Several sites with same WiFi configuration

2023-10-30 08:38:57
Model: EAP245  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

Hi,

we are building up an Omada installation with a on premise SDN. There will be > 50 sites (restaurant chain; each store gets its own site). Currently, all APs are assigned to one "WiFi Site". Reason: All sites have the same WiFi settings/configuration. That makes it more easy to change the keys of the SSIDs. If I assign the APs to their sites (restaurant they belong to), I would have to change the key for each site separately. Which would be a pain in the a... if I always have to do that > 50 times ...

Is there any way to define a "WiFi profile" that I can use for all sites? Or define different WiFi profiles that I can then assign to several sites?

BR
C

Options
9 Reply
Re:Several sites with same WiFi configuration
2023-10-31 09:51:57

Hello @Honkman,

Thank you for your valuable feedback.

I've recorded this request and will report it to the developer team for evaluation.

Best Regards! >> Omada EAP Firmware Trial Available Here << >> Get the Latest Omada SDN Controller Releases Here << *Try filtering posts on each forum by Label of [Early Access]*
Options
2023-10-31 10:00:32

@Honkman 

Maybe for your better understanding: I have defined a captive portal, several SSIDs, etc. To keep that updated for > 50 sites is almost impossible.

hence it would be perfect to define a "WiFi profile" which included all the settings possible for WiFis. That should be possible to be done on "Global" for example. Then this profile (which includes all the settings) should be available to be picked on each site.

Options
2024-02-08 12:28:13

I have the same problem. I am supposed to install a global WLAN configuration with a RADIUS server for around 100 locations (SItes).
Approximately 400 WLAN access points are required.

With the current controller capabilities, setting up and maintaining it is an enormous effort.

In addition, the ability to set up multiple WLAN networks with Radius authentication for one Ethernet network is required.

Options
2024-02-10 02:04:05

@Honkman 

does this not work if you export this site and migrate it to the rest of other sites?

ScReW yOu gUyS. I aM GOinG hoMe. —————————————————————— For heaven's sake, can you write and describe your issue based on plain fact, common logic and a methodologic approach? Appreciate it.
Options
2024-02-12 10:44:41

@Honkman 

No, this is not an option. What if I need to change the key of a SSID / Wifi? Or make modifications to the captive portal? I would need to make the changes for each and every site separatly. That would be a huge effort every single time.

C

Options
2024-02-12 11:10:13

This also applies to us. In addition, only one RADIUS server should be used for all authentications, not a separate one for each site.

Options
2024-02-12 13:19:52 - last edited 2024-02-12 13:20:21

@Honkman 

Honkman wrote

@Honkman 

No, this is not an option. What if I need to change the key of a SSID / Wifi? Or make modifications to the captive portal? I would need to make the changes for each and every site separatly. That would be a huge effort every single time.

C

then this is against your statement in the title which you need the same wifi config.

anyway, you still need to change it one by one.

and it is supposed to be what you need to do as a network admin. even there is a batch config, that's to change them to the same password instead of different ones.

i got it that you want to save your time for other stuff but it is why you are paid.

try to get some hotkey and do this automatically.

ScReW yOu gUyS. I aM GOinG hoMe. —————————————————————— For heaven's sake, can you write and describe your issue based on plain fact, common logic and a methodologic approach? Appreciate it.
Options
2024-02-12 14:43:37

@Tedd404 

"i got it that you want to save your time for other stuff but it is why you are paid" are you nuts? That is exactly what a centralized management is for. saving time.I do not want to rip of my clients with stupid work.

If I have 30, 40, 50, etc. sites and they all need to have the same for example WiFi config, it just does not make sense if you need to change parameters like WiFi key, captivae portal settings, for each site separatly. Sure I could do that. But then I could that on the APs directly. No need for a centralized management then. And, by the way, other suppliers (Forti, Cisco) do offer that with no problem ... That's why I though it would be beneficial having this on that platform as well.

BR
C

Options
RE:<span class='search-highlight'>Several</span> sites with same WiFi configuration
2024-02-13 07:08:50
I need this too!
Options

Information

Helpful: 3

Views: 235

Replies: 9

Voters 3