Throughput issue on 2.4Ghz SSID

2023-12-07 22:18:05
Hardware Version: V3
Firmware Version: 5.1.1

I added a Zyxel 5G mobile BB router to my TP-link setup, which has 15 APs, in a mixture of EAP225 / wall / outdoor. Testing from the Zyxel to the internet was seeing 150Mbps - 200Mbps, so really pleased. Connected to the wi-fi, and throughput was down to 10 - 12Mbps. After much investigation, I found that connecting directly to the LAN switch (T1600G-28PS) and connecting via the 5Ghz SSID, around 200Mbps speedtest results, so there is an issue on the 2.4Ghz channels.

The AP I was connecting to was immediately above me, and the cable from the AP to the switch was about 2m. I went to a completly different location, in case there was some RF interferance, and still the same result. Channel numbers are used so there is no overlap with the same channel, and it is a domestic setting (although with 15 APs, it is a BIG house!)

Everything is up at the latest firmware revisions, so wondering if anyone is seeing 2.4Ghz issues on recent firmware, or has any ideas... 

Options
6 Reply
Re:Throughput issue on 2.4Ghz SSID
2023-12-08 06:54:37

@Fozzie 

I don't have issue on my EAP225 5.1.1 new firmware, are you sure this issue is caused by the new firmware? Have you connected to the router 2.4G and test the speed?

Suggest testing the speed with the iperf, take a look: How to use iPerf to test the speed between the EAP and the wireless client

Maybe downgrade one EAP firmware back to original one to verify if it is a firmware bug.

Just striving to develop myself while helping others.
Options
2023-12-08 17:01:07

@Virgo I am not at all convinced it is a firmware revision issue - if it was, there woud be a lot of people complaining. I was just reaching out to see if anyone had any other thoughts on what might be going on. There are seperate SSID's for 2.4 and 5Ghz, so it is easy to connect to the 5Ghz.

I first noticed an issue immediately after installing the 5G external router - I was stood on the roof, tested direct from the Zyxel external router that has a 2.4Ghz wi-fi only for testing via their app, and saw 120Mbps, then connected to the wi-fi, and was getting just 10Mbps. From indoors, in touching distance of the AP, still the same - even worse on some attempts - switching to 5Ghz or using an ethernet cable and 120Mbps and above.

Options
2023-12-15 21:55:11

@Fozzie 

Hi,

with an EAP225 V3 (5.1.1) @20MHz I get ~27MBit download (Android 1x1 client).

Switching to 40MHz shows ~78MBit.

Win 11 notebook with intel AX160 (2x2) wifi switched to 2.4GHz: ~115MBit.

Used speedtest site: wieistmeineip. de

What type of client are you using for testing wifi speed?

Options
2023-12-17 18:13:46

@Fozzie 

So many possible reasons....

-nearby other users using same channels for their APs

-capabilities of your test client radio

-other 2.4Ghz non-licensed devices in operation (ie bluetooth) nearby

-if you use more than 20Mhz channel (ie single channel, you cannot use the adjacent...ie 40Mhz on Ch1, means Ch6 is now offlimits

30Mbps is pretty good for a single 20Mhz channel at 2.4Ghz...more than enough to stream a 4K video.  I can't think of many more bandwidth intensive applications than that.  If you are copying huge files back and forth, then a 5.8G or a wired connection is a better idea.

Honestly, and especially in the 2.4G band, maximizing speed is just maximizing trouble, unless you are on your own out in the woods, off grid.  What you want is to maximize would we used to call 'goodput', ie usable throughput and that's often better at lower max speeds because you are applying more power per bit and are less susceptible to interference.

<< Paying it forward, one juicy problem at a time... >>
Options
2023-12-17 18:41:58

@d0ugmac1 I think the reference to 30Mbps was from @diddi, rather than me - I was only seeing 10Mbps on the 2.4Ghz channels.

- The AP's all have their channels set, so as not to interfere with an adjacent AP.

- the test client radio saw 120Mbps when connected to the Zyxel 2.4Ghz maintenance wi-fi, so should have seen similar on the TP Link APs

- I did wonder about interference / BT / uwave / etc, but there was only me and one other at the property.

- As , said, I only got 10Mbps - the ref to 30Mbps was someone else. The reason for going 5G and new pole-mounted router, was because at 4G, they were getting 30Mbps or so over the 4G radio, to the 5Ghz and hardwired devices (I didn't test the 2.4Ghz TP before a swapped the 4G router for a 5G one, which is a pity!). An XBOX decided to do an update of Call Of Duty in the middle of the afternoon, and it ran flat out, at 30Mbps for hours - stopping anyone else doing anything - that was the catalyst for going down the 5G route (and near 200Mbps download!)

- funny you should say "unless you are out in the woods, off grid" that pretty much describes this location: it is a lovely property with around 10 bedrooms and out buildings, set on the banks of the River Orwell, a long way from any other properties that could possibly interfere with their wi-fi!

They are using the 5Ghz channels fine (see below) - It was just the odd behaviour at 2.4Ghz seeing no more than 10Mbps that does not make any sense, and I'm interested to work out why...

Options
2023-12-17 18:43:32

@Fozzie Tried to paste a graph showing nearly 100Mbps of WI-Fi throughput over the Tp- links yesterday! smiley

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 320

Replies: 6

Related Articles