Votes

DHCP Reservations outside the DHCP Range

2023-12-20 22:43:38
Model: OC200  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

Currently when trying to assign a static IP for a device through DHCP reservations, you can not enter an IP outside the DHCP range. With my networks in the past I have always set my DHCP range to be .100 to .249, Leaving the end open for switches and the first 100 for dedicated IPs. I know I could just open the range up, but then devices start taking my static IPs automatically, so for example, I use .30 - .39 for ip phones. Assuming I assign 3 phones on day one, if I go to ad a 4th, some other device will have that IP already, forcing me to reset so my reservations get set and everything else gets assigned around them.

TLDR: Allow DHCP reservations within the subnet, but outside the DHCP Range. 

Options
5 Reply
Re:DHCP Reservations outside the DHCP Range
2023-12-21 08:13:23

Hi @JAP42 

Thanks for posting in our business forum.

No. It is not the problem with the device. If the IP is taken, you should wait for its lease time to be over and assign it again. Or you can do whatever you can, reboot or change its IP to a different one to free the IP. So another device can use it again.

Your title is not related to the issue you experienced. I tested it and I can set my computer to an IP outside the DHCP range when this IP is not occupied.

Best Regards! If you are new to the forum, please read: Howto - A Guide to Use Forum Effectively. Read Before You Post. Look for a model? Search your model NOW Beta firmware got some NEW features! Subscribe for the latest update!Download Beta Here☚ ☛ ★ Configuration Guide ★ ☚ ☛ ★ Knowledge Base ★ ☚ ☛ ★ Troubleshooting Manual ★ ☚ (Disclaimer: Short links are used above solely for guidance to TP-Link subdomains and are safe and tracker-free. Exercise caution with short links from non-official members on forums. We are not liable for external content or damage from non-official members' link use.)
Options
2023-12-21 23:44:53

@Clive_A you can set a static IP on the client side. I'm talking about setting DHCP reservations on the server side. If you try to set one outside the set DHCP range there's an error message, and you can not save it. I prefer to set static IPS on the server side, in the off chance I have to drop in another device I know my clients will connect and be accessible. It's a convenience thing for sure, and have the warning is helpful, but it would be nice to be able to save anyway. 

Options
2023-12-22 03:40:11 - last edited 2023-12-22 03:40:42

@JAP42 

Aren't we talking about the same thing?

Best Regards! If you are new to the forum, please read: Howto - A Guide to Use Forum Effectively. Read Before You Post. Look for a model? Search your model NOW Beta firmware got some NEW features! Subscribe for the latest update!Download Beta Here☚ ☛ ★ Configuration Guide ★ ☚ ☛ ★ Knowledge Base ★ ☚ ☛ ★ Troubleshooting Manual ★ ☚ (Disclaimer: Short links are used above solely for guidance to TP-Link subdomains and are safe and tracker-free. Exercise caution with short links from non-official members on forums. We are not liable for external content or damage from non-official members' link use.)
Options
2023-12-22 13:38:28

@Clive_A 

Where is that list of reservations? The only way I have been able to set reservations is to go to the individual client and set them. 

Settings

Options
2023-12-26 01:50:18

Hi @JAP42 

Thanks for posting in our business forum.

Go to the User Guide of your controller, search "DHCP reservation" and you should find it there.

Options

Information

Helpful: 2

Views: 256

Replies: 5

Voters 2