Why does TP-Link snub 10" racks?

2023-11-07 19:56:29 - last edited 2023-11-07 19:58:43
Tags: #10" rack switch

Hi all,

Does anyone have any idea why TP-Link snubs 10" rack mounts? Many small business setups don't have the requirement/space for large 19" racks, but use more discrete/smaller footprint  10" racks.

However, nota single TP-Link product I see is compatible with 10" racks. Im fully invested in the Omada system with 8 APs of different flavours controlled by the OC200 controller. I even got an ER605 VPN router, though this proved to be useless as it has to sit behind the ISP fiber router, since it doesn't (yet) support DHCP option 60 (another thread).

Both of these network boxes need to sit on rack mounted shelves as there's nothing to mount them (their size I guess).

However, what I find amazing is that not a single switch is 10" rack mountable. The ones that are compatable width/height wise are eg TL-SG2210P, TL-SG2008P etc but

1. the ports are on the back 

2. there is no place to bracket mount place available 

Crazy!!

The only non-19" rack mountable switch is the TL-SG2210MP but 29cm wide (11.4"), that's too small for 19" racks and too big for 10", so why make it rack mountable???

Or am I missing something?!

In the end, my Omada setup has to make do with 3 non-TP-Link L2+ managed PoE+ switches, which is a real shame as I'm missing out on the ease of Omada management :(

Options
6 Reply
Re:Why does TP-Link snub 10" racks?
2023-11-08 01:59:10

Hi @sprocket13 

Thanks for posting in our business forum.

In that situation, you will use stuff like this to adjust it. If you look at all the products we have, they basically and consistently come in the same dimensions and the same rack mount size.

Best Regards! If you are new to the forum, please read: Howto - A Guide to Use Forum Effectively. Read Before You Post. Look for a model? Search your model NOW Beta firmware got some NEW features! Subscribe for the latest update!Download Beta Here☚ ☛ ★ Configuration Guide ★ ☚ ☛ ★ Knowledge Base ★ ☚ ☛ ★ Troubleshooting Manual ★ ☚ (Disclaimer: Short links are used above solely for guidance to TP-Link subdomains and are safe and tracker-free. Exercise caution with short links from non-official members on forums. We are not liable for external content or damage from non-official members' link use.)
Options
2023-11-08 08:22:36 - last edited 2023-11-08 08:28:07

@Clive_A  Hi and thanks for the reply - that is exactly my point though:

• Those brackets are to make 10" rack equipment compatible with 19" racks 
  • TP-Link (unless mistaken) makes NO 10"-compatible switches (eg TL-SG2210P is the right size, but no bracket mounting holes on the side)
  • TL-SG2210MP is neither here nor there - it has bracket mounting holes on the side, but is too wide for a 10" rack and too wide to add those brackets to add to a 19" rack

My point being that you have no products compatible with 10" racks  - I (I am not alone) have fitted a nice small wall-mounted 10" 9U rack but have to use non-TP-link switches (2 different brands are used) for my Omada setup, which is a real shame (for me and others like me). That said, controlling the EAPs is the most important and I'll continue manually modiffying the VLANs on my managed switching, unless an Omada 10"-compatible rack mount switch becomes available!

10 inch rack

-- edit

on the photo above, the switch labelled "C" (labelled on the right) has a rack mount bracket fitted. TL-SG2210P is exactly the same size as this switch, but:

1. Has no screw holes on the side to mount a bracket
  2. Is the wrong way round for a rack - unless it's back to front and has the transformer plug coming out of the front!
Options
2023-12-04 12:50:11

Unfortunately, TP-Link's limited support for 10" rack mounts can indeed be a pain for smaller business configurations. Your detailed experience with the ER605 and the APs sheds light on the challenges.

It's a bit baffling why TP-Link hasn't fully embraced the 10" rack compatibility. Your workaround with non-TP-Link switches is a smart move for now, but I hope TP-Link considers expanding their product range to accommodate smaller racks in the future.

Options
2024-01-29 07:23:54

@sprocket13 

I also faced the same issue.

Regards Chitra Mishra
Options
2024-03-06 11:35:16

@chitra150 There are already three of us with this problem. What do we do?

Options
2 weeks ago

@sprocket13 

might help someone.  There are many 3D files for OMADA equipment. Files for 10" racks, lke the mounts for most all OMADA line of units.

Options

Information

Helpful: 1

Views: 477

Replies: 6

Tags

10" rack switch
Related Articles