CPE210/EAP225 to extend internet access to another building as well as outside

2023-11-20 06:33:13 - last edited 2023-11-30 07:59:54

Hi all,

I'm hoping to get a bit of advice as to what is the best way to acheive being able to access my internet (currently installed and accessed via wifi inside the house) both outside the dwelling as well as inside another building approx 80m away?

I currently have four mesh routers installed (one connected directly to the modem using ethernet, one connected just outside the house using wifi, one in a shed approx 50m away using wifi and one in the second dwelling approx 20m further away from the shed using wifi). This current setup gets me good wifi access inside the house as well as about 30m from the house in all directions however in the shed and second dwelling the internet is barely usable (no good for streaming and regular drop outs makes even web browsing a pain).

Ultimately I want to be able to have good wifi access (video streaming) outside for about 50m in all directions from the main house as well as in the shed and second dwelling.

My current thought is the following setup:

- Keep the 1st mesh router that is connected to the modem in place

- Install and hardwire (via ethernet) a CPE210 to the 2nd mesh router just outside the main house

- Install a second CPE210 at the second dwelling (80m line of sight through some trees to CPE210 at house)

- Hardwire 3rd mesh router in second dwelling to 2nd CPE210

- Leave 4th mesh router in place in shed (20m from 3rd mesh router/2nd CPE210 and 50m from 2nd mesh router at main house)

I think this should provide good access inside the house and at the shed and second dwelling.

If I then need better wifi around the main house I can still an EAP225 connected to the first CPE210.

Any thoughts? Will this work? Is there a better/more efficient way of acheiving what I want?

Steve

Options
1 Accepted Solution
Re:CPE210/EAP225 to extend internet access to another building as well as outside-Solution
2023-11-20 22:30:05 - last edited 2023-11-30 07:59:54

@SteveVee 

Well, if by 'Mesh Router' your mean something like a 'Deco' unit...those are 'whole home' units not 'whole homestead'.  I don't know many residences with a 70m span :)

On a more helpful note, you can do what you want to do, easily and efficietly with a pair of EAP225-outdoors, or 3 if you have the funds.  The first two units should be mounted on the exterior side of the primary and secondary residences, literally at both ends of the <--70m--> line.  The 3rd unit would mount to the shed, corner nearest primary residence.  Units are powered by the supplied POE injector and you need to run 1 cable from the primary residence unit inside to your ISP modem/router.  For the meshing to happen, you also need a controller (Omada controller)...which can be in the form of an OC200, a Pi or Pi-clone, a VM, Cloud Controller, or an old laptop as ideally it should run 24/7 in case the mesh needs to recover or resync.  The easiest solution is the OC200 as it's ready to configure out of the box, no assemby required.

The advantage of the EAP225-outdoors over the CPE-XXX line is that they also provide user access on both 2.4 and 5.8G bands, and you get pretty good coverage/performance in the 50-80' range.

<< Paying it forward, one juicy problem at a time... >>
Recommended Solution
Options
3 Reply
Re:CPE210/EAP225 to extend internet access to another building as well as outside-Solution
2023-11-20 22:30:05 - last edited 2023-11-30 07:59:54

@SteveVee 

Well, if by 'Mesh Router' your mean something like a 'Deco' unit...those are 'whole home' units not 'whole homestead'.  I don't know many residences with a 70m span :)

On a more helpful note, you can do what you want to do, easily and efficietly with a pair of EAP225-outdoors, or 3 if you have the funds.  The first two units should be mounted on the exterior side of the primary and secondary residences, literally at both ends of the <--70m--> line.  The 3rd unit would mount to the shed, corner nearest primary residence.  Units are powered by the supplied POE injector and you need to run 1 cable from the primary residence unit inside to your ISP modem/router.  For the meshing to happen, you also need a controller (Omada controller)...which can be in the form of an OC200, a Pi or Pi-clone, a VM, Cloud Controller, or an old laptop as ideally it should run 24/7 in case the mesh needs to recover or resync.  The easiest solution is the OC200 as it's ready to configure out of the box, no assemby required.

The advantage of the EAP225-outdoors over the CPE-XXX line is that they also provide user access on both 2.4 and 5.8G bands, and you get pretty good coverage/performance in the 50-80' range.

Recommended Solution
Options
Re:CPE210/EAP225 to extend internet access to another building as well as outside
2023-11-27 03:02:57

@d0ugmac1 

Thanks for your advice.

I do have a laptop that currently runs 24/7 for another purpose so I could utilise that. What is the software that you need to run on the machine? Is there a cost to purchase it or is it free?

Options
Re:CPE210/EAP225 to extend internet access to another building as well as outside
2023-11-27 13:51:02

@SteveVee 

Omada Controller software is free, available for Windows and Linux.  If you have a Docker setup, there's a great image from mbentley on the repository.  You can download it from the TPlink support pages.

Options