EAP610-Outdoor how can I hide the SSID?

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2023-11-20 21:49:17 - last edited 2023-11-30 08:02:01

Hello!

I have the following set up:

• an Archer AX80 router.
    • 2.4GHz wireless radio on and an SSID "MyInternet"  (not for real) that is hidden.
    • IoT network set up for 2.4Ghz and let's say that SSID is "MyIoT" - also hidden.
  • AX80 LAN port ---> POE switch ---> Splitter ---> 
    • IP/POE Camera
    • EAP610: set up in standalone mode

Questions:

1. I would like to use the EAP610 for that side of the yard with the same SSID as above "MyInternet".... but do not want it broadcast.  Where is the setting to hide the EAP SSID?
  2. Is there a way using Tether to block traffic on the EAP610 without bringing down the Camera?  Guessing not with the current set up, but wanted to check.

Any advice or direction would be appreciated!

Thank you!

Options
1 Accepted Solution
Re:EAP610-Outdoor how can I hide the SSID?-Solution
2023-11-21 03:55:16 - last edited 2023-11-30 08:02:01

@B_NancyMarie 

See the blue markings, the image is from here.

Just striving to develop myself while helping others.
Recommended Solution
Options
4 Reply
Re:EAP610-Outdoor how can I hide the SSID?
2023-11-21 03:22:04

@B_NancyMarie 

I assume you are using the AP in 'Standalone' mode.  

There will be a setting in the Wireless SSID setup on whether or not to 'Broadcast' the SSID (network name).  That's standard and easy.

The AP will act as an extension of the Archer router, as if the devices connected to it are plugged directly into the port that the AP is physically plugged into.  If you want to block all traffic, except traffic from the camera, you would need to implement some rules such as ACLs or Routing Policy to deal with any 'other traffic'.

An 'advanced' approach, you might consider a unique SSID (the AP can support multiple SSIDs) with one SSID dedicated to the camera and mapped to a special VLAN, all other traffic would go via your standard SSID and second VLAN and be dealt with as you see fit (ie by time-of-day or other filtering rules, including forwarding it to nowhere). 

Please note that even with the exact same network name (SSID) and security settings, you won't get 'seamless' roaming between the internal wifi of the Archer and the external AP.

<< Paying it forward, one juicy problem at a time... >>
Options
Re:EAP610-Outdoor how can I hide the SSID?-Solution
2023-11-21 03:55:16 - last edited 2023-11-30 08:02:01

@B_NancyMarie 

See the blue markings, the image is from here.

Just striving to develop myself while helping others.
Recommended Solution
Options
2023-11-25 19:55:18

@d0ugmac1 

Yes, standalone mode.

Thank you for the recommendation on the VLAN - I will give that a try!

Options
2023-11-25 19:56:14
Thank you for the screenshot! I somehow glanced right over that when I set it up originally.
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 708

Replies: 4

Related Articles