Link between a Wi-Fi and a LAN

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2023-10-30 07:42:39
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version: 5.12.7

Hi everyone,

I have 2 TP-Link APs and I'd like to manage them through the Omada Software Controller.

I created a WLAN (let's call him WiFi-A) and I use the default LAN (192.168.1.0/24). But, when I connect a computer on WiFi-A, I don't receive an IP address from the LAN, the one I receive is looking like 169.254.X.X/16 (I know what kind of address it is, don't worry about that).

I watched a few videos and other things to configure what I want and it seems that if I want to link my WiFi-A and the LAN, i have to create a "switch profile" and apply it on my switch. My problem is that I don't use TP-Link switches and routers so I'd like to know if there is another way or if I'm wrong from the start about it.

May you can help me to solve that ?

I wish you all a good day.

Options
4 Reply
Re:Link between a Wi-Fi and a LAN
2023-10-30 23:33:17

@Nezdia 

A 169.x.x.x address' is an automatic fallback address when your client can't see a DHCP server.. basically it can't get an address

The address should be coming from your router, which I guess is on the same 192.168.1.x range?

Options
2023-10-31 08:01:28

@Philbert 

I think I didn't express my needs in the good way. Imma try to be more precise.

My main network is in 172.16.1.0/24, my APs and my controller are on this network. I can already share this network from my APs, there is no problem with this.

But, I want my APs to share the 192.168.1.0/24 network which I created on the controller. This part doesn't work. If I'm not wrong, I don't need to create the DHCP range on the router, the controller should play this role right?

The problem is that I don't know how to link my LAN (192.168.1.0/24) to the WLAN I created (with the SSID WiFi-A). For now, If I connect a device to WiFi-A, I receive an IP address looking like 169.254.x.x/16 but I'd like to get a 192.168.1.x/24 address. Is it possible to do this? Even without devices (switchs and router) from TP-Link?

Thank you

Options
2023-10-31 20:12:43

@Nezdia 

Ah ok so that makes a bit more sense now

To create a vlan with an alternative IP range, you will need a router and switch.  In short the controller is literally a controller, vlans require switches to create the vlan and a router to terminate it / provide the dhcp.

The controller just manages all you hardware, it doesnt do the heavy lifting required to create the vlans etc..

To manage all this via the controller you need an omada router and switch, however if you have non omada hardware already there is no reason you cant do this yourself.

What hardware do you have?   Sadly most ISP home routers and switches dont support vlans.

Options
2023-11-02 07:55:54

@Philbert 

Sorry, I didn't see that you answered.

I thought that the Omada Controller could manage VLANs and other things like that. I worked on controllers which could do it.

My devices aren't home ones, there are from HP, I got them from an internship so I can manage them and create VLANs, etc. Same for my router.

So if I understood, all I have to do is to create a VLAN on my devices and on the controller I create a LAN with the same VLAN?

Options