I'm setting up an er707-m2 locally now on a controller and will try to backup and restore at the remote site eventually to limit downtime when we transition to a controller there also.

If we use the CBC method, I'm guessing we lose control and management of the network devices if the internet connection is lost or changed. Correct?

Thanks.

Options
2023-11-01 00:54:46 - last edited 2023-11-03 06:11:10

Hi @FlameOtter 

FlameOtter wrote

@Clive_A 

Thank you so much.

Thanks.

Adopt will reset first and remove the config. Controller settings will replace the existing ones on the devices (in standalone). There is no way to retain the settings.

That's correct. If you lose Internet, the devices will disconnect from the CBC. The Software Controller or hardware controller is locally based which means you can access it from the local. Or you can bind it to the cloud and access it from the cloud. But if you lose Internet, you still lose the cloud access anyway.

Losing connection to the controller does not affect the network. Config on the devices will still work effectively. Just lose control to modify anything new. When devices are back online, and connected, the controller will distribute the modified config and sync with the managed devices.

If you have more questions about the Omada Controller or CBC, please call or email the support team. Or post it in the Omada SDN Controller.

Recommended Solution
Options
2023-11-03 21:49:53

@Clive_A 

How much are the license and are they available now?

I saw there was a trial right now or is it live and in production?

Thanks

When using the CBC method, does it set all setting to default like the software and hardware controllers?

Thanks.

Options
2023-11-06 01:41:33

Hi @FlameOtter 

FlameOtter wrote

@Clive_A 

How much are the license and are they available now?

I saw there was a trial right now or is it live and in production?

Thanks

When using the CBC method, does it set all setting to default like the software and hardware controllers?

Thanks.

Yep. The CBC licenses are available in North America. Price can be found in Omada Cloud Service Licensing

Click Purchase License.

By default, if you apply for the trial, it starts to count at the moment you start your trial. On the web page where you ask for a trial, you should see it.

If you have purchased the licenses, you may refer to this guide for further help on the assignment. Omada License Configuration Guide

Be aware that certain models are not supported by the CBC mode.Devices Supported by Omada Cloud-Based Controller

FlameOtter wrote

Thanks.

Yes. Will reset your devices first. All controller does not retain the settings. You should keep a backup of both modes in case you want to ditch one or the other.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 500

Replies: 12

Related Articles