ER605 VPN Client

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

ER605 VPN Client

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
ER605 VPN Client
ER605 VPN Client
2024-01-11 10:51:55
Model: ER605 (TL-R605)  
Hardware Version: V2
Firmware Version: 2.3

Hello

I have connected the ER605 to my network as secondary router. I tried to configure VPN client, but no success.

My network environment is as following:

Main router connected to internet with Lan ip 192.168.1.1

ER605 connected to main router through WAN port with static WAN ip 192.168.1.4 and LAN IP 192.168.2.1

I have a VPN server(build on raspberrypi sitting in India). My aim is to connect to this server. I have the ovpn file exported from raspberrypi, with dynamic dns hostname.

In the configuration page of ER605 vpn client, it doesnt allow entry of remote dynamic dns, but only ip address.

Could anyone guide with complete proper steps

Options
8 Reply
Re:ER605 VPN Client
2024-01-12 02:16:09

Hi @Navas 

Thanks for posting in our business forum.

Try a different VPN type. There might be an issue with the compatibility with the OVPN server. (Are you using PiVPN?)

If possible, use WireGuard.

Best Regards! If you are new to the forum, please read: Howto - A Guide to Use Forum Effectively. Read Before You Post. Look for a model? Search your model NOW Official and Beta firmware. NEW features! Subscribe for the latest update!Download Beta Here☚ ☛ ★ Configuration Guide ★ ☚ ☛ ★ Knowledge Base ★ ☚ ☛ ★ Troubleshooting Manual ★ ☚ ● Be kind and nice. ● Stay on the topic. ● Post details. ● Search first. Don't be a lazy asker. ● Please don't take it for granted. ● No email confidentiality should be violated. ● S/N, MAC, and your true public IP should be mosaiced.
Options
2024-01-12 05:06:15

@Clive_A Yes I am using pivpn(Openvvpn) and I have the ovpn file ready. The issues I face are 

1. It doesnt accept hostname saying invalid Ipaddress format, though it says ip address/hostname

2. Should i connect the router as primary? Cant I use this as secondary router?

3.  I am still not sure on the entries of ip addresses

Clive_A wrote

Hi @Navas 

Try a different VPN type. There might be an issue with the compatibility with the OVPN server. (Are you using PiVPN?)

Options
2024-01-12 05:41:04

Hi @Navas 

Navas wrote

@Clive_A Yes I am using pivpn(Openvvpn) and I have the ovpn file ready. The issues I face are 

1. It doesnt accept hostname saying invalid Ipaddress format, though it says ip address/hostname

2. Should i connect the router as primary? Cant I use this as secondary router?

3.  I am still not sure on the entries of ip addresses

Clive_A wrote

Hi @Navas 

Some users have reported that pivpn has a compatibility issue. Either it connects but no traffic or you cannot connect to it.

I recommend you use WireGuard instead. If you insist on the pivpn, my support is limited because I had tried to replicate pivpn on my local network and I cannot make it connect and it is not my job to investigate a third-party VPN.

Moreover, the Omada router does not support hostname but IP. You can replace the hostname with a resolved IP address but this is manual.

Best Regards! If you are new to the forum, please read: Howto - A Guide to Use Forum Effectively. Read Before You Post. Look for a model? Search your model NOW Official and Beta firmware. NEW features! Subscribe for the latest update!Download Beta Here☚ ☛ ★ Configuration Guide ★ ☚ ☛ ★ Knowledge Base ★ ☚ ☛ ★ Troubleshooting Manual ★ ☚ ● Be kind and nice. ● Stay on the topic. ● Post details. ● Search first. Don't be a lazy asker. ● Please don't take it for granted. ● No email confidentiality should be violated. ● S/N, MAC, and your true public IP should be mosaiced.
Options
2024-01-12 09:50:14

@Clive_A 

Thanks for the reply. But the ER605 user manual clearly says ip address or hostname. Isn't this misguiding? I purchased this router to use vpn, by reading the user manual and it is very much disappointing if I cant use hostname because my internet ip address is dynamic as you know

If I use wiregurad, could you guide me through the proper steps?

I have wireguard conf file generated from the server, it is below

[Interface]
PrivateKey = iMf/x1rmikxxxxxzqTweFxxxxxxQhJ+2iUgGJxxxxFlrXU4=
Address = 10.xx.xxx.2/24
DNS = 8.8.8.8, 8.8.4.4

[Peer]
PublicKey = cxApDTME+xxxxhJRYjjxxxxZdALnFs+hxxxxGhpUDkq4CU=
PresharedKey = MAmxxxxP0sHiA7365jIxxxxXCzzd9OxxxxRdELD7cd5DZ8=
Endpoint = xxxxxxxx:51820
AllowedIPs = 0.0.0.0/0

Options
2024-01-16 10:54:00
Anybody could help?
Options
2024-01-16 11:24:11 - last edited 2024-01-16 11:24:58

@Navas 

you can not use router as Wireguard client against a wireguard server. the problem is the router interface public key which cannot be changed so that it matches the one you have on the server. 

and hostname is not supported on OpenVPN or Wireguard so you have to use fixed ip.

I would recommend you to use L2TP or ipsec site to site if you do not have a fixed IP. then you can use hostname

Options
2024-01-16 11:40:58

@MR.S 

thanks for the reply

However, the official user manual says ip address or host name. isnt it misguiding/cheating? I purchased this item seeing this description hoping that i could use it as a vpn client either with openvpn or wirreguard, because server is already running on my raspberrypi. somebody said earlier here er605 doesnt support openvpn and advised to use wireguard. Now it turned out that nothing will work and i am screwed. Why does tplink misguide the customer? btw i dont have l2tp subscription. All i want is to conenct to my raspberrypi and use its internet. very disappointed

Options
2024-01-16 12:09:32

@Navas 

I see that it is mentioned on openvpn but not wireguard, but that is not true, it is not possible with a domain name.

that's life. You will probably have to find other solutions to your problem.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 891

Replies: 8

Related Articles