Unknown device joining wireless network

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2023-12-09 17:45:41
Model: OC200  
Hardware Version: V3
Firmware Version: v5.12.9

I need to know if/when an unknown device attaches (or attempts to attach) to my (wireless) network.

I have gone through the various multitude of alerts available and may be missing it.

My alternative would be to put all of my known MAC address in an 'allow list'.

If I turn on 'Allow List', will it automatically add the known MAC addresses? (I see this feature on most systems)

Thanks for you answer!

Options
2 Reply
Re:Unknown device joining wireless network
2023-12-11 05:50:02 - last edited 2023-12-11 05:50:14

Hi @Coinserv 

Thanks for posting in our business forum.

This is counter-intuitive. How would the controller know this device is known? You manually add it.

Or even if you script it, you should have a list of parameters to determine if a device is known.

The Omada Controller does not have AI. Why would it automatically add known MAC?

There is a generic system to notify you if a client is connected or not. It cannot do filtered notifications.

Best Regards! If you are new to the forum, please read: Howto - A Guide to Use Forum Effectively. Read Before You Post. Look for a model? Search your model NOW Official and Beta firmware. NEW features! Subscribe for the latest update!Download Beta Here☚ ☛ ★ Configuration Guide ★ ☚ ☛ ★ Knowledge Base ★ ☚ ☛ ★ Troubleshooting Manual ★ ☚ (Disclaimer: Short links are used above solely for guidance to TP-Link subdomains and are safe and tracker-free. Exercise caution with short links from non-official members on forums. We are not liable for external content or damage from non-official members' link use.)
Options
Re:Unknown device joining wireless network
2023-12-12 01:46:36

The controller seems to know what devices (hosts or clients) are attached to it. There is a tab that shows 'clients' and their Mac address, IP address and such. Perhaps what you are saying is that when they disconnect, the controller 'forgets' them.

I think I want to set up an 'Allowlist'. My question is whether the system will automatically add the clients it currentluy knows, or if I will have to key them all in.

-Coinserv

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 214

Replies: 2

Related Articles