Controller version 5.13.23 released, no release notes and installation trouble

2024-01-12 15:52:01 - last edited 2024-01-12 15:54:26
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: 5.13.23

The new version of the software became available today (which I cannot find in the release information in the community) and I did an upgrade for the first time. If you follow the upgrade instructions it doesn't work as expected. When I shut down the controller (which is installed as a service) then the installer failed with mongod still running - so I waited a few minutes and tried again with the same problem. I went in to task manager and stopped the mongod process and tried a 3rd time. I got the same error - so I looked at the services and found that even though I had shut down the controller, it was still "running". So, I stopped the service from task manager and then stopped the mongo process again and this time the installation/upgrade allowed me to move forward. However, it then failed when it couldn't delete certain directories from the default installation location (in my profile, which is a strange default). I had to delete 3 directories and then it finally installed. After a reboot everything came back up OK.

This was awful and the documentation makes not note of any of these difficulties. Is there a better way to have done the upgrade? I don't want to completely remove the software or I'd likely have to restore the settings from the backup, which seems like wasted effort. Please advise, thanks!

Note: This was my first experience upgrading the software controller, I migrated from an OC300 about a month ago due to restrictions with not being able to handle IDS/IPS

Options
8 Reply
Re:Controller version 5.13.23 released, no release notes and installation trouble
2024-01-12 16:29:53

@OrangeStreet 

Yeaaa. before every upgrade... I always take a backup and a VM snapshot for CYA purposes.  I know that doesnt help now.

But I held off on the upgrade, since I didnt see anything in the InterWebs about it...

I can not teach anyone anything - I can only make them think - Socrates
Options
Re:Controller version 5.13.23 released, no release notes and installation trouble
2024-01-12 23:20:55

@OrangeStreet I installed version 5.13.23 2minutes ago without any problem on Ubuntu 20.04 Focal running on proxmox with no problem.

Just try to reinstall the software. How did you upgrade what document did you follow?

Options
2024-01-13 01:03:13 - last edited 2024-01-13 01:03:59

MrOmada wrote

@OrangeStreet I installed version 5.13.23 2minutes ago without any problem on Ubuntu 20.04 Focal running on proxmox with no problem.

Just try to reinstall the software. How did you upgrade what document did you follow?

I just upgraded (from 5.13.22) on Debian 12 with no problems either, using https://download.tplinkcloud.com/firmware/omada_v5.13.23_linux_x64_20231228194020_1705040408024.deb

Options
2024-01-13 01:14:29

@MrOmada this is a windows installation, not Linux so the process is totally different - I followed the documentation on the latest release page and it is poorly lacking for Windows.

Options
2024-01-13 07:45:57

@OrangeStreet 

I have also set this before on both omada and unifi that mongodb does not stop when it is run as a service. I did an upgrade now where omada run as a service but mongodb stopped and the upgrade went without problems this time.

There is usually no big problem if mongodb does not stop, you get a message that it is still running, then you just have to stop mongodb manually.

You can also deactivate the omada service and restart the computer if you want to be sure that nothing is running when you upgrade.

That this problem is not documented is probably not so strange. Omada as a service is a third-party application that can run certain programs as a service that is not really intended to run as a service, I use nssm to do that on omada and unifi.

Options
2024-01-13 13:20:58

@MR.S My setup is nssm as well. I would have expected the installer to have the ability to stop the services it needs to stop and I still don't understand why it couldn't delete folders that the installer originally created. It wasn't hard to get things upgraded and working but the process was sloppy.

Options
2024-01-14 09:34:29

I will probably ignore this update for 6 months

It's blank just as you said. Is this a push update because of the new year 2024?

Options
2024-01-16 02:35:41

Hi All,

Thanks all for your valuable feedback.

The issue of the blank Release Note has been reported to the R&D department, I will update here once it gets the progress.

Best Regards! >> Omada EAP Firmware Trial Available Here << >> Get the Latest Omada SDN Controller Releases Here << *Try filtering posts on each forum by Label of [Early Access]*
Options