repeater mode for printer

2023-12-14 13:42:37 - last edited 2023-12-14 16:56:24
Model: EAP615-Wall  
Hardware Version: V8
Firmware Version: newest

Hello!

I need to supply a printer at one point. I have used an EAP 650 for this and operated it in repeater mode. Unfortunately, the LAN port cannot be used for the printer. Then I took a 610 wall, as I thought that the LAN port could be used and the 610 wall could be set to repeater mode. The 610 wall does not seem to be able to operate in repeater mode.

My question now is whether there is a device in the Omada circle that can handle repeater mode and the LAN port could be used for a printer?

If not - perhaps there is also a TP-Link consumer device that can simply be integrated to supply the printer and switch off the WLan or a power LAN adapter?

Thank you really much!

Frank

Options
1 Accepted Solution
Re:repeater mode for printer-Solution
2023-12-14 15:35:20 - last edited 2023-12-14 16:56:24

@Liftboy 

If you configure the wired 650 as the root, and factory default the other 650 and power it up using JUST the POE injector, then you should be able to adopt it as a meshed unit via the controller. Once the second 650-ceiling is meshed, you can then connect the LAN port of the injector to the printer.  The printer will then appear as if it is on the same switch port as the wired 650 (ie bridged) and I believe untagged.  The outdoor unit will also mesh and support the printer if that make more sense for your design.

So you have what you need to do it from TPlink.

<< Paying it forward, one juicy problem at a time... >>
Recommended Solution
Options
9 Reply
Re:repeater mode for printer
2023-12-14 14:23:27

@Liftboy 

I think you're looking in the wrong direction here...

Amazon sells a ton of wireless print servers.  You may need to plug it up by USB to the printer server.  Then the printer server connects wirelessly. 

You may want to look into that 1st then a "repeater" mode, which doesn't really exist for the application you want to use it for.  

I can not teach anyone anything - I can only make them think - Socrates
Options
2023-12-14 14:28:59

@Liftboy 

If a pair of 650-ceiling APs were meshed together, instead of trying to use it as a repeater...ie one wired to switch the other wired to printer, this would work, but requires possibly a second 650 AND an Omada controller such as the OC200.  Wall APs are not able to mesh (sigh...long time beef of mine).

A simpler solution might be to just pick up a Wifi-ethernet bridge device, often called a 'gaming adapter'.  There are even Wifi-ethernet print servers.  A quick search on Amazon should show you a bunch of $50 options.

Options
2023-12-14 15:12:01 - last edited 2023-12-14 15:20:05

A nice idea with the WLan print server ;)

I use an oc200 and ER707-M2 here. I have integrated 2 x 650 as an AP via LAN and have a 650 running as a WLan repeater. I also have a 610 wall and a 610 outdoor.

The LAN port of the 650 cannot be used :( I then ordered the 610wall with all its LAN ports and it cannot work in repeater mode - pfff

This has been the first contact for me with Omada stuff.

Then I'll see what else I have here or order something. It's a pity that there's nothing suitable in the Omada environment.

I would take a simple hardware for a cam an a printer, like

https://www.amazon.de/Vonets-VAP11N-300-LAN-Adapter-Netzwerkger%C3%A4te-WLAN-Verbindung/dp/B097DKCBWF/ref=sr_1_9?__mk_de_DE=%C3%85M%C3%85%C5%BD%C3%95%C3%91&crid=1JX852G33PRDX&keywords=Wlan%2BDruckserver&qid=1702565298&sprefix=wlan%2Bdruckserver%2Caps%2C79&sr=8-9&th=1

Thank you very much for your help!

Frank

Options
Re:repeater mode for printer-Solution
2023-12-14 15:35:20 - last edited 2023-12-14 16:56:24

@Liftboy 

If you configure the wired 650 as the root, and factory default the other 650 and power it up using JUST the POE injector, then you should be able to adopt it as a meshed unit via the controller. Once the second 650-ceiling is meshed, you can then connect the LAN port of the injector to the printer.  The printer will then appear as if it is on the same switch port as the wired 650 (ie bridged) and I believe untagged.  The outdoor unit will also mesh and support the printer if that make more sense for your design.

So you have what you need to do it from TPlink.

Recommended Solution
Options
2023-12-14 15:59:14

@d0ugmac1 

Mhhhh, I already had this configured. Two 650s connected via LAN and the third as a repeater via WLAN.
Then I plugged in the printer and it was unresponsive. Maybe I made a mistake and will try again.

A chat with TPLink revealed that only the 610 outdoor is repeater-capable. I hadn't fully understood this, as it is supplied with power via the LAN socket using an injector.

I will report back ;)

Thank you very  much!

Frank

Options
2023-12-14 16:06:08

What a shame.

Up and running now. The TPlink chat told me that shouldn't work. Maybe I waited not long enough the first time.

GREAT und thanks again and again ;)

Frank

Options
2023-12-14 16:16:52

@Liftboy 

That's the joy of the community support from people who have already 'been there, done that' :). Glückliche Zeiten!

Options
2023-12-14 16:32:19

@d0ugmac1 

Langsam begreife ich das "Zeugs".

Für DIih ebenso und lieben Dank.

Ich werde nur noch schauen müssen warum eine dahinter liegende Fritzbox (only DECT) nach kurzer Zeit kein Telefon machen will (vermutlich DNS). Dazu poste ich  mal im Bereich Routers, oder wird man dann gesteinigt ;)? Egal, ich werde es heraus finden. Fröhliche Tage!

Options
2023-12-14 16:44:38

@Liftboy LOL!

I used to have a problem with my SIP provider and my ATA timing out after a period and I would have to reboot the ATA to re-establish the SIP connection.

Now I find that as long as I have Site->Transmission->NAT->ALG and the SIP ALG enabled, all has been working well for a long time.  I used to have NAT rules and forwarded the SIP ports I used direct to the ATA but the ALG seems to be working well for me in the current version of firmware on my Omada router.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 331

Replies: 9

Related Articles