ER605 v2.0 Time not saving

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

ER605 v2.0 Time not saving

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
19 Reply
Re:ER605 v2.0 Time not saving
2024-01-06 02:13:34 - last edited 2024-01-08 23:33:26

Options
2024-01-08 23:34:51

Hi @Clive_A ,

Just touching base to see if there was any progress on this issue.

Options
2024-01-09 05:54:33

Hi @zinzinzinzin 

Thanks for posting in our business forum.

It does not keep the time when it is off power. When you reboot it, it'll flush the time and will sync with the Internet if you have Internet or manually sync with the computer.

Best Regards! If you are new to the forum, please read: Howto - A Guide to Use Forum Effectively. Read Before You Post. Look for a model? Search your model NOW Official and Beta firmware. NEW features! Subscribe for the latest update!Download Beta Here☚ ☛ ★ Configuration Guide ★ ☚ ☛ ★ Knowledge Base ★ ☚ ☛ ★ Troubleshooting Manual ★ ☚ ● Be kind and nice. ● Stay on the topic. ● Post details. ● Search first. Don't be a lazy asker. ● Please don't take it for granted. ● No email confidentiality should be violated. ● S/N, MAC, and your true public IP should be mosaiced.
Options
2024-01-09 07:16:22

Clive_A wrote

Hi @zinzinzinzin 

It does not keep the time when it is off power. When you reboot it, it'll flush the time and will sync with the Internet if you have Internet or manually sync with the computer.

Hi @Clive_A ,

Thank you for your reply. 

Is it possible to get the developers to add it in future firmware for it to at least keep the time saved before power reboot?

I think I understand why you would want to check the time especially if there are no batteries to save this data.

I thought I could use it as a standalone (no internet) but I'll have to either get network connectivity to it or get a standalone NTP server.

Thank you again

Options
Re:ER605 v2.0 Time not saving-Solution
2024-01-09 08:52:33 - last edited 2024-01-16 09:59:23

Hi @zinzinzinzin 

zinzinzinzin wrote

Clive_A wrote

Hi @zinzinzinzin 

Hi @Clive_A ,

Is it possible to get the developers to add it in future firmware for it to at least keep the time saved before power reboot?

I think I understand why you would want to check the time especially if there are no batteries to save this data.

I thought I could use it as a standalone (no internet) but I'll have to either get network connectivity to it or get a standalone NTP server.

Thank you again

If you have a controller, the controller will sync the date with the router. But if you don't, basically, the time cannot sync correctly after a reboot. It is the same on the router, switch, and EAP. They don't keep the time after the power off.

The router has its own built-in NTP server and will sync when it boots up, but in a pure local network, it would not work.

Or let the controller sync with your own local NTP.

Best Regards! If you are new to the forum, please read: Howto - A Guide to Use Forum Effectively. Read Before You Post. Look for a model? Search your model NOW Official and Beta firmware. NEW features! Subscribe for the latest update!Download Beta Here☚ ☛ ★ Configuration Guide ★ ☚ ☛ ★ Knowledge Base ★ ☚ ☛ ★ Troubleshooting Manual ★ ☚ ● Be kind and nice. ● Stay on the topic. ● Post details. ● Search first. Don't be a lazy asker. ● Please don't take it for granted. ● No email confidentiality should be violated. ● S/N, MAC, and your true public IP should be mosaiced.
Recommended Solution
Options
2024-01-15 11:18:57

Clive_A wrote

Hi @zinzinzinzin 

zinzinzinzin wrote

Clive_A wrote

Hi @zinzinzinzin 

Hi @Clive_A ,

Is it possible to get the developers to add it in future firmware for it to at least......

If you have a controller, the controller will sync the date with the router. But if you don't, basically, the time cannot sync correctly after a reboot. It is the same on the router, switch, and EAP. They don't keep the time after the power off.

The router has its own built-in NTP server and will sync when it boots up, but in a pure local network, it would not work.

Or let the controller sync with your own local NTP.

Hi  @Clive_A ,

Fair enough.

Happy for you to close this thread.

Thank you again for checking for me

Options
2024-01-25 03:24:32

Hi  @Clive_A 

Just a quick one (more of a suggestion for future hardware for the development team) - i was reading this from another non switch device and found this interesting

"includes a Real Time Clock (RTC) with a supercapacitor that backs up the clock settings when it is power cycled. "

The size of the device is similar to the ER605.. maybe in the next hardware iteration :)

Options
2024-01-25 03:30:04

Hi @zinzinzinzin 

zinzinzinzin wrote

Hi  @Clive_A 

Just a quick one (more of a suggestion for future hardware for the development team) - i was reading this from another non switch device and found this interesting

"includes a Real Time Clock (RTC) with a supercapacitor that backs up the clock settings when it is power cycled. "

The size of the device is similar to the ER605.. maybe in the next hardware iteration :)

Appreciate your idea. But will this supercapacitor require power? If it is during the power cut, it still does not sync. I am not very sure how it works but looks like most devices if they don't get power, need to at least sync with the Internet once after power recovers.

Then this supercapacitor would work again. If the Internet does not sync the time, this little device will not work either as it does not show the correct time because of out of sync.

Options
2024-01-25 03:41:28

Hi  @Clive_A 

This would help in a situation where

• time was set manually rather than through NTP server and 
  • just doing a maintenance reboot.

The supercapacitor is a bit like a battery that can hold some charge for a small amount of time and once power (to charge) is taken out, it will start working like a battery. It is not designed for long use like a normal battery but more like a short term burst for those kind of situations.

Power cut / failure on the other side is a different story and unless there is a better way, then a UPS should really be in the picture.

Acutally now that you've ask the question, I think this is how a motherboard keeps the time even if power is removed for a longer time -->

"An RTC is an electronic device, generally an integrated circuit (IC), which keeps track of the current time and maintains accurate time in electronic systems. It is basically like a timepiece that runs on a battery and maintains current time, even when the main power supply goes off."

however in case of a network device like the ER605, you wouldnt want them to open it up to change the battery every year or so, which is probably why a capacitor or supercapacitor might be more appropriate.

Hope that helps 

Options
Related Articles