Help understanding basic routing features with ER605

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2023-12-11 12:07:29
Model: ER605 (TL-R605)  
Hardware Version: V2
Firmware Version:

Hello,

looks like I'm misunderstanding some basic routing features.

I want to replace my old Firewall Router with a new router.

What I want to achieve is that all traffic from the WAN will be directed (routed) to the LAN.

I have setup the router with WAN IP and LAN IP,

nothing else yet.

I can connect from a client behind the LAN interface to the Internet (WAN) without a problem.

Traffic from the WAN seems not to be routed to the LAN interface.

At least nothing seems to hit the client in LAN (i.E. SMTP/Port 25, or HTTP/HTTPS/Port 80/443)

Am I misunderstanding the features of the ER605? Can WAN traffic be routed only if it comes thru a VPN?

Or do I have to setup any other settings in the router i.E. NAT/Routing/etc?

Thank you

Richard

Options
2 Reply
Re:Help understanding basic routing features with ER605
2023-12-12 01:43:10

Hi @RichardCl 

Thanks for posting in our business forum.

Your issue is to understand "NAT". So, google it and understand how it works. It is the foundation for understanding anything else you've described.

When you know about the NAT, then you should know you need to use Port Forwarding in this situation.

Best Regards! If you are new to the forum, please read: Howto - A Guide to Use Forum Effectively. Read Before You Post. Look for a model? Search your model NOW Official and Beta firmware. NEW features! Subscribe for the latest update!Download Beta Here☚ ☛ ★ Configuration Guide ★ ☚ ☛ ★ Knowledge Base ★ ☚ ☛ ★ Troubleshooting Manual ★ ☚ ● Be kind and nice. ● Stay on the topic. ● Post details. ● Search first. Don't be a lazy asker. ● Please don't take it for granted. ● No email confidentiality should be violated. ● S/N, MAC, and your true public IP should be mosaiced.
Options
Re:Help understanding basic routing features with ER605
2023-12-12 14:42:03

@RichardCl 

Hello TP-Link Community Team,

thank you for pointing me the right way.

I got it to work

But, unfortunattly, the reason why I wanted to test/use the router is a problem, which I have with my existing firewall.

The problem is that the firewall drops all traffic coming in the WAN interface with a source IP which is my Gateway IP.

The ER605 does the same so I guess that both, firewall and ER605 act as they should and it's not possible to connect with the gateway-IP.

My IP knowledge is not good enough to understand why and if it could be handled by special settings.

So I guess I will stop testing with the ER605.

Thanks anyway.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 429

Replies: 2

Related Articles