Internet issues when backup WAN is having problems, even though Primary WAN is working, Link Backup

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

Internet issues when backup WAN is having problems, even though Primary WAN is working, Link Backup

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2023-11-18 19:20:04
Tags: #Link Backup
Model: OC300   ER605 (TL-R605)  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

Primary WAN = FIOS 

Backup WAN = 5G Hotspot with RJ45 port (not USB)

Primary WAN is working fine. When backup WAN router/modem has issues such as being powered up but offline/loss of internet connection from ISP, I experience connectivity issues across all devices (wired and WiFi).  Some devices cannot connect at all to the internet while others appear to work for most things but cannot connect to external VPN or certain connections. The primary WAN is fine. When I unplug the backup WAN from the ER605 everything works fine instantly. As long as the backup WAN has an internet connection everything works fine with all traffic going through the primary WAN. 

If I setup Link Backup, I would think everything should work perfectly fine as long as the primary WAN is working.  

Options
5 Reply
Re:Internet issues when backup WAN is having problems, even though Primary WAN is working, Link Backup
2023-11-20 08:45:11

@AKNetDude 

Are you sure the primary wan is working when the backup wan becomes offline? If you go to router's details window, what the wan status show here?

Just striving to develop myself while helping others.
Options
Re:Internet issues when backup WAN is having problems, even though Primary WAN is working, Link Backup
2023-11-29 05:29:15

@Virgo Yes, primary wan is working. Everything started working normally when I unplugged the backup wan Ethernet cable from the router. All devices (30+) are connecting to the internet with no issues. 

Everything was working just fine before my backup wan device received a firmware update recently. Since then the device loses internet connection after a period of time until it is restarted. Regardless of the issues with this device, why is the router getting hung up on issues with the backup wan when all connections should be routed to the primary wan which is working perfectly? Is there something wrong with my settings shown in the screenshot? Are there other settings I'm missing?

Options
2023-11-29 16:09:26

@AKNetDude 

How is your backup WAN connection set up for LInk Detection?  Removing the physical cable results in 'proper' detection, but default settings do not. So why?

<< Paying it forward, one juicy problem at a time... >>
Options
2023-12-01 20:57:28

@d0ugmac1 I'm not sure how to setup link detection. I'm using an OC300 controller. 

I am able to consistently re-create this problem. When the backup wan does not have an internet connection everything will be fine for a few hours or so. Eventually devices stop connecting to the internet or are unable to reach certain sites. As soon as I unplug the backup wan cable everything works again. 

For example, my laptop is connecting to the internet through the primary wan. The speed test results back this up as the backup wan cannot deliver that bandwidth. However, I cannot connect to certain sites/links. I get unable to reach host messages. As soon as I disconnected the backup wan cable everything worked. This is the case with multiple devices on my network, wired and wireless. 

Options
2023-12-02 05:49:48

@AKNetDude 

Read section 4 first.

Then read section 3

https://community.tp-link.com/en/business/forum/topic/641740

I think what could be happening is the way you have your link tests setup per section 4.

<< Paying it forward, one juicy problem at a time... >>
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 504

Replies: 5

Tags

Link Backup
Related Articles