Is it possible to factory reset or adopt an EAP via SSH?

2023-12-13 20:12:32 - last edited 2023-12-25 09:41:13

I have a number of sites managed by an L3 Omada Controller. Following an upgrade elsewhere a seemingly random portion of the switches and EAPs somehow lost their connection to the controller, though others are fine. SSH was enabled, and I'm able to ssh into all of them, including the ones disconnected, so there is nothing wrong with the network itself. After that though I hit a dead end, I can't execute anything since it won't give root privs, and anyway I can't see any promising commands either from help or /bin|/sbin|/usr/bin|/usr/sbin etc. I was able to reset a switch via Web GUI and then it readopted (though it lost all settings), but I can't pull up anything on the EAPs even though I can SSH into them.

Short of driving a few hundred miles and then wandering about a mile with a ladder to hit physical reset buttons, is there any sort of recovery capability in Omada devices when you do have remote access to all of them but a handful have lost their controller connection somehow? Thanks so much for any suggestions or pointers if I've missed something obvious.

Options
1 Accepted Solution
Re:Is it possible to factory reset or adopt an EAP via SSH?-Solution
2023-12-13 20:43:06 - last edited 2023-12-25 09:41:13

d0ugmac1 wrote

@sonaric 

Do the devices access the controller over the internet or via a VPN tunnel?

Is it possible there was a DDNS or IP change related to the controller which hasn't propagated out to the remote devices?

@d0ugmac1 

I actually just came back to say I did figure out a solution in this case, some did indeed end up pointing at an incorrect IP address for the controller. Once I noticed that in the firewall logs I set up temporary NAT forwarding+outbound interface translation from the IPs they were trying to reach to the controller IP, and that did it. They then showed back up, where I could blow them away and readopt, then get rid of the temp NAT.

That said I'd still be curious to know if there was an SSH method, as under UniFi it's a very useful and fast final remote fallback. SSHing in followed by a quick "set-inform" or factory reset is quicker if somebody (including me!) makes a mistake. Doesn't have to be capable of anything more than that, but stuff happens.

Recommended Solution
Options
2 Reply
Re:Is it possible to factory reset or adopt an EAP via SSH?
2023-12-13 20:25:13

@sonaric 

Is it possible there was a DDNS or IP change related to the controller which hasn't propagated out to the remote devices?

<< Paying it forward, one juicy problem at a time... >>
Options
Re:Is it possible to factory reset or adopt an EAP via SSH?-Solution
2023-12-13 20:43:06 - last edited 2023-12-25 09:41:13

d0ugmac1 wrote

@sonaric 

@d0ugmac1 

I actually just came back to say I did figure out a solution in this case, some did indeed end up pointing at an incorrect IP address for the controller. Once I noticed that in the firewall logs I set up temporary NAT forwarding+outbound interface translation from the IPs they were trying to reach to the controller IP, and that did it. They then showed back up, where I could blow them away and readopt, then get rid of the temp NAT.

That said I'd still be curious to know if there was an SSH method, as under UniFi it's a very useful and fast final remote fallback. SSHing in followed by a quick "set-inform" or factory reset is quicker if somebody (including me!) makes a mistake. Doesn't have to be capable of anything more than that, but stuff happens.

Recommended Solution
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 241

Replies: 2

Related Articles