Home network with OC200, multiple access points, and two internet routers?

2023-11-10 17:20:01 - last edited 2023-11-13 03:03:00
Model: OC200   Archer AX1800  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

I would like to setup a home network that uses one SSID for one internet router and another SSID for the internet router.

The goal is that users can manually choose between networks depending on the current speed/reliability of the network.

I have an OC200 and a bunch of access points such as TP-Link AX1800.

Is this configuration possible?

Options
1 Accepted Solution
Re:Home network with OC200, multiple access points, and two internet routers?-Solution
2023-11-11 13:31:11 - last edited 2023-11-13 03:03:00

@snowch 

PBR doesn't rely on the internet connection latency.  It's basically you push traffic across a certain WAN.  

Load balancing will NOT necessarily do that either.  Load Balancing will shoot traffic across each wan equally or weighted.  

You will probably need to setup 2 SSIDs.  VLAN for each one.  PBR each SSID VLAN over a WAN (1 or 2) and let the users pick which SSID they want to use.  

I can not teach anyone anything - I can only make them think - Socrates
Recommended Solution
Options
5 Reply
Re:Home network with OC200, multiple access points, and two internet routers?
2023-11-10 20:44:47

@snowch 

NOT exactly with the hardware you have.

Get an ER7206 and you can setup 2 WANs.  Then you can PBR (Policy Base Routing) VLANs to which ever WAN you want (WAN1 or WAN2)

You can let the user themselves define which want they want to go out of.  There isnt a direct option for that.  You can RIG that up a little.  Have 2 SSIDs on each SSID pbr to a WAN.  Let the users pick which SSID they want to use.  

I would think the 1st option, without PBR and with Load Balancing enabled over 2 wans, will do the trick.  

Options
2023-11-11 07:08:54
Thanks for the quick response KimcheeGUN. Will PBR work well when the Internet connections are both using cell phone 5g networks? I have tried something similar before with a mikrotik router... With my previous trials I found that one of the internet connections would frequently become extremely slow, due to cell tower being overloaded at certain times of day, etc. Any new network sessions on my home network would be directed to the faster Internet connection but existing sessions continued to use the existing degraded Internet connection. This is why I am considering allowing the users to choose which Internet connection they use. TIA.
Options
Re:Home network with OC200, multiple access points, and two internet routers?-Solution
2023-11-11 13:31:11 - last edited 2023-11-13 03:03:00

@snowch 

PBR doesn't rely on the internet connection latency.  It's basically you push traffic across a certain WAN.  

Load balancing will NOT necessarily do that either.  Load Balancing will shoot traffic across each wan equally or weighted.  

You will probably need to setup 2 SSIDs.  VLAN for each one.  PBR each SSID VLAN over a WAN (1 or 2) and let the users pick which SSID they want to use.  

Recommended Solution
Options
2023-11-11 16:00:14

@KimcheeGUN 

perfect- thx!

will this be possible to setup on the TL-R605?

Options
2023-11-12 12:48:38

@snowch 

It can be... but matters on what hardware version it is... it maybe EOL (V1) 

Do yourself a favor and buy a ER605 V2 or a 7206 to future-proof your setup!

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 360

Replies: 5

Related Articles