Startup and reboot times on ER7212PC painfully slow

2023-12-04 12:52:33 - last edited 2023-12-08 01:24:40
Model: ER7212PC  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: 1.1.1 Build 20230901

Hi all

I've been installing some ER7212PC for several museum experiences with VR installations, and it works reasonabily well.

The problem is that in most of those installations, they turn off the power to the router every night at the end of the exhibition times, and when they have to turn it on the following morning, they have to wait at least 10 minutes in order for the router to fully start.

It's event taking more time to connect and show up in the Omada cloud panel. This is a problem whenever there is any issue, and they restart the unit. It's also when configuring and rebooting, spending a lot of support billing time just waiting for the unit to start.

The concept of a 3-in-1 integrated router and controller is awesome, but if it means boot times are so high, I wonder if it wouldn't be better to set everything up with a ER707 and an OC200 instead.

I guess I'm not aware of everything that is happening internally to have those loooong boot times, but I think it should be an absolute priority from TP-Link to invest some time into this issue and making sure that the unit boots as fast as possible. I'm sure there is some blocking process in there that does not finish until there is some timeout.

Thanks!

Options
1 Accepted Solution
Re:Startup and reboot times on ER7212PC painfully slow-Solution
2023-12-05 02:41:48 - last edited 2023-12-08 01:24:40

Hi @digitalFounders 

Thanks for posting in our business forum.

This is expected to be normal. We are aware of this and have optimized it. This year we added many features than the previous year.

This is a 3-in-1 product. It contains the router and controller functions. It needs to launch the router and controller and if you have more settings, this will take longer to relaunch them. And this product is very limited for carrying and controlling other Omada devices.

If possible, and you seek great performance and boot-up speed, might use Router+SDNC(or OC200)+SW. It would be way faster than the ER7212PC reboot.

Note that for every single rule/entry you created, when you reboot it, these rules and entries will be read by the system and then the system will launch them and make sure they are established again.

Same things happen to other models as well when their entries reach a certain amount of level. If you look it up on the forum, it's been explained and answered before.

Best Regards! If you are new to the forum, please read: Howto - A Guide to Use Forum Effectively. Read Before You Post. Look for a model? Search your model NOW Beta firmware got some NEW features! Subscribe for the latest update!Download Beta Here☚ ☛ ★ Configuration Guide ★ ☚ ☛ ★ Knowledge Base ★ ☚ ☛ ★ Troubleshooting Manual ★ ☚ (Disclaimer: Short links are used above solely for guidance to TP-Link subdomains and are safe and tracker-free. Exercise caution with short links from non-official members on forums. We are not liable for external content or damage from non-official members' link use.)
Recommended Solution
Options
3 Reply
Re:Startup and reboot times on ER7212PC painfully slow-Solution
2023-12-05 02:41:48 - last edited 2023-12-08 01:24:40

Hi @digitalFounders 

This is expected to be normal. We are aware of this and have optimized it. This year we added many features than the previous year.

This is a 3-in-1 product. It contains the router and controller functions. It needs to launch the router and controller and if you have more settings, this will take longer to relaunch them. And this product is very limited for carrying and controlling other Omada devices.

If possible, and you seek great performance and boot-up speed, might use Router+SDNC(or OC200)+SW. It would be way faster than the ER7212PC reboot.

Note that for every single rule/entry you created, when you reboot it, these rules and entries will be read by the system and then the system will launch them and make sure they are established again.

Same things happen to other models as well when their entries reach a certain amount of level. If you look it up on the forum, it's been explained and answered before.

Best Regards! If you are new to the forum, please read: Howto - A Guide to Use Forum Effectively. Read Before You Post. Look for a model? Search your model NOW Beta firmware got some NEW features! Subscribe for the latest update!Download Beta Here☚ ☛ ★ Configuration Guide ★ ☚ ☛ ★ Knowledge Base ★ ☚ ☛ ★ Troubleshooting Manual ★ ☚ (Disclaimer: Short links are used above solely for guidance to TP-Link subdomains and are safe and tracker-free. Exercise caution with short links from non-official members on forums. We are not liable for external content or damage from non-official members' link use.)
Recommended Solution
Options
Re:Startup and reboot times on ER7212PC painfully slow
2023-12-11 21:46:36

@Clive_A 

Hi,

That may be true but the loading time is way too long.

If you have additional POE devices behind the 7212 the entire process takes up to 30 minutes....
I was one of the first to buy the 7212 when it didn't even had pvid... it couldn't be used.

2 weeks ago I tried to get it started in my configuration with a er605.... tonight I stopped and will scrap the 7212: what a bogus machine it is.

The development team has been lazy, the features don't keep up... I'm disappointed!

Options
Re:Startup and reboot times on ER7212PC painfully slow
2023-12-13 01:48:26

Hi @F-BOS 

F-BOS wrote

@Clive_A 

Hi,

That may be true but the loading time is way too long.

If you have additional POE devices behind the 7212 the entire process takes up to 30 minutes....
I was one of the first to buy the 7212 when it didn't even had pvid... it couldn't be used.

2 weeks ago I tried to get it started in my configuration with a er605.... tonight I stopped and will scrap the 7212: what a bogus machine it is.

The development team has been lazy, the features don't keep up... I'm disappointed!

Let me explain this again. First, regardless of the hardware specs, if you have more parameters/settings, it will load the bootup longer. This symptom happens to the ER605 in standalone as well.

Not to mention ER7212PC integrates the Controller as well. As a Linux-kernel-based machine and both NAT and controller share the same CPU and memory, it does not match the ER605+OC200 or SDNC setup.

I do hope the team can consider making it more powerful with better CPU choices to address this. Hope the next-gen with a better chipset.

BTW, the 30-minute bootup, is it something you measured with a stopwatch? Or a fuzzy guess/recall?

Options

Information

Helpful: 1

Views: 317

Replies: 3

Related Articles