Some cell phones will not autoconnect to Omada wifi

2024-01-07 20:33:41
Model: EAP650  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: 1.0.6

Over the past year, there have been some issues with cell phones failing to autoconnect to Omada wifi.  I have not ruled out the possibility this is a phone issue, but I have not ruled out the possibility that something on the Omada wireless side is the cause.  Two Samsung A51's are the most problematic.

I am just wondering if there are known issues with some phones  are having difficulty with the Omada wifi.

Options
4 Reply
Re:Some cell phones will not autoconnect to Omada wifi
2024-01-08 09:47:24

@Randy_B 

I must say you asked too wide and hard to reply. If you wander in this community, you can see everywhere teaching how to search and how to use the tag, like here and here.

Let me do you a favor, EAP650 has a beta firmware you can try on the pinned post here.

Just striving to develop myself while helping others.
Options
2024-01-09 00:16:45

@Virgo Thank you for your explanation and for sharing the beta firmware for the Omada controller.  It is helpful. My Omada controller is at version 5.12.9 when the beta is only 5.9.  The firmware in that document for the EAP650 is 1.0.10, and my devices were updated through Omada just before Christmas to 1.0.6.  I am hesitant to try a Beta version given that one person in my home works remotely full time, and two College students have some courses through video.

I do concede my question is wide, but I am also fishing for reports of phones that are generally failing to autoconnect on Omada wireless networks, or other problems. I intend to replace two older phones this year, and they also happen to be the devices giving me the most problems on the wireless network.  My network includes two EAP650's and an EAP615. 

Specifically, I own two Samsung A51 cell phones and I have been troubleshooting and going through the Samsung solutions for the problem for close to a year now.  I am seeing on forums for Samsung and Apple that some devices have issues with tp-link wireless networks, but I have not found those posts helpful. 

The problems seem to come and go, and not always after a change or update. Other wireless devices in the home are not having this specific problem, including a Samsung A52 and an older Samsung tablet. However, some students are reporting that their iPhones sometimes disconnect from the network for no apparent reason while the Amazon Firestick continues to stream off the same network. The frequency of the disconnects has not caused them to complain about the issue.

There were two clear instances in late 2023 where a change triggered the A51s to fail to auto-connect.  On Nov 13, I ran an AI optimisation, and all three APs on my network were reassigned 5Ghz channels. There is a fair amount of congestion in my neighbourhood; I see 31 SSIDs from inside my home.  The previous optimization was about a year before, and this optimization improved my network from 54% to 74%.  Omada recommended another optimization on Dec 15, and this time only one of six channels at 2.4 and 5Ghz remained the same, five channels were changed.  Power levels were also adjusted, but Omada reported 0% optimization in performance.  Both optimisations triggered the fail to autoconnect on both A51's.  On Nov 14, I ended up having to reboot the phone into maintenance mode to delete the network cache, and reset the cache after starting.  This allowed my phone to autoconnect again until Dec 15, when I went through the process to fix the autoconnect problem again, but this time, the Samsung solution did not work after a couple of attempts.

Last week, out of frustration, I reset one A51 to factory default and selectively restored files rather than doing a full restore that might potentially duplicate the problem. But even before I started restoring my phone after the factory reset, the phone would not auto-connect to the network after a reboot or turning the wifi off and back on. Despite my efforts for a selective restore, we visited family over the holidays and to my surprise, I auto connected to their wifis without having to enter their passwords again. Because I had to pair all my Bluetooth devices after the reset to factory, I fully expected to have to ask for their wifi passwords to get on their networks as if I had never been on them before.

I have suspected that with the upgrade to the 650's and 615, the wifi 6 or wifi 7 settings might be the culprit. One day I tested these options in the various configurations when the A51's were not autconnecting, and I could not find a setting that allowed the A51 to start autoreconnecting.  My testing included turning off the 6Ghz wifi channel.

At this point, the A51's will be replaced sometime over the next few months.  I hope to find a solution before then, or at least understand the problem.

Options
2024-01-09 03:19:29

@Randy_B 

I have to say, based on your description, the problem still looks more likely to be in your A51. If you though it might be caused by the EAP firmware upgrade, you could back up the configuration, downgrade back to the previous version and see if the problem is solved if the network allows for testing, that's the easiest comparison test.

Doing the wireless environment optimization is not only the AI WLAN option, this article has more methods.

Just striving to develop myself while helping others.
Options
2024-01-10 11:05:50

@Virgo Thank you for your reply.  I appreciate having a second opinion on the A51, as it is a frustrating problem that is causing me to hesitate considering replacing the A51's with another Samsung phone this year.  My phone is currently on a streak (3x) of autoconnecting to the wifi again.

I must admit that I have become lazy and I have been using the AI tuning.  I worked in IT for over 30 years before my retirement 7 years ago and I used to monitor and modify my wifi channels as my neighbours started using wifi.

But in looking for where to manually work with the settings in Omada, I have realized that the Config options for each of my three EAP's does not produce a configuration screen.  I have the configuration screen for my router and switch.

I will have to look into that later today.

Options