IPv6 Default Gateway in Static routes - IP not accepted

2023-11-17 10:41:16 - last edited 2023-11-27 05:52:07
Hardware Version: V3
Firmware Version: 3.0.5 Build 20200110 Rel.50207(s)

I'm trying to add a default IPv6 route to my switch, however it keeps failing on the IP address for some reason.

Any ideas as why this could be failing, please? Or how I should go about setting this up?

As IPv6 address I type :: to indicate this is the default gateway.

As prefix length I take 64 as honestly I don't know what value I should use.

In the next hop I enter the IPv6 address of my ISP router, which is in this format: 2a02:xxxx:xxxx:xxxx:xxxx:xxxx:xxxx:xxxx

However it keeps failing over and over. Even why I add the ::2 (for which I don't know the purpose neither).

Options
1 Accepted Solution
Re:IPv6 Default Gateway in Static routes - IP not accepted-Solution
2023-11-23 00:43:19 - last edited 2023-11-24 01:34:34

Hi @Threesa

Thanks for posting in our business forum.
Prefix should be zero.

Best Regards! If you are new to the forum, please read: Howto - A Guide to Use Forum Effectively. Read Before You Post. Look for a model? Search your model NOW Beta firmware got some NEW features! Subscribe for the latest update!Download Beta Here☚ ☛ ★ Configuration Guide ★ ☚ ☛ ★ Knowledge Base ★ ☚ ☛ ★ Troubleshooting Manual ★ ☚ (Disclaimer: Short links are used above solely for guidance to TP-Link subdomains and are safe and tracker-free. Exercise caution with short links from non-official members on forums. We are not liable for external content or damage from non-official members' link use.)
Recommended Solution
Options
9 Reply
Re:IPv6 Default Gateway in Static routes - IP not accepted
2023-11-21 09:57:03

Hi @Threesa 

Your network diagram and setup. Next hop should be the accessible destination.

And please explain what you mean by fail. Not allow you to input the value? Or input successfully, but not working effectively.

What is the ISP v6 prefix?

Best Regards! If you are new to the forum, please read: Howto - A Guide to Use Forum Effectively. Read Before You Post. Look for a model? Search your model NOW Beta firmware got some NEW features! Subscribe for the latest update!Download Beta Here☚ ☛ ★ Configuration Guide ★ ☚ ☛ ★ Knowledge Base ★ ☚ ☛ ★ Troubleshooting Manual ★ ☚ (Disclaimer: Short links are used above solely for guidance to TP-Link subdomains and are safe and tracker-free. Exercise caution with short links from non-official members on forums. We are not liable for external content or damage from non-official members' link use.)
Options
2023-11-21 18:46:31

@Clive_A 

If I input the entire local IPv6 address of my router (which should be the default Gateway) the frontend doesn't allow it.

If I remove the / the frontend accepts it, but then comes back with the message that it's an incorrect IP address.

IPv6 address (local) of the router: 2a02:1811:c511:f400::/64

Options
2023-11-22 03:37:18

Hi @Threesa 

Can you provide a diagram and full description of your front end, the issue and the error you are talking about?

What do you mean by removing the front and accepting it? Who reported incorrect IP? The front end??

Threesa wrote

@Clive_A 

If I input the entire local IPv6 address of my router (which should be the default Gateway) the frontend doesn't allow it.

If I remove the / the frontend accepts it, but then comes back with the message that it's an incorrect IP address.

IPv6 address (local) of the router: 2a02:1811:c511:f400::/64

I am still confused. With some screenshots to illustrate your issue. Please make a clear description.

Options
2023-11-22 05:16:01 - last edited 2023-11-22 05:16:24

@Clive_A 

Options
Re:IPv6 Default Gateway in Static routes - IP not accepted-Solution
2023-11-23 00:43:19 - last edited 2023-11-24 01:34:34

Hi @Threesa

Prefix should be zero.

Recommended Solution
Options
2023-11-23 18:15:58

@Clive_A 

OMG! That did it indeed :o
Could you explain me why, please?

Options
2023-11-24 01:34:14

Hi @Threesa 

Threesa wrote

@Clive_A 

OMG! That did it indeed :o
Could you explain me why, please?

IPv6 prefix 64 represents a subnet with a large number of available host IP addresses, while IPv6 prefix 0 denotes an unused or reserved IPV6 network address range.

Options
2023-11-24 05:18:20

@Clive_A 

That much is clear indeed. But why didn't my switch accept it as a value?

Does the 64 prefix imply a limited set of starting digits in the IP address (like the different scopes and subnets in IPv4)? So that the switch didn't accept it, because the IP I tried to enter was out of the range of a 64 prefix network?

Options
2023-11-27 01:44:42

Hi @Threesa 

Threesa wrote

@Clive_A 

That much is clear indeed. But why didn't my switch accept it as a value?

Does the 64 prefix imply a limited set of starting digits in the IP address (like the different scopes and subnets in IPv4)? So that the switch didn't accept it, because the IP I tried to enter was out of the range of a 64 prefix network?

Seem to be the case. Yes.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 296

Replies: 9

Related Articles