AP configuration with the OMADA controler

2023-12-08 09:00:14 - last edited 2023-12-15 07:01:06
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version: 5.12.7

Hi everyone.

I do have a question and I belong you'll be able to help me. But first, I wanna apologyse for my english, I'm french, so sorry for the mistakes

So, I do work for a company and I'm working on the OMADA software controler. The goal I have to reach is to be able to manage all the APs of the company on the OMADA controller.

Right now, I'm working on a local area with only, the controler installed on a computer with a Windows Server, 1 EAP 225-Outdoor, a HP switch and a computer to manage the switch.

My computer, the AP and the controler are in the same network, plugged on 3 untagged ports and their gateway is the adress of a VLAN from the HP switch. So nothing looking wrong on this part.

But, we all know that if I'm here, I have a problem.

So, my devices are in the same network, everyone can ping everyone, etc

But, I want my AP to share a different network from the one it's connected on. Here is an example, my AP has an IP address looking like 10.50.100.0 / 24 -- I want it to share an IP address from the 192.168.10.0 / 24 network.

I created a network on my controler in Settings --> LAN named Broadcast (it is the network I want to share) with the VLAN 10 and a WiFi SSID (with the same name than my LAN) linked to the VLAN 10 to. This SSID is share by my AP but I don't get an IP address from it. At this point, the AP doesn't share anything but an APIPA address (169.254.0.0 / 16).

Question :

- Does my controler need a different IP address that the one of the computer or this it takes the same to work ?

- Is the controler able to act like a DHCP server (it seems obvious to me that the configuration I did is here for this but maybe I'm wrong) or do I need a router (which I don't have rn) to be the DHCP server ?

- Can I use my HP switch for the solution or do I MUST have TP-Link switches and routers ?

- Do I have to tag anything on my switch ?

I think that is all I need rn, I hope someone, will understand my situation and be able to help me with it.

I wish you all a good day.

Thanks

Options
1 Accepted Solution
Re:AP configuration with the OMADA controler-Solution
2023-12-11 03:14:25 - last edited 2023-12-15 07:01:06

Hi @Nezdia 

Thanks for posting in our business forum.

Nezdia wrote

But, I want my AP to share a different network from the one it's connected on. Here is an example, my AP has an IP address looking like 10.50.100.0 / 24 -- I want it to share an IP address from the 192.168.10.0 / 24 network.

Do you mean that you wanna set up the VLAN and would like to let the AP to share the WIFI 192.168.10.0/24?

If your answer is yes, then you should use the following functions.

1. VLAN interfaces (contains the Multi-NAT)

2. VLAN tag/untag and PVID.

3. SSID VLAN.

Nezdia wrote

Question :

- Does my controler need a different IP address that the one of the computer or this it takes the same to work ?

- Is the controler able to act like a DHCP server (it seems obvious to me that the configuration I did is here for this but maybe I'm wrong) or do I need a router (which I don't have rn) to be the DHCP server ?

- Can I use my HP switch for the solution or do I MUST have TP-Link switches and routers ?

1. You don't have to own a different IP.

2. Controller is not the DHCP server. It does not do anything but control the Omada devices.

3. Even if your HP switch can do VLAN and DHCP servers, you cannot access the Internet. Read this and understand this. How to build up a multi-nets network via Multi-Nets NAT feature on TP-Link router with L2+/L3 switches

You should get an Omada router for VLAN interfaces and Multi-NAT. Or your router supports them. Then you don't need to buy one. Switch supports 802.1Q VLAN.

4. Yes. You should tag the VLAN X(192.168.10.0/24) to the port where you connect the EAP. On the EAP, set the SSID VLAN ID X.

How to configure Multi-Networks & Multi-SSIDs on Omada SDN Controller

Best Regards! If you are new to the forum, please read: Howto - A Guide to Use Forum Effectively. Read Before You Post. Look for a model? Search your model NOW Beta firmware got some NEW features! Subscribe for the latest update!Download Beta Here☚ ☛ ★ Configuration Guide ★ ☚ ☛ ★ Knowledge Base ★ ☚ ☛ ★ Troubleshooting Manual ★ ☚ (Disclaimer: Short links are used above solely for guidance to TP-Link subdomains and are safe and tracker-free. Exercise caution with short links from non-official members on forums. We are not liable for external content or damage from non-official members' link use.)
Recommended Solution
Options
5 Reply
Re:AP configuration with the OMADA controler-Solution
2023-12-11 03:14:25 - last edited 2023-12-15 07:01:06

Hi @Nezdia 

Nezdia wrote

Do you mean that you wanna set up the VLAN and would like to let the AP to share the WIFI 192.168.10.0/24?

If your answer is yes, then you should use the following functions.

1. VLAN interfaces (contains the Multi-NAT)

2. VLAN tag/untag and PVID.

3. SSID VLAN.

Nezdia wrote

Question :

1. You don't have to own a different IP.

2. Controller is not the DHCP server. It does not do anything but control the Omada devices.

3. Even if your HP switch can do VLAN and DHCP servers, you cannot access the Internet. Read this and understand this. How to build up a multi-nets network via Multi-Nets NAT feature on TP-Link router with L2+/L3 switches

You should get an Omada router for VLAN interfaces and Multi-NAT. Or your router supports them. Then you don't need to buy one. Switch supports 802.1Q VLAN.

4. Yes. You should tag the VLAN X(192.168.10.0/24) to the port where you connect the EAP. On the EAP, set the SSID VLAN ID X.

How to configure Multi-Networks & Multi-SSIDs on Omada SDN Controller

Best Regards! If you are new to the forum, please read: Howto - A Guide to Use Forum Effectively. Read Before You Post. Look for a model? Search your model NOW Beta firmware got some NEW features! Subscribe for the latest update!Download Beta Here☚ ☛ ★ Configuration Guide ★ ☚ ☛ ★ Knowledge Base ★ ☚ ☛ ★ Troubleshooting Manual ★ ☚ (Disclaimer: Short links are used above solely for guidance to TP-Link subdomains and are safe and tracker-free. Exercise caution with short links from non-official members on forums. We are not liable for external content or damage from non-official members' link use.)
Recommended Solution
Options
Re:AP configuration with the OMADA controler
2024-01-03 08:49:40

@Clive_A 

I'm sorry for my late answer I wasn't working until now.

I'd like to thank you for the answer first, it's gonna help me obviously but I still have a question.

You told me that the OMADA controller isn't able to act like a DHCP server but I'd like to understand what is the part on the picture useful for ?

I thought that this was the part where I could create my networks (it seems like it to me).

Thanks

File:
Picture.jpgDownload
Options
2024-01-03 09:22:27

Hi @Nezdia 

Nezdia wrote

@Clive_A 

I'm sorry for my late answer I wasn't working until now.

I'd like to thank you for the answer first, it's gonna help me obviously but I still have a question.

You told me that the OMADA controller isn't able to act like a DHCP server but I'd like to understand what is the part on the picture useful for ?

I thought that this was the part where I could create my networks (it seems like it to me).

Thanks

Then have you found out where that feature is? Under Wired > LAN. It belongs to the part of the router. The whole system you see is the shell of the controller, the web UI, everything is hosted by the controller while the controller does not play a DHCP server in this game.

Options
2024-01-03 09:34:13

@Clive_A 

Ok thank you.

Last question, just to be sure, I don't need to have a HARDWARE controller right? I can do it all with the SOFTWARE controller ?

Options
2024-01-03 09:49:53

Hi @Nezdia 

Nezdia wrote

@Clive_A 

Ok thank you.

Last question, just to be sure, I don't need to have a HARDWARE controller right? I can do it all with the SOFTWARE controller ?

Yes. Same Omada system for either software or hardware.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 290

Replies: 5

Related Articles