Bug - Controller v5.12.9 incorrectly flags SFP WAN as Offline

2023-11-01 14:28:05 - last edited 2024-01-01 19:56:14
Model: OC300  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: 5.12.9

When looking at the Controller>Device>Gateway>Status pop up, the OC300 Controller with v5.12.9 now shows SFP WAN as Offline when in the WAN Primary, SFP WAN backup mode on the ER7602 Gateway. The backup SFP WAN still operates and is active, despite being shown as "Offline". The gateway properly fails over to the SFP WAN port when the WAN port is disconnected. So it performs correctly in failover mode - the SFP WAN simply is flagged erroneously as Offline.

BTY, when a forced failover occurs (by disconnecting the WAN port) and the SFP WAN port takes over, it then shows SFP WAN Online. Once the WAN port is reconnected, it (eventually) reverts to the SFP WAN being shown as Offline.

Options
1 Accepted Solution
Re:Bug - Controller v5.12.9 incorrectly flags SFP WAN as Offline-Solution
2023-11-15 12:20:58 - last edited 2024-01-01 19:56:39

My thanks to @Hank21 for moving this concern forward through the TP-Link support process. I received the following response from the engineering team:

"This is an existing bug, which is expected to be resolved in Controller 5.13."

I greatly appreciate TP-Link's and this Community's support for its customers and users.

Recommended Solution
Options
7 Reply
Re:Bug - Controller v5.12.7 incorrectly flags SFP WAN as Offline
2023-11-02 03:37:28

Hello @Hyseas,

The backup SFP WAN still operates and is active, despite being shown as "Offline". The gateway properly fails over to the SFP WAN port when the WAN port is disconnected. So it performs correctly in failover mode - the SFP WAN simply is flagged erroneously as Offline.

Let me double confirm whether the SFP WAN shows Online after the primary WAN disconnects the link backup and successfully switches to the working SFP WAN?

What is the firmware version of your ER7206?

BTY, when a forced failover occurs (by disconnecting the WAN port) and the SFP WAN port takes over, it then shows SFP WAN Online. Once the WAN port is reconnected, it (eventually) reverts to the SFP WAN being shown as Offline.

It is normal the Backup WAN shows offline if you set the link backup on the controller, the Primary WAN will be online and Backup WAN will be offline in general, but if there is a internet issue triggered the failover function, during this time, Backup WAN will be online and Primary WAN will be offline.

Please refer to this FAQ for more details.

Best Regards! >> Omada EAP Firmware Trial Available Here << >> Get the Latest Omada SDN Controller Releases Here << *Try filtering posts on each forum by Label of [Early Access]*
Options
2023-11-02 11:26:36

@Hank21 The current firmware is v5.12.7, and it is a bug in this version. Firmware v5.9.32 and earlier have shown the correct flag for the backup WAN. As an administrator, I need confirmation that the backup WAN is online so that a reliable failover can be anticipated. Anytime I see the backup WAN in the offline mode, I know the backup WAN has failed and the line needs to be restored.

Logic follows that a failover condition exists when the primary WAN is "offline". The new firmware v5.12.7 with the offline flag used as you have described provides no useful information to an administrator. If the WAN is actually in failover mode, hence relying on the backup WAN, then the primary WAN will have failed and it condition will show "offline". That's useful information for the administrator.

Options
2023-11-03 03:35:54 - last edited 2023-11-03 03:36:03

Hi @Hyseas,

Thanks for your reply, but you haven't answered my question.

The backup SFP WAN still operates and is active, despite being shown as "Offline". The gateway properly fails over to the SFP WAN port when the WAN port is disconnected. So it performs correctly in failover mode - the SFP WAN simply is flagged erroneously as Offline.

1. Let me double confirm whether the SFP WAN shows Online after the primary WAN disconnects the link backup and successfully switches to the working SFP WAN?

2. What is the firmware version of your ER7206?

Best Regards! >> Omada EAP Firmware Trial Available Here << >> Get the Latest Omada SDN Controller Releases Here << *Try filtering posts on each forum by Label of [Early Access]*
Options
2023-11-03 11:57:22

@Hank21 Good morning! The ER7206 shows newest firmware @ 1.3.0 Build 20230322 Rel.70951. And yes, the SFP WAN shows online when it is active in v5.12.7. I have successfully downgraded the OC300 back to v5.9.32, where it now properly shows both the WAN and the SFP WAN as online. Also while the ER7206 was isolated, its own web interface also showed both WAN and SFP WAN as Online - so the new firmware 5.12.7 doesn't even reflect the ER7206's stated condition.

Options
2023-11-06 06:04:42

Hello @Hyseas,

Thank you so much for taking the time to post the issue on TP-Link community!

To better assist you, I've created a support ticket via your registered email address, and escalated it to our support engineer to look into the issue. The ticket ID is TKID231109426, please check your email box and ensure the support email is well received. Thanks!

Once the issue is addressed or resolved, welcome to update this topic thread with your solution to help others who may encounter the same issue as you did.

Many thanks for your great cooperation and patience!

Options
Re:Bug - Controller v5.12.9 incorrectly flags SFP WAN as Offline-Solution
2023-11-15 12:20:58 - last edited 2024-01-01 19:56:39

My thanks to @Hank21 for moving this concern forward through the TP-Link support process. I received the following response from the engineering team:

"This is an existing bug, which is expected to be resolved in Controller 5.13."

I greatly appreciate TP-Link's and this Community's support for its customers and users.

Recommended Solution
Options
2024-01-01 19:55:18
Correction: The title should state v5.12.9 (NOT 5.12.7).
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 489

Replies: 7

Related Articles