Votes

PPPoE - forced reconnect at given time

2023-12-03 09:33:44 - last edited 2023-12-04 02:26:10
Model: ER605 (TL-R605)  
Hardware Version: V2
Firmware Version: 2.2.0

In Germany, for data protection reasons, most providers perform a PPPoE reconnect after 24 hours so that you are assigned a different public IP and are therefore not completely trackable when surfing the Internet.

The 24 hours start to run after the PPPoE connection has been successfully negotiated. However, this means that after power failures or updates during which the router restarts, the daily reconnect always takes place at this time.
This is a problem if you work from home.

It would therefore be important to have the option of forcing the daily reconnect yourself. At a time that suits your personal needs.

I therefore suggest a new menu item within the WAN configuration.

"Scheduled reconnect".
In any case, it is necessary to select the time for the reconnect (hh:mm).
Weekdays could also be selectable, but that is optional for me.

Options
7 Reply
Re:PPPoE - forced reconnect at given time
2023-12-04 02:25:54 - last edited 2023-12-04 06:29:23

Hi @EmEi6 

Thanks for posting in our business forum.

Then use the controller and set up a schedule to reboot it at night. There is no schedule for re-dialing the Internet feature.

This issue is your ISP, not the router. This ISP behavior is unusual and arbitrary. It is not a conventional thing that the manufacturer would offer a fix to it.

If this feature is needed in your environment and you cannot live without it, I'd recommend you take a look at the home products we have.

Omada currently supports schedule reboot which is a fix and solution for you now and this request for a connection schedule might not be considered or if considered is on very low priority.

Best Regards! If you are new to the forum, please read: Howto - A Guide to Use Forum Effectively. Read Before You Post. Look for a model? Search your model NOW Beta firmware got some NEW features! Subscribe for the latest update!Download Beta Here☚ ☛ ★ Configuration Guide ★ ☚ ☛ ★ Knowledge Base ★ ☚ ☛ ★ Troubleshooting Manual ★ ☚ (Disclaimer: Short links are used above solely for guidance to TP-Link subdomains and are safe and tracker-free. Exercise caution with short links from non-official members on forums. We are not liable for external content or damage from non-official members' link use.)
Options
2023-12-04 11:35:59

Clive_A wrote

Hi @EmEi6 

Then use the controller and set up a schedule to reboot it at night. There is no schedule for re-dialing the Internet feature.

I hope you are not right. When the controller restarts, is the internet connection disconnected? And why is that? For what reason would someone in a corporate environment come up with the bad idea to implement such a "bug"? And you are seriously telling me that this is a business product?

Stability, availability and reliability are probably not what you are looking for in your business products. :D 

This issue is your ISP, not the router. This ISP behavior is unusual and arbitrary. It is not a conventional thing that the manufacturer would offer a fix to it.

Like I said, it's not a "problem", it's a feature to protect users. But I think it's more convenient for you to see it as a bug than to implement a feature on your side.

If this feature is needed in your environment and you cannot live without it, I'd recommend you take a look at the home products we have.

Omada currently supports schedule reboot which is a fix and solution for you now and this request for a connection schedule might not be considered or if considered is on very low priority.

So if business customers absolutely need a feature so they can work a full day without downtime, then do you recommend consumer products?

@Clive_A 

Have you had a bad day? Or are you always this unfriendly?

After this encounter, I definitely can't recommend my German customers to switch to Omada.

Thank you so much for your assistance in making a decision.

Options
2023-12-05 02:23:24

Hi @EmEi6 

EmEi6 wrote

Clive_A wrote

Hi @EmEi6 

I hope you are not right. When the controller restarts, is the internet connection disconnected? And why is that? For what reason would someone in a corporate environment come up with the bad idea to implement such a "bug"? And you are seriously telling me that this is a business product?

Stability, availability and reliability are probably not what you are looking for in your business products. :D

From the standpoint of the product, the controller has the ability to schedule a reboot of the router. This is what I said and I used the pronoun "it" to stand for the "router". So if you want to change this disconnection to the nighttime while nobody's using the Internet, you can do it now. This is what I said. But you did not catch it as far as I can tell. It's the workaround now when you don't have this feature available yet.

EmEi6 wrote

Clive_A wrote

Like I said, it's not a "problem", it's a feature to protect users. But I think it's more convenient for you to see it as a bug than to implement a feature on your side.

Dynamic IP is not a good idea for the business environment though I know in your opinion it is protection. Yes, dynamic IP can be fixed by DDNS but it is not a good point here.

And my opinion on this is no, it is not a bug on our side. Most users I know on this site or on other forums I visited for network-related topics would seek a rather static IP address to better perform their services. I know dynamic IP would help mask your real identity because it is used by multiple users.

This does not seem to be a good reason to stand your opinion. I am open to your other reasons. Would be more convincing if you know any business brands supporting this.

(Main reason that our home products support this is like your scenario. They have this dyn IP situation.)

Adding this would require an NTP server field to sync the time(already got), an extra timer(for WAN countdown), and a shell-like script to run the reconnection. 

EmEi6 wrote

So if business customers absolutely need a feature so they can work a full day without downtime, then do you recommend consumer products?

What is your environment? For home or business?

It depends on what kind of customers they are. We don't directly take care of the partner feature requests. For all the customers who have like than 50 same-model units, we would refer them to our local company to contact their special agent.

And I would like to point out that for business customers, most would have a static IP address like I said above.

Even if they have the same situation as yours which is your point here, it is not possible to have zero downtime if the ISP is arbitrarily refreshing your IP address. ISP forces so, the only thing we can do is to avoid that in the middle of the night. Or have a load balancing.

EmEi6 wrote

@Clive_A 

Have you had a bad day? Or are you always this unfriendly?

After this encounter, I definitely can't recommend my German customers to switch to Omada.

Thank you so much for your assistance in making a decision.

I am iterating the points and explaining the reason why. I am a straightforward person and analyze things for people on facts. Facts might hurt but it is the way it is.

I have pointed out the workaround for now. I am aware that this is an issue with ISP because I know not only in my country but in some others, this happens likewise. This does not last long to refresh the IP and would have basically zero effect on my life, lucky me because it only happens during the night. ISP preset the timer. I cannot decide that but take that. Same PPPoE and refresh the IP.

If you can point out a competitor product that can do a reconnection on WAN regardless of the Connection Types, I would love to get feedback based on your point.

I searched it and I found out that UBNT does not support so. Mikrotik supports a script system which we don't support script settings. They have workarounds as well which is not perfect either. Aruba does not seem to be available in Europe. Meraki does not seem to have this either.

Best Regards! If you are new to the forum, please read: Howto - A Guide to Use Forum Effectively. Read Before You Post. Look for a model? Search your model NOW Beta firmware got some NEW features! Subscribe for the latest update!Download Beta Here☚ ☛ ★ Configuration Guide ★ ☚ ☛ ★ Knowledge Base ★ ☚ ☛ ★ Troubleshooting Manual ★ ☚ (Disclaimer: Short links are used above solely for guidance to TP-Link subdomains and are safe and tracker-free. Exercise caution with short links from non-official members on forums. We are not liable for external content or damage from non-official members' link use.)
Options
2024-03-27 08:24:13

I'd like to second the request for a scheduled reconnect.

As stated, regular enforced reconnect for all kinds of private connections are the default in Germany.

I understand that omada is primarily marketed as a business solution, and omada users are thus expected to have business uplinks. It might be good marketing though to allow enthusiasts use (and possibly evaluate!) omada at home as well, and not annoy them because a pretty simple feature is missing. (Note that NTP is in place, as are schedules)

I acknowledge that rebooting the router is a workaround. Note, though, that it is only the reboot that actually enforces an actual downtime. A properly implemented reconnect would allow the temporary use of a different uplink (e.g. via an LTE connection) while the reconnect is in progress.

So: please consider this feature request. It should a pretty simple thing. Nobody expects this to become the top priority ;-)

Options
a week ago

I also support this request to have possibility of reset just WAN connection. Majority of ISPs in Europe reset connections periodically for PPP protocol so it is not only Germany. Also it is not true that other manufacturers do not allow this. Ubiquiti let you schedule cron jobs so you can schedule reset of WAN for example with 'ip link set' command. OpenWRT does the same with cron jobs. Mikrotik allows with scheduler so no reason why Omada cannot allow it. Please be flexible and for example allow scripting as this is one of the biggest things missing in your products next to the firewall (or stateful swicth ACLs).

Options
a week ago - last edited a week ago

Hi @Harvy 

Harvy wrote

I also support this request to have possibility of reset just WAN connection. Majority of ISPs in Europe reset connections periodically for PPP protocol so it is not only Germany. Also it is not true that other manufacturers do not allow this. Ubiquiti let you schedule cron jobs so you can schedule reset of WAN for example with 'ip link set' command. OpenWRT does the same with cron jobs. Mikrotik allows with scheduler so no reason why Omada cannot allow it. Please be flexible and for example allow scripting as this is one of the biggest things missing in your products next to the firewall (or stateful swicth ACLs).

OK. Thanks for your input on how other vendors do. Can you list what function name they call on their system? Any docs from them? That would be very convincing for me to verify the fact first and then show this to the PM and push them to consider if this is necessary while other vendors do this. They will take a second thought on this.

As you have listed UBNT and Mikrotik. Please do not compare the OpenWRT or any opensource system. Dev's not gonna look at this at all. These are not our main competitors.

I am also aware that most of these models support CLI and allow you to use a script. But, first, that's not us. We don't support script yet and I don't think this might be possible in the short time.

Second, about why it does not reconnect, I might have explained this somewhere. Let me try again. The current system is sending the DHCP renew to renew the IP address. If the server does not accept that but requires the DHCP request, that only gives you the way to reconnect by clicking the "reconnect" button.

When a connection is established(DHCP), the client sends the renewal instead of the request. Please understand how the DHCP works.

Let me be clear, this does not seem to common on our forum. I am aware that there are some posts about this but this does not compose a large quantity. Listing them does not make a wave. Our products are also hot in the EU. Not so much feedback from the local company as well and this is why this was never considered before and was not considered as effective feedback and marked as Rejected.

Stateful ACL has been supported long long time ago.

Options
a week ago

[General point]

I'm seriously concerned that a feature request might be rejected because no "main competitor" is doing it, and anything open-source is not considered a competitor. I don't think I even have to explain why this attitude is bad for the product. We also realize that this only concerns users on a non-business uplink, but see my previous post on why this should be implemented anyway.

[Specific questions]

I'm not sure what CLI access or the DHCP details have to do with anything. We don't want CLI access, and this is not a DHCP issue. The ISP shuts down the PPPoE connection on a regular basis.

As for other systems supporting it:

The super popular Fritz!Box from AVM does, Zyxel Modems have no specific feature for this, but a well-known one-line solution, UniFi does not support it and a bunch of people a complaining about it. (I would have included links, but your forum disallows links...)

Options

Information

Helpful: 3

Views: 295

Replies: 7

Voters 3