TP-Link router as Wireguard client to other brand than TP-Link

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2023-11-28 06:39:16
Model: ER8411  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: 1.1.1

Short question, is it possible to use a TP-Link router with Wireguard support to connect to a wireguard server other than a TP-Link?
I have a wireguard config generated by server but I can't find any way to configure this on TP-Link.

If someone could help me with this I would be happy. all I have is a config file from the server that generated it, this file works fine from the Windows client on my PC.

Options
14 Reply
Re:TP-Link router as Wireguard client to other brand than TP-Link
2023-11-29 01:51:49

Hi @MR.S 

Thanks for posting in our business forum.

Currently, it does not support importing the config like the software WG on PC or other platforms.

If it is in .txt or other plain text format, you can open it up with the notepad and copy the related information to the peer on the router.

Best Regards! If you are new to the forum, please read: Howto - A Guide to Use Forum Effectively. Read Before You Post. Look for a model? Search your model NOW Official and Beta firmware. NEW features! Subscribe for the latest update!Download Beta Here☚ ☛ ★ Configuration Guide ★ ☚ ☛ ★ Knowledge Base ★ ☚ ☛ ★ Troubleshooting Manual ★ ☚ ● Be kind and nice. ● Stay on the topic. ● Post details. ● Search first. Don't be a lazy asker. ● Please don't take it for granted. ● No email confidentiality should be violated. ● S/N, MAC, and your true public IP should be mosaiced.
Options
2023-11-29 06:10:37

@Clive_A 

I have tried many different things without success. this is what i have to work with. here is a copy of a corresponding file.

[Interface]
PrivateKey = iHi0jt+X6GqD1mn9pIYMgEzqUdu9yJEBPFVCJd9tFlY=
Address = 10.11.168.5/32
DNS = 10.11.168.1

[Peer]
PublicKey = NFWtPL+Ih+aim9YoAarsydKIbkERMdVHDjZ2FdiXDjs=
AllowedIPs = 10.11.168.1/32,10.11.168.5/32,0.0.0.0/0
Endpoint = xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx:51821

This file is generated by a UXG-Pro from unifi, I have also tried to connect to the Wireguard server on a raspberry Pi without success.

UXG-Pro connects with no problem to TP-Link routers but TP-Link is unable to connect to Unifi or raspberry pi server as Client.

Anny tipps  smiley

Options
2023-11-29 06:58:10

Hi @MR.S 

MR.S wrote

@Clive_A 

I have tried many different things without success. this is what i have to work with. here is a copy of a corresponding file.

[Interface]
PrivateKey = iHi0jt+X6GqD1mn9pIYMgEzqUdu9yJEBPFVCJd9tFlY=
Address = 10.11.168.5/32
DNS = 10.11.168.1

[Peer]
PublicKey = NFWtPL+Ih+aim9YoAarsydKIbkERMdVHDjZ2FdiXDjs=
AllowedIPs = 10.11.168.1/32,10.11.168.5/32,0.0.0.0/0
Endpoint = xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx:51821

This file is generated by a UXG-Pro from unifi, I have also tried to connect to the Wireguard server on a raspberry Pi without success.

UXG-Pro connects with no problem to TP-Link routers but TP-Link is unable to connect to Unifi or raspberry pi server as Client.

Anny tipps  smiley

On the TP-Link routers, can you try to change the allowed IPs to 0.0.0.0./0 alone?

Quite strange. Have you tried to Wireshark and check if the ER even started the connection?

Best Regards! If you are new to the forum, please read: Howto - A Guide to Use Forum Effectively. Read Before You Post. Look for a model? Search your model NOW Official and Beta firmware. NEW features! Subscribe for the latest update!Download Beta Here☚ ☛ ★ Configuration Guide ★ ☚ ☛ ★ Knowledge Base ★ ☚ ☛ ★ Troubleshooting Manual ★ ☚ ● Be kind and nice. ● Stay on the topic. ● Post details. ● Search first. Don't be a lazy asker. ● Please don't take it for granted. ● No email confidentiality should be violated. ● S/N, MAC, and your true public IP should be mosaiced.
Options
2023-11-29 07:11:22

@Clive_A 

I'm not particularly good at this here, but to me it looks like the problem is that I can't change the public key on TP-Link in the wireguard section to match my wireguard config.

But correct me if I'm wrong..

Options
2023-11-29 08:21:24

Hi @MR.S 

MR.S wrote

@Clive_A 

I'm not particularly good at this here, but to me it looks like the problem is that I can't change the public key on TP-Link in the wireguard section to match my wireguard config.

But correct me if I'm wrong..

In WG, the public key cannot be changed. It is generated by the WG. If you don't want that key, generate a new one. The key will be static when it is generated.

I don't think it should be a problem with the public key. You should simply paste the key to the other peer settings and they should start the connection.

Options
2023-11-29 09:13:49 - last edited 2023-11-29 09:15:33

@Clive_A 

Nop, I'll probably have to give up on this one, I can't connect a TP-Link router as a wireguard client to a non-TP-Link wireguard server. it may be that I'm doing something wrong, so if anyone has managed to use the wireguard client on TP-Link against a non-TP-Link wireguard server, please let me know :-)

I am trying to connect to a Unifi UXG-Pro and a wireguard server that runs on ubuntu.

TP-Link to TP-Link work with no issue.

And Unifi UXG-Pro wireguard client to TP-Link wireguard server also work. 

Options
2023-12-02 14:36:43 - last edited 2023-12-02 15:46:06

Has anyone had success using TP-Link routers as Wireguard Client? I have spent a few hours on this now but have to give up.

I have now managed to connect wireguard site to site to the Unifi UXG-Pro, but the connection is made by the UXG-Pro to the ER8411. I am unable to connect the ER8411 as a client to the UXG-Pro.

Options
2023-12-04 02:38:53

Hi @MR.S 

MR.S wrote

Has anyone had success using TP-Link routers as Wireguard Client? I have spent a few hours on this now but have to give up.

I have now managed to connect wireguard site to site to the Unifi UXG-Pro, but the connection is made by the UXG-Pro to the ER8411. I am unable to connect the ER8411 as a client to the UXG-Pro.

In WG, the concept of client and server is diluted. There is literally no difference between two peers. It is just a matter of who starts the connection first.

Can you try to set only 0.0.0.0/0 instead of doing the duplicate 10.x.y.z in your previous post?

Options
2023-12-04 07:01:32

@Clive_A 

I finally succeeded in connecting a TP-Link router to a wireguard server. but it is not easy.
as I mentioned earlier, this would have been easier if I could change the Server Public Key on TP-Link. now I had to change the Server Publik Key on the Wireguard server to match the Public Key on the TP-Link router.

3 different places had to be changed on the wireguard server before I was able to connect the TP-Link router to the Wireguard server.

After the router connected I still didn't get any traffic until I entered 0.0.0.0/0 so that's what I'm struggling with now. I don't want all traffic via Wireguard just some networks.

As I see it, there are a number of missing fields in the configuration of TP-Link to be able to use the router as a Wireguard client.

here is an example from another brand that works without problems. 

Options
2023-12-06 17:04:23

@Clive_A 

Do you have any tips? I have connetction to the wireguard server but I don't get any traffic in the tunnel until I enter 0.0.0.0/0 but I don't want to route all traffic through the tunnel only some networks, I have only tested on an ER706W so I don't know if it is the same on ER8411 or ER707-M2

All tips are gratefully received smiley

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 912

Replies: 14

Related Articles