ER605 VLAN not working after adding OC200

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2023-11-28 02:23:05 - last edited 2023-12-22 06:05:02
Model: ER605 (TL-R605)   OC200  
Hardware Version: V6
Firmware Version: 2.12

Hi,

I have this setup for my ER605:

Port 1: WAN

Port 2: VLAN2

Port 3: Open

Port 4,5: VLAN1

Port 1 is connected to the modem in passthrough mode.

Port 2 is directly connected to a PC acting as a server, running ubuntu.

Port 3 was open, and now connected to OC200.

Port 4 -> Unmanaged Switch -> Managed Switch -> Wireless AP

Port 5 -> Wireless AP

Everything was working fine and Port 1 was isolated through VLAN to the rest of the ports.

After connecting the OC200 to port3, I tried setting up the VLANs the way I had set up earlier.

But I am not able to get the ip address on my server PC anymore.

This is what I did:

Settings -> Wired Network -> LAN -> Create New Lan

In The Profile:

PS: I tried with setting Untagged Network and Tagged Network setting to various permutations, but no dice)

Then I go to my ER605 and enable the PVID to 11

It was working all fine before adding OC200. Not sure what else I need to do.

Options
1 Accepted Solution
Re:ER605 VLAN not working after adding OC200-Solution
2023-12-22 05:29:16 - last edited 2023-12-22 06:05:02

@Clive_A Thanks for the response and for helping out with this. I can't exactly pin point what made things work, but suddenly everything worked. I deleted the VLAN settings and recreated VLAN, saw an update to ER605 firmware and installed that, enabled the flow control on the port and viola, out of nowhere things started working.

Only thing I had to do extra is creating the ACL rules to block the communication between two LANs.

I already had started the return process for OC200, but looks like I don't have to anymore.

Recommended Solution
Options
11 Reply
Re:ER605 VLAN not working after adding OC200
2023-11-28 03:47:18

Hi @tex_er605_oc200 

Thanks for posting in our business forum.

PVID = 11, so this profile on this port should include Untagged VLAN 11.

Replug the client into the portWAN/LAN1 after the configs are saved. (You should see "Configuring" on the router or any Omada devices if you make a change. Wait for it to turn into "Connected". Then the parameters should be effective.)

PC should get VLAN 11 IP address then.

Best Regards! If you are new to the forum, please read: Howto - A Guide to Use Forum Effectively. Read Before You Post. Look for a model? Search your model NOW Official and Beta firmware. NEW features! Subscribe for the latest update!Download Beta Here☚ ☛ ★ Configuration Guide ★ ☚ ☛ ★ Knowledge Base ★ ☚ ☛ ★ Troubleshooting Manual ★ ☚ (Disclaimer: Short links are used above solely for guidance to TP-Link subdomains and are safe and tracker-free. Exercise caution with short links from non-official members on forums. We are not liable for external content or damage from non-official members' link use.)
Options
2023-11-29 15:12:56 - last edited 2023-11-29 15:15:34

@Clive_A 

Thanks for the suggestion. I tried that already, and it didn't help. That's how it was set in ER605 earlier, but the same is not working anymore.

Options
2023-11-30 05:40:30

Hi @tex_er605_oc200 

tex_er605_oc200 wrote

Hi,

I have this setup for my ER605:

Port 1: WAN

Port 2: VLAN2

Port 3: Open

Port 4,5: VLAN1

Port 1 is connected to the modem in passthrough mode.

Port 2 is directly connected to a PC acting as a server, running ubuntu.

Port 3 was open, and now connected to OC200.

Port 4 -> Unmanaged Switch -> Managed Switch -> Wireless AP

Port 5 -> Wireless AP

Everything was working fine and Port 1 was isolated through VLAN to the rest of the ports.

After connecting the OC200 to port3, I tried setting up the VLANs the way I had set up earlier.

But I am not able to get the ip address on my server PC anymore.

This is what I did:

Settings -> Wired Network -> LAN -> Create New Lan

In The Profile:

PS: I tried with setting Untagged Network and Tagged Network setting to various permutations, but no dice)

Then I go to my ER605 and enable the PVID to 11

It was working all fine before adding OC200. Not sure what else I need to do.

Computer is supposed to run fine. Run another computer and check if that computer can get the VLAN 11 IP. It should work without a problem.

Just set the port and set the PVID, the PC should get the IP from the ER605.

Nothing else is required.

Best Regards! If you are new to the forum, please read: Howto - A Guide to Use Forum Effectively. Read Before You Post. Look for a model? Search your model NOW Official and Beta firmware. NEW features! Subscribe for the latest update!Download Beta Here☚ ☛ ★ Configuration Guide ★ ☚ ☛ ★ Knowledge Base ★ ☚ ☛ ★ Troubleshooting Manual ★ ☚ (Disclaimer: Short links are used above solely for guidance to TP-Link subdomains and are safe and tracker-free. Exercise caution with short links from non-official members on forums. We are not liable for external content or damage from non-official members' link use.)
Options
2023-11-30 21:59:34

@Clive_A 

Thanks for the help.

Can confirm the IP is assigned on a different PC. I was testing the config on a MAC with an ethernet USB-C adaptor, and that doesn't seem to take the IP. Connecting to a PC worked.

Options
2023-12-01 01:19:51

Hi @tex_er605_oc200 

tex_er605_oc200 wrote

@Clive_A 

Thanks for the help.

Can confirm the IP is assigned on a different PC. I was testing the config on a MAC with an ethernet USB-C adaptor, and that doesn't seem to take the IP. Connecting to a PC worked.

Then this is not an issue with the router or controller. VLAN works. Might be the adapter issue or the driver.

Options
2023-12-14 21:49:52 - last edited 2023-12-14 21:51:36

@Clive_A 

I tried connecting to an ubuntu server PC and the IP is correctly assigned. But it is not getting access to internet. The server also shows up on the client list on the controller for a few seconds and then it disappears.

When I do 'ping 8.8.8.8', I am getting "destination host unreachable".

I connected the same cable back to a windows PC and everything works, but it's not working on ubuntu and mac. This is the same server that had been working flawlessly for almost a year now with ER605 VLAN before OC200 was connected.

I also tried to ping the gateway and still get the same icmp error.

Please advise.

Options
2023-12-18 01:18:39

Hi @tex_er605_oc200 

tex_er605_oc200 wrote

@Clive_A 

I tried connecting to an ubuntu server PC and the IP is correctly assigned. But it is not getting access to internet. The server also shows up on the client list on the controller for a few seconds and then it disappears.

When I do 'ping 8.8.8.8', I am getting "destination host unreachable".

I connected the same cable back to a windows PC and everything works, but it's not working on ubuntu and mac. This is the same server that had been working flawlessly for almost a year now with ER605 VLAN before OC200 was connected.

I also tried to ping the gateway and still get the same icmp error.

Please advise.

What is the ICMP error you get?

If you ping the gateway IP and gets errors, you might wanna take a look at your ipconfigs.

You probably did not set the gateway. If it is DHCP, DHCP would inform the gateway IP in the DHCP assignment. DHCP client-server interaction - IBM

Either Wireshark and see if anything is wrong with DHCP, or you should check what's wrong with the network adapter on the PC and the VM NIC settings.

Options
2023-12-22 00:51:45

@Clive_A 

Everything is correct. I get the IP assigned and DHCP server and gateway IP also looks correct. Tried connecting a dumb tplink switch and the ubuntu desktop through that, that also didn't work.

ifconfig result:

inet 192.168.2.2 netmask 255.255.255.0 broadcast 192.168.2.255

Default Route: 192.168.2.1

DNS: 192.168.2.1

Options
2023-12-22 02:49:35 - last edited 2023-12-22 02:49:45

Hi @tex_er605_oc200

tex_er605_oc200 wrote

@Clive_A 

Everything is correct. I get the IP assigned and DHCP server and gateway IP also looks correct. Tried connecting a dumb tplink switch and the ubuntu desktop through that, that also didn't work.

ifconfig result:

inet 192.168.2.2 netmask 255.255.255.0 broadcast 192.168.2.255

Default Route: 192.168.2.1

DNS: 192.168.2.1

I am not gonna help you troubleshoot on the Linux computer or its system to find out the reason why does not get an IP address. Don't expect me to do so. This is not part of my job to help you beyond our product.

I cannot remote because it is not my job either. You should find the technical support during working hours but they don't provide help on Linux.

You probably should ask this on Ubuntu or Linux Reddit.

Just based on the screenshots you provided, I have examined your settings before and they look good. Setting them up properly would work. And you answered before that just this Ubuntu PC does not work, which also supports my belief that your VLAN is good. It seems to be a problem with the Linux. So I don't have a suggestion for this because it is not my job to help you with your Linux. Not to mention there is ZERO information you provided to me about the Linux config.

Here's my question, will a regular computer work with the VLAN on ER605? If it works but your Linux, you should find help from the Linux community as we have pinpointed the problem is only on the Linux.

If it doesn't work, give me the Wireshark result so I can check. Your network diagram and your VLAN settings. You've configured it so you know what screenshots should be sent.

Options
Re:ER605 VLAN not working after adding OC200-Solution
2023-12-22 05:29:16 - last edited 2023-12-22 06:05:02

@Clive_A Thanks for the response and for helping out with this. I can't exactly pin point what made things work, but suddenly everything worked. I deleted the VLAN settings and recreated VLAN, saw an update to ER605 firmware and installed that, enabled the flow control on the port and viola, out of nowhere things started working.

Only thing I had to do extra is creating the ACL rules to block the communication between two LANs.

I already had started the return process for OC200, but looks like I don't have to anymore.

Recommended Solution
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 669

Replies: 11

Related Articles