v5.13 software controller, issue with Terminal establishment?

2024-01-01 18:38:12 - last edited 2024-01-08 02:48:13
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version: 5.13.22

After updating to v5.13, and underlying devices to latest, I am unable to establish a terminal session (new feature with latest software) to either:

- EAP615-wall v1.2.3

- SG2210P v5.20

Both start with a 'Succeeded' message, and then in the log window: connecting, and after 30s or so, then report connection timeout:

I am running the Linux Controller v5.13.22 in a Docker container (host networking) on a Pi4 Clone.  The container has an IP on the same subnet as the devices.  I can't think of any reason why the controller wouldn't be able to establish communications with the devices it manages.  Am I being stupid, or is there a problem here?

<< Paying it forward, one juicy problem at a time... >>
Options
1 Accepted Solution
Re:v5.13 software controller, issue with Terminal establishment?-Solution
2024-01-05 15:30:54 - last edited 2024-01-08 02:48:13

@d0ugmac1 

Ok, firewall it is, I just tried from a fresh Mac and terminal establishment went fine.

That said, why is the terminal session established direct between the enduser device and the network device, the whole point of having a controller is to abstract the need for one to have direct network access to the device.  It should be enough for the controller to have access, and then relay/proxy the IN/OUT traffic from the terminal source to the end user browser window, it is just text afterall!

I don't think FW and/or ACL should be allowed to interfere with a Controller based tool, otherwise what's the point?  I'll file a feature request with a little more detail shortly.

Recommended Solution
Options
4 Reply
Re:v5.13 software controller, issue with Terminal establishment?
2024-01-04 03:20:17 - last edited 2024-01-04 03:22:18

Hi @d0ugmac1

Thanks for reporting this issue to TP-Link community!

Did you have any ACL settings? Please check whether there is a Firewall or the anti-virus software blocking the traffic.

Please tell us the firmware version of your switch. And the Terminal feature has been added from controller v5.9, may I confirm whether the issue you reported occurred after upgrading to v5.13?

Best Regards! >> Omada EAP Firmware Trial Available Here << >> Get the Latest Omada SDN Controller Releases Here << *Try filtering posts on each forum by Label of [Early Access]*
Options
2024-01-04 12:59:43

@Hank21 

Did you have any ACL settings? -- ONLY BETWEEN SSID VLAN/SUBNETS.  NOTHING ON VLAN1.  COMMUNICATION IS BETWEEN DEVICE AND CONTROLLER RIGHT?

Please check whether there is a Firewall or the anti-virus software blocking the traffic.-- AS ABOVE, EVEN IF LAPTOP HAD FIREWALL, I AM VIEWING OUTPUT VIA A BROWSER TO THE CONTROLLER WHICH CLEARLY WORKS, SO FW OR AV IRRELEVANT?

Please tell us the firmware version of your switch. -- SEE ABOVE IMAGE

And the Terminal feature has been added from controller v5.9, may I confirm whether the issue you reported occurred after upgrading to v5.13? -- V5.9 DID NOT OFFER THE NEW FIRMWARE UPGRADE OPTION.  IT ONLY APPEARED WITH 5.13, SO I DID NOT TEST WITH PREVIOUS CONTROLLER VERSION.

Options
2024-01-05 06:03:14

Hi @d0ugmac1

d0ugmac1 wrote

Please check whether there is a Firewall or the anti-virus software blocking the traffic.-- AS ABOVE, EVEN IF LAPTOP HAD FIREWALL, I AM VIEWING OUTPUT VIA A BROWSER TO THE CONTROLLER WHICH CLEARLY WORKS, SO FW OR AV IRRELEVANT?

Please turn off the firewall just for testing, let's get this most likely factor out of the way first.

Could you capture the packets of the Laptop that installed the Controller when this issue occurs next time?

Best Regards! >> Omada EAP Firmware Trial Available Here << >> Get the Latest Omada SDN Controller Releases Here << *Try filtering posts on each forum by Label of [Early Access]*
Options
Re:v5.13 software controller, issue with Terminal establishment?-Solution
2024-01-05 15:30:54 - last edited 2024-01-08 02:48:13

@d0ugmac1 

Ok, firewall it is, I just tried from a fresh Mac and terminal establishment went fine.

That said, why is the terminal session established direct between the enduser device and the network device, the whole point of having a controller is to abstract the need for one to have direct network access to the device.  It should be enough for the controller to have access, and then relay/proxy the IN/OUT traffic from the terminal source to the end user browser window, it is just text afterall!

I don't think FW and/or ACL should be allowed to interfere with a Controller based tool, otherwise what's the point?  I'll file a feature request with a little more detail shortly.

Recommended Solution
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 201

Replies: 4

Related Articles