DHCP not working on WiFi + VLAN

2023-12-19 10:58:58
Model: OC200  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: 5.12.9

Hi all,

I'm a recent beginner and had already setup everything up and running. Most of the settings i left to default.

Problem:

I created three separate LAN networks with each individual VLAN-IDs. I left the default port profile "ALL" (Trunk Port) on all of the Switches Ports.

As soon as i assign a VLAN-ID to a Wifi-Network, DHCP stops working for that wifi.

My Setup

• OC200 v1 - Firmware 5.12.9
  • ER605 v2.0 - Firmware 2.1.2
  • TL-SG2428P v4.0 - Firmware v4.0.1
  • EAP615-Wall(EU) v1.0 - Firmware 1.1.7
  • 2x EAP653(EU) v1.0 - Firmware 1.0.6

I just reset every single device to factory setting and started all over to make sure that I hadn't changed the settings by mistake.

Steps to reproduce :

1. Factory Reset every single device
  2. Connect them all together witihin a new site
  3. Adjust the start of the DHCP-Range of the default LAN to 192.168.0.50/24
  4. Create a wifi "test_novlan" network without VLAN
  5. Create another wifi network "test_vlan" with VLAN set to "1"
  6. Test wifi "test_novlan" : success
  7. Test wifi "test_vlan"
    1. Authentication succeeds
    2. No DHCP-Responses to the Client's DHCPDISCOVER Requests

Screenshots

LAN Network (untouched default - except for dhcp range)

Port profile (100% default)

Switch Ports (100% Default)

Both Wifis

#

I am at a loss and have no starting point for further debugging.

Without Vlans Working via WIfi the whole setup is no use to me :(

Options
7 Reply
Re:DHCP not working on WiFi + VLAN
2023-12-19 18:41:38

@MaxPowers_ 

you cant tagg a vlan on SSID when switch port is untagged. 

so enable VLAN on SSID and type 1 will not work.

deafult vlan is 1 and untagged.

Options
2023-12-20 08:19:19

@MR.S Thanks for your reply. The first ray of hope :) Will try it asap.

If i understand correctly then it should never be possible to distribute the default vlan via "vlan assigned wifi network"? I'm wondering, as this situation should be much more common on the Internet. My plan doesn't seem that exotic to me.

Options
2023-12-20 19:33:01

Create a new LAN that is not VLAN 1.  Make it VLAN 10 (doesn't matter, any valid VLAN ID will work).

Make sure that the LAN has a valid subnet range that does not match your default lan.  make it 192.168.27.0/24.  Make sure DHCP is enables on that new VLAN, and that it has the right subnet range on it.

On your SSID, set the VLAN ID to 10.

Leave the switch ports to All.  That will work fine, that is how mine is set up.

Does this work?

You will need a gateway (router) that will route between VLANs.  If you have an Omada based router, then that configuration should happen automatically.

Options
2024-04-04 14:50:40 - last edited 2024-04-04 15:01:18

I'm sorry that I haven't gotten back to you here. (We were renovating a house with two children and had our hands full).  In addition, the problem seemed to have been solved. At least that's what I thought. But now I'm facing the same problem again:

VLANs

I've got two networks/vlans :

• secure (VLAN1)
  • test (VLAN66)

Most things are on default. Each vlan has got dhcp enabled.

Port Profiles

All Switch Ports are configured with Profile 'all' :

• Native Vlan 1 + untagged.
  • Tagged vlan 66.

WIFI

Then i've created two ssids for wifi :

• Palantir (no vlan)
  • test (VLAN 66)

Almost anything default here too. Nothing special.

Problem

Palantir wifi works fine. test wifi doesnt work at all. With mobile android devices i cant even connect. With one windows 10 device i can connect and get a ip of that range. But i cant reach anything. Even the gateway. As soon as i remove the Vlan from test wifi, everything works like a charm.

I really thought i understand whats happening .. but dont have a clue about this. Especially as there is no error message from where i could start debugging further.

Screenshots

Any help really appreciated.

Options
2024-04-04 15:24:40

@MaxPowers_ 

I don't think this will fix it, but for sure change your DHCP range to 192.168.66.2 - .254.  Since .1 is your gateway.  I would hope that Omada would be smart enough not to hand out .1, but I wouldn't bet on it.  You could even change it to .100 - .254 if you wanted, which would leave you some room for static IPs as well if ever needed.

Options
2024-04-04 16:07:43

@muzicman0 

Thx for your reply.

Unfortunately didn't help. But these were also the default settings from omada when creating a new network.

Options
2024-04-05 13:44:39 - last edited 2024-04-05 21:52:05

I have now taken a free switch port and configured VLAN66 there as a native, untagged VLAN. DHCP range in the VLAN starts at .100. I have connected a laptop there via cable and the client is also correctly assigned the IP .100. So far so good. However, I cannot get a connection to the Internet or apparently to the gateway. I get the default gateway 192.168.66.1 set automatically (correctly) via DHCP. However, I cannot reach the gateway via ICMP ping.

With a second client that is in the default VLAN (192.168.0.1), I can reach 192.168.66.1 via ICMP ping. However, the client at 192.168.66.100 cannot be reached either. I do not understand why.

# edit

I've created a new thread as narrowed it down and it has nothing to do with wifi+vlans. this thread can be closed.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 815

Replies: 7

Related Articles