No Way - What made TP-Link change their mind?

2023-12-21 21:52:33
Model: ER605 (TL-R605) Ā 
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: 1.3.1

@TP-Link ,

After nearly a year of people being censored, being told the new routers we had just purchased were no longer being supported I awake to a notification from Home Assistant.

TP-LINK NEW FIRMWARE 

What ? What is this? Is it Christmas already? Ohh no am I dead? 

I went through all the emotions this fine raining morning as I make my morning brew. 

I'm alive, I have lost an arm or a leg, yes I still have sheitty toddler nappies that need change. I'm confused, as I sit with my brew finally. It's confirmed. 

TP-link has changed their mind, an entire year later and give us Firmware version 1.3.1 build 20231207. Ohh many must be jumping in joy, the weak code provided to us last firmware version allowing enticing TCP Attacks and being to the solution to stop the error logs was simply to just unblock the attacks. 

That's until you read the release note: This firmware fixed some known security vulnerabilities.

Great TP-Link šŸ‘,  12 months, another bull sheit firmware, still telling your customers either you keep up with buying our hardware releases or go unsupported with our software.

Very Christmas šŸŽ„ TP-Link the largest IT company with the most potential still throwing it down the drain letting your competitors gain the advantage as we migrate away. 

Ā  1 Ā  Ā  Ā 
Ā  1 Ā  Ā  Ā 
Options
22 Reply
Re:No Way - What made TP-Link change their mind?
2023-12-22 01:58:15

Hi @Npallavi 

First things first, your tone is not proper and if you wanna discuss this with me, I am open to it. Say things based on facts.

Npallavi wrote

@TP-Link ,

After nearly a year of people being censored, being told the new routers we had just purchased were no longer being supported I awake to a notification from Home Assistant.

What makes you accuse us of censorship? Prove it.

Fact is if you violate the community guidelines, and you get banned or deleted, why so mad? You'll get banned anywhere not just here and you are not an exception but a nobody violating the guidelines. A grownup can take responsibility for the misconduct.

I can find the guideline if you violate it and the deleted post and work with you to cross-check if you want to appeal while you think you are innocent.

So either stop being negative and making false accusations and profanities. I am NOT gonna delete your post even though you say these profanities. Instead, I think it would be a great choice to state our attitude towards such a fake accusation.

Npallavi wrote

@TP-Link ,

Great TP-Link šŸ‘,  12 months, another bull sheit firmware, still telling your customers either you keep up with buying our hardware releases or go unsupported with our software.

Very Christmas šŸŽ„ TP-Link the largest IT company with the most potential still throwing it down the drain letting your competitors gain the advantage as we migrate away. 

So, I have also ITERATED this on the forum that the hardware on V1 is limited and cannot add new features. ER605 V1 is the very first model back 3 years ago. ER605 V2 was released 2 years ago. ER605 V2 is still adding new features now that it is 2 years old now.

If you wanna migrate away, it is okay. This is a normal hardware upgrade and you are making a thing out of it. I am not gonna censor you because of this.

Best Regards! If you are new to the forum, please read: Howto - A Guide to Use Forum Effectively. Read Before You Post. Look for a model? Search your model NOW Beta firmware got some NEW features! Subscribe for the latest update! ā˜›Download Beta Hereā˜š ā˜› ā˜… Configuration Guide ā˜… ā˜š ā˜› ā˜… Knowledge Base ā˜… ā˜š ā˜› ā˜… Troubleshooting Manual ā˜… ā˜š (Disclaimer: Short links are used above solely for guidance to TP-Link subdomains and are safe and tracker-free. Exercise caution with short links from non-official members on forums. We are not liable for external content or damage from non-official members' link use.)
Ā  1 Ā 
Ā  1 Ā 
Options
2023-12-22 02:11:42

Hello @Npallavi 

Do you use iOS? Android? Windows?

So iOS17 stopped supporting iPhone X and the previous gen because of hardware limits.

Android stopped supporting 32-bit apps because of system design and migrating to better hardware 64-bit would be the choice.

Windows 10 Ver 22H2 will be the last upgrade of Windows 10 (in 2022) and MS will stop providing any security patches and bug fixes by 2025.

Is there any possibility of revamping the latest system to adapt to the old hardware? Yes. Everything's possible. Is it worth all the effort to optimize and adapt iOS17 to work smoothly on iPhone X or previous models even if the hardware may not support them well? Same applies to other systems. If the new features are gonna take many hardware resources and the old hardware cannot support them well, why do you push it? You are free to adjust the codes yourself by voiding the warranty to make it better if you can code them into a better version.

Best Regards! If you are new to the forum, please read: Howto - A Guide to Use Forum Effectively. Read Before You Post. Look for a model? Search your model NOW Beta firmware got some NEW features! Subscribe for the latest update! ā˜›Download Beta Hereā˜š ā˜› ā˜… Configuration Guide ā˜… ā˜š ā˜› ā˜… Knowledge Base ā˜… ā˜š ā˜› ā˜… Troubleshooting Manual ā˜… ā˜š (Disclaimer: Short links are used above solely for guidance to TP-Link subdomains and are safe and tracker-free. Exercise caution with short links from non-official members on forums. We are not liable for external content or damage from non-official members' link use.)
Ā  1 Ā 
Ā  1 Ā 
Options
2023-12-24 11:11:39

@Clive_A 

I get your point Clive, however TP-link were still flogging old stock to resellers V1 was all I could at the time find in the market place. then it was 6months after purchase the issues stated and people were being blocked for trying to get support.

The worst part is it was related to security, they wanted nothing to do with supporting a new firmware. Not only that, the firmware releases are getting worse and worse, their focus seems to be flogging " New " hardware, as they arnt making money with software. Additionally, such focus on the consumer IOT market is probably a distraction too  

Ā  0 Ā 
Ā  0 Ā 
Options
2023-12-24 11:15:49

@Clive_A 

Just one instance of other talking about what was happening some time ago, Im not going to sit here and drag other Forums in to the discussion, that would not be fair for those Forums. However, there are numberous people that have either been talking about it or were stating of being banned. 

Ā  0 Ā 
Ā  0 Ā 
Options
2023-12-24 12:39:20

@Npallavi I'll play the devil's advocate,

there are two recent threads where TP-Link have mentioned that one final firmware is in the works for v1 where some bugs will be fixed even though the platform is EOL,

one case is here https://community.tp-link.com/en/business/forum/topic/610802 ("It's planned to optimize the event notification of "TCP no-Flag attack" in future iterations of the ER605 v1.")

and a second quote is here https://community.tp-link.com/en/business/forum/topic/609288?replyId=1280242 ("it is alleged that there will be another firmware update for ER605 V1 to fix some security issues and bugs.")

if we take those two quotes at face value, we may look at the recent releases a bit differently,

these are the recently released/announced firmware updates:

ER605 V1_1.3.1 Build 20231207 Official Firmware (Released on Dec 21st, 2023)

ER605 V2_2.2.3 Build 20231201 Official Firmware (Released on Dec 21st, 2023)

ER706W(EU) V1_1.0.2 Build 20231020 Official Firmware (Released on Nov 17th, 2023)

ER706W-4G(EU) V1_1.0.1 Build 20231129 Official Firmware (Released on Dec 13th, 2023)

what is common to all of them? some variation of this phrasing "Fixed the platform security vulnerability."

my guess would be that some security bug was found in those devices and had to be patched asap as a critical update, and only other critical issues were merged together with this fix into the production branch.

supporting fact is that the fix which was "promised" for the no-Flag logs is not there, nor the dynamic dns fix, and since those are lower priority commits, they were not pushed out with this fix.

so we can either sit and wait for the next release patiently, whenever such a fix may arrive, or we can just move on. (either by upgrading to v2, or waiting for v3, or moving to something completely different)

personally, i'm not going to buy v2 since that is a repeat mistake of buying a not-so-new device, i'll wait for v3 or until some extraordinary sale event happens, or maybe it just dies one day and i'll be forced to buy a v2. who knows.

Ā  0 Ā 
Ā  0 Ā 
Options
2023-12-24 18:44:21

@Npallavi 

This shows how green you are to the I.T. game... I've been in the game for 20 years.  Product come and go from all types of vendors.  High end and affordable ones.  It's the name of the game.  I've bought $7k Cisco switch that went EOL and had to replace less than 5 years.  Cisco told me to go kick rocks.  Guess what... had to buy another one!  

I've already replaced my V1's with V2's... but I specially order the V2's from my reseller.  They confirmed that all they get in are V2's. My company ate $200 or less. It happens!  

Replacing an $60 router for your home (if you're a prosumer) shouldn't too hard on your budget.  

You should go back in time when prosumers were buying the USG-XG for $1000+ and UI dropped it a few months later.  That's a hard thing to chew on, bruh!  

I can not teach anyone anything - I can only make them think - Socrates
Ā  0 Ā 
Ā  0 Ā 
Options
2023-12-25 01:38:15

@Npallavi 

Npallavi wrote

@Clive_A 

Just one instance of other talking about what was happening some time ago, Im not going to sit here and drag other Forums in to the discussion, that would not be fair for those Forums. However, there are numberous people that have either been talking about it or were stating of being banned. 

You wanna know why he's been banned? So, here's the story.

First, he registered more than 1 account and came to the forum and spammed the forum with this account. This is not his main account and I am not gonna tell you his real forum nickname but that's the fact.

Second, he was banned twice. He was banned for the slur and cursing to others on the forum and got banned. He appealed and we unbanned his main account. And after the first ban, he did not change at all and started cursing us. And this is the second ban.

Then, he became a hater and spammed with inappropriate and hateful speech on the forum with this new account and used third-party software to increase the views and Kudos on this account. He got banned again.

Let me tell you that you are on the edge of getting banned for the OP in which you said all the slurs. I don't bother to ban you because it is not necessary and it is your power to speak whatever you want. But if you got banned by the system or other moderators, reap what you sow. I have told you in the previous reply that I am NOT gonna BAN you.

I am a person who supports free speech, privacy respect, and freedom under the laws and restrictions. I think I need to speak based on the basic fact checks and be as truthful as possible ever since I entered this company. That's my baseline. I follow my inner baseline and rules on the community to anyone though I think you violated and you should be banned but I did not do it.

Anyway, you should follow the rules and guidelines of the community. Try these slurs and cursing somewhere else on social media, basically, you got banned after several minutes. And there is no appeal if you violate the slur and cursing.

We are pretty tolerant of the slurs and improper wording from the customers. Rarely, does it trigger the ban or manual ban. Note that I am not the only moderator on the forum and there are many others who take no mercy to the violations.

Ā  1 Ā 
Ā  1 Ā 
Options
2023-12-25 01:59:11

@Npallavi 

Npallavi wrote

@Clive_A 

I get your point Clive, however TP-link were still flogging old stock to resellers V1 was all I could at the time find in the market place. then it was 6months after purchase the issues stated and people were being blocked for trying to get support.

The worst part is it was related to security, they wanted nothing to do with supporting a new firmware. Not only that, the firmware releases are getting worse and worse, their focus seems to be flogging " New " hardware, as they arnt making money with software. Additionally, such focus on the consumer IOT market is probably a distraction too  

We are the manufacturer and we cannot control what's on the market. During my work, I even took care of cases where people came to us with an ancient model like V1 while we are selling V5 now. He bought it from an ebay retailer with a super cheap price. So, we should be blamed and obliged to take this old back? It does not work in that way.

We distribute the products to the market retailers at a price that they can profit. But this is the end of the story. They sell them and we provide the support. If they have the remains of old hardware, we cannot control it and we don't recycle what's been sold because the deal is done when the money and stock are delivered. I don't see why it would blame us.

Like I said if the V1 got limited hardware resources and there is not much space for us to optimize and add new features, why would we do it if it is a fact that cannot be changed? We cannot bend the truth and fact and we have our concerns as well. I have explained we need to leave some space for the system to run stably. We cannot eat all the hardware resources by blindlessly adding features and letting it boot up and stay there. You may be not but others would have tons of configs and they need to be executed by taking up the resources. And need to consider stability after the configs are executed.

EOL models don't have high priority in the assignment of dev resources. It would be better to keep it status quo.

Ā  1 Ā 
Ā  1 Ā 
Options
2023-12-25 03:12:07

@KimcheeGUN 

Hey, whilst I'm not as old you, you'll find me in multinational positions supporting manufacturers with CAD,CAM,CAE with leading AM solutions revolutionising how they take products to market, adopting mvp strategies, BI strategies that feed back in to PM and PLM strategies. 

So not green, actually quite knowable I'm successful strategies for manufacturers to remain profitable and continue to improve offerings.

Ā  0 Ā 
Ā  0 Ā 
Options
2023-12-28 18:55:55

Clive_A wrote

We are the manufacturer and we cannot control what's on the market. During my work, I even took care of cases where people came to us with an ancient model like V1 while we are selling V5 now. He bought it from an ebay retailer with a super cheap price. So, we should be blamed and obliged to take this old back? It does not work in that way.

@Clive_A 

You dont see an issue releasing 5 hardware versions in such a short period of time the ER605 was released in 2020 if I remember correctly. This means in 3 years you have release 5 hardware versions. You dont see that an issue? Essentally, TP-link is saying we produce products and dont expect them to have an EOL of more that 12months and expect customers to continually buy hardware to cover the cost of the Omada software. 

You should suport devices purchased via offical channels, Even I wouldnt expect TP-link to support a device purchased on the grey market. 

Unfortunately Clive, even the latest release hasnt resolved the software issue we have faced for the last 12 months, I can say the issue has improved, not resolved though

Ā  1 Ā 
Ā  1 Ā 
Options

Information

Helpful: 1

Views: 1317

Replies: 22

Related Articles